/ Insurance for clients

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jamie Wakeham - on 28 Sep 2012
I've been asked by some clients if I can arrange accident and liability insurance for them for a day's cragging they've booked me for. I obviously have my own professional liability insurance, but this own't pay out for them if they hurt themselves (well, unless it's my fault...) or drop a rock on their mate's head.

The obvious solution is to suggest they take out personal membership of the BMC, which gives them £10M liability and up to £10K personal accident. But that costs £15 each, and to be honest most of them will not become regular climbers.

Is there a company that will sell a day's personal accident and liability insurance for a reasonable price? The best I've found so far is SportsCoverDirect, which will do a group for £12 each. Most of that premium seems to be going on £10M medical cover, which is utterly unnecessary in the UK.

Cheers
Jamie
Moggsy on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to Jamie Wakeham: For UK climbing? Not needed, rescue services are free and NHS will patch you up. Then they can hit your PI for damages?
highclimber - on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to Jamie Wakeham: seems a bit of a silly request.
Neil Williams - on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Fifteen quid doesn't seem to be all that prohibitive. I'd have thought a more commercial policy would be all that expensive - I bet they're paying more than that to hire you!

Neil
Howard J - on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

You may find you have to be registered with the Financial Services Authority to arrange insurance cover for others, or even advise them about it.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Jamie Wakeham - on 01 Oct 2012
Thanks for replies. I can see why they might want it - an accident could be found not to be *my* fault so they wouldn't have recourse to my liability insurance. Obviously medical/rescue insurance is an utter waste of money within the UK but they're looking for something that will pay out in the event of permanent disability. Surprised that such a package doesn't seem to exist, short of joining the BMC for a year - they only want a day!

Cheers
Jamie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.