UKC

Insurance for clients

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Wakeham 28 Sep 2012
I've been asked by some clients if I can arrange accident and liability insurance for them for a day's cragging they've booked me for. I obviously have my own professional liability insurance, but this own't pay out for them if they hurt themselves (well, unless it's my fault...) or drop a rock on their mate's head.

The obvious solution is to suggest they take out personal membership of the BMC, which gives them £10M liability and up to £10K personal accident. But that costs £15 each, and to be honest most of them will not become regular climbers.

Is there a company that will sell a day's personal accident and liability insurance for a reasonable price? The best I've found so far is SportsCoverDirect, which will do a group for £12 each. Most of that premium seems to be going on £10M medical cover, which is utterly unnecessary in the UK.

Cheers
Jamie
Moggsy 30 Sep 2012
In reply to Jamie Wakeham: For UK climbing? Not needed, rescue services are free and NHS will patch you up. Then they can hit your PI for damages?
In reply to Jamie Wakeham: seems a bit of a silly request.
 Neil Williams 30 Sep 2012
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Fifteen quid doesn't seem to be all that prohibitive. I'd have thought a more commercial policy would be all that expensive - I bet they're paying more than that to hire you!

Neil
 Howard J 30 Sep 2012
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

You may find you have to be registered with the Financial Services Authority to arrange insurance cover for others, or even advise them about it.
OP Jamie Wakeham 01 Oct 2012
Thanks for replies. I can see why they might want it - an accident could be found not to be *my* fault so they wouldn't have recourse to my liability insurance. Obviously medical/rescue insurance is an utter waste of money within the UK but they're looking for something that will pay out in the event of permanent disability. Surprised that such a package doesn't seem to exist, short of joining the BMC for a year - they only want a day!

Cheers
Jamie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...