UKC

Which stove?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Fuller 26 Sep 2012
I’ve somehow managed to put off buying a stove for the last seven years and feel it’s now time to get one. I want a remote canister gas stove suitable for backpacking or basecamping that’s cheap to run, boils water quickly, super-reliable and doesn’t weigh too much. It will be used year-round in the UK and in the Alps in summer, cooking for one to four people but most often for two.

I’ve been particularly looking at the MSR Windpro, MSR Windpro II (are there major differences between the two?), Primus Express Spider and Primus Gravity. If someone’s got a recommendation for pots/pans, while we’re on the subject, fire away... Cheers
Phil Payne 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I have one of these and it's surprisingly good considering that it only cost £17 including delivery. Delivery took about 3 weeks, so if you're not in a hurry then I think it's a pretty good deal.

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/outdoor-picnic-gas-burner-portable-camping-foldi...

No doubt someone will be along to knock Chinese quality control and tell you how dangerous it could be, but mine is well built and has been good so far. My MSR whisperlite on the other hand has been nothing but a PITA and is now to dangerous to use because of a crack that developed in the pump so that it sprays fuel everywhere.
cb294 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Don´t get the spider, not enough power and therefore wasting a lot of fuel.

CB
 Harry Ellis 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller: i like my gravity. Nice wide burner and hose is long enough to put canistrr on top of pan in cold weather
Windpro has shorter tube and is dearer but lighter and more compact.
OP Mr Fuller 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller: Cool, thanks. I will probably avoid the Chinese one because I know in the back of my mind will be the, probably unfounded, belief that it will be less reliable than a branded stove. I too thought the Spider looked low on power, so I guess it's just the other three in the running: the two Windpros and the Gravity. Anyone had experience of both the Windpros?
 stonemaster 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil Payne: Interesting. What sort of gas cylinders does this fit?
jolivague 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller: I have a Primus ETA - boils water faster than any other stove I've ever used, weighs seemingly bugger all. Definitely more suited to backpacking than basecamping though.
Phil Payne 26 Sep 2012
 stonemaster 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil Payne: Ta for that.
 Reach>Talent 26 Sep 2012
In reply to cb294:
Don´t get the spider, not enough power and therefore wasting a lot of fuel.

What are you comparing it to, a Saturn5 rocket? The Spider kicks out a fair bit of heat (better than a pocket rocket) and can be used with an inverted cylinder if you are careful. While it isn't an MSR XGK I don't think it is under-powered.
 t_hume 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller: I can't fault my Primus Express Spider. Very, very efficient and easy to cook real food on. Not sure what it would be like for cooking for four people mind.
Phil Payne 26 Sep 2012
In reply to stonemaster:

Another site I use has a much bigger choice of stoves: http://www.dinodirect.com/se-camping-stove-2052Grid/currency-GBP.html
 geordiepie 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller:

> I’ve been particularly looking at the MSR Windpro, MSR Windpro II (are there major differences between the two?)

As far as I can tell the only difference is that you get a stand to invert gas canisters with the WindPro II.

I have the original and it's reasonably light, kicks out loads of heat and is very stable.
 Steve Perry 26 Sep 2012
In reply to thegoatstroker: I'm with you on this one, the canister on top is perfect in winter and the Gravity also has a low profile making it more difficult to knock over.
 Reach>Talent 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent:
Well I've just looked up the figures and apparently the rocket kicks out a lot more heat, my boil time comparisons must be some sort of localised fluke.
In reply to Mr Fuller:
> I want a remote canister gas stove suitable for backpacking or basecamping

Well there's a problem from the off and you're going to have to make some compromises. You could get a stove that will pass muster at both but you'll be forever paying penalty either with the weight you carry in your rucksack or with the inconvenience you encounter when you aren't. Which do you do the most, backpack or walk from a base? Get a stove that will do that, then get another one that will do the other activity.

> that’s cheap to run, boils water quickly, super-reliable and doesn’t weigh too much.

Though I'm sure others will recommend stoves that run on petrol, diesel, meths, parrafin, coal, the breath of angels, the bones of spin doctors and a combination of any or all of them, if you're going to be carrying your stove any distance then get a gas stove. Other fuels have their advantages but gas is as cheap as any of them when the 'whole price' of fuel and stove is worked out, easy to carry, doesn't make a mess of your pots, widely available and comes in a canister that's relatively light and packable. Save the other fuels for a basecamp stove.

With all that said, there's a world of choice and a 'pocket rocket' style stove isn't that expensive to get you started, and is a good backpacking choice too.

T.
 stonemaster 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil Payne: You are a very bad person. Ta. Got to have one of each now.....
cb294 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent:
The Spider kicks out a fair bit of heat (better than a pocket rocket) and can be used with an inverted cylinder if you are careful. While it isn't an MSR XGK I don't think it is under-powered.

Hi, I was comparing it to my standard trangia gas cooker, both fitted into the trangia stand.

CB
In reply to cb294:

> Don´t get the spider, not enough power and therefore wasting a lot of fuel.

Interesting. I find that, unless you have a big pan, a high power burner will generate more heat than can be transferred efficiently into the pan, thus wasting a lot of fuel.

That's the same reason why it's best to operate a gas burner at a low setting, to minimise losses up the side of the pan (and why heat exchanger pans are useful).

There comes a point where, if the power output is very low, the losses from the pan to the environment start to dominate, but that point is a very low power, provided the pan is sheltered from the environment with a windscreen.

Tom Beasley published some useful experiments on this issue on backpackinglight.com
 Bimble 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller:

My Primus Gravity EF is grand for the money, and going strong after about 6 or 7yrs (with servicing at least once a year). It's stable & boils up water quickly, but it is rather heavy & bulky.
cb294 27 Sep 2012
In reply to captain paranoia:

I was comparing the two in a trangia base, which minimizes loss and allows heating the pan also from the side. The smaller of the eta power heat exchanger pans (2.1 liters?) also fits into the trangia base, which makes the setup even more efficient (but of course also too heavy to lug around beyond basecamp).

CB
 Ross B 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Another gravity user here, does me proud, it also has a nice swivel on the gas connector, allowing easy inversion for extra power when gas heads towads empty.

Also comes with wind shield and heat reflector, only problem I have had was a melted igniter
 hokkyokusei 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Have you considered the Jetboil Helios? On the face of it heavier and more expensive but it comes with a pan and two plates and packs away neatly. Mine boils very quickly, seems efficient, and has been very reliable in all kinds of weather.
 Bimble 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Ross B:
> (In reply to Mr Fuller)
>

> Also comes with wind shield and heat reflector, only problem I have had was a melted igniter

My igniter has gone completely. A flint & steel are now in the bag with it when it goes out & about, in case I lose my fag lighter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...