UKC

Remy Lecluse, extreme skier and true gentleman

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
craigloon 28 Sep 2012
Remy is missing, presumed dead, after the terrible avalanche on Manaslu.

I met Remy on a guided ski tour in 2007, which was originally to have been a circuit and ascent of Gran Paradiso. Conditions were not good, so a change of plan was needed. Remy graciously put us up for a night at his home in Argentiere. The next day we drove across the border to Leukerbad, where we headed up to the Lammeren hut for a brilliant week of skiing in the Oberland.

I was just a punter, but Remy seemed to have a way of making everyone feel special. His professionalism and judgement were everything you would expect of a Chamonix guide, but beyond that there was a passion, warmth and humour that was immediately endearing. I remember how his eyes lit up when he spied an unskied line near the Loetschenpass hut -- he said he'd be back, I wonder if he ever got to do it? He talked about a crazy plan to be the first person to ski K2, and you knew he was serious.

It is just so desperately sad to think that he will never be back. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.
 IainMunro 29 Sep 2012
In reply to craigloon:

My heart sank when I read the title of this thread.

I had the pleasure of being guided by Remy up the Gran Paradiso on my first trip to the Alps in 2006. An inspiring guy. Super fit, motivated and also a brilliant tutor. I will always remember the constant struggle to keep up with him on the hut approach, despite a heavy cold he was still miles ahead of the rest of us in his flip flops. On summit day as we all puffed and panted in the cold high mountain air he would allow us an occasional break where he would have a quick cigarette and reassure us that "it was just a walk!"

Before leaving for the summit we waited in the hut for clouds to lift and there was the odd grumble of thunder. "Young man, when you climb in the Alps you should never climb into the cloud because once you are in cloud you can't see what the weather is doing and where it is moving to". A useful lesson that has saved me from trouble on a few subsequent trips to the Alps.

As we headed back to Les Houches down the switchback road a clapped out car came flying past us on a blind corner. It was Remy, waving out the window with one had and beeping the horn with the other as he sped off to spend the evening with his children before the next week guiding. A man who lived his life at 100 miles per hour.

A sad loss. My thoughts are with his family and particularly his children who he was clearly very proud of.

Iain
 Gadameer 29 Sep 2012
In reply to craigloon:

Terrible news indeed. I had the very great fortune of climbing with Remy over a long weekend last year on my first alpine climbing trip. His very obvious competence on the mountain was immensely confidence inspiring and his quick wit and humour was infectious. He didn't mind at all that a complete punter like my kept asking him daft questions and over dinner in the Cosmiques hut he showed great interest my home hills of Scotland. It was only a few days but he made a big impression. I learned a lot from him that weekend and I know the others from my group who met him will be equally saddened by this news. My thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues.

graham F 29 Sep 2012
In reply to munri: Hi Iain, I remember the walk-in, and I was the terrified passenger in the clapped out car! "Don't worry, it's just passed the MOT test " he said. Very sad news, a great guy, always smiling, always had time to say hello.
Willie Munro 30 Sep 2012
In reply to Gadameer: I also had the pleasure and honour of being on a trip with Remy as a guide in 2006. He was truly inspirational and I have felt very sad since I heard the news a few days ago.Despite the trip being pretty routine for someone like him, he got to know us all, had a great sense of humour, spent time sharing his knowledge and experience with us all, he was extremely safety conscious and seemed to know and be loved by someone in every party we passed on the mountain. He left quite a mark on me and when I am struggling up mountains, I still hear his voice ' keep the rope tight', 'it's only walking' (when making a precarious move!) and most importantly - 'stay safe'. I suspect that his guiding will have enhanced many people's lives and he will be fondly remembered. A real tragedy for someone who read mountains and snow so well and put safety first.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/sport-obituaries/9574997/Remy-Le...

Rich W Parker 01 Oct 2012
In reply to craigloon: A nice story here...

http://www.offpiste.org.uk/blog/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...