UKC

NEWS: Adder crack, 5.13 R FA by Hazel Findlay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 Sep 2012
Adder Crack, 5.13 R, Longhouse, Squamish, 2 kbHazel Findlay, currently in Squamish on her way to Yosemite, has made the first ascent of Adder Crack, 5.13 R (~8a+) at Longhouse, Squamish, Canada.
You can read all about it on her blog, but here is the short version.
The thin crack, or seam really, was cleaned by Joshua...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67473
 Puppythedog 30 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC News: I thought she was from Bristol?
 Kyuzo 30 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Great name, adder crack!
 Blue Straggler 30 Sep 2012
In reply to puppythedog:

She was mostly raised in Warrington. Bristol for university, and possibly still based there. "Lake District's finest" might mean she was born there. Not sure.
 Tom Last 30 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Great stuff, cool route name!

Your html tags have gone a little wonky.
 Chris Shorter 30 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC News:
> Lake District's finest, Hazel Findley

Are you sure that "Lake District's finest" isn't her climbing partner "Pete".

Hazel was little more than a baby when I knew the family and her mother was a Deputy Head of a school near Yarm in North Yorkshire and I think they had moved up there from Bristol. I recall that somewhere near Mold was their next location. It seems quite a few places can stake a claim!
 Blue Straggler 30 Sep 2012
In reply to Chris Shorter:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> [...]
>
> Are you sure that "Lake District's finest" isn't her climbing partner "Pete".
>

UKC seem to have taken the text string "Lake District's finest" from a caption beneath a photo on Hazel's blog. The photos are not very clear and I can't see what's going on or who it is in the photo, but I'm pretty sure it's not Hazel.
I've met her and I am pretty sure she said she was, to all intents and purposes, "from" Warrington. Or had spent at least a large chunk of her childhood/adolescence there.

Anyway this is too much of a digression!

It's a grand achievement and also an interesting back story to the route and figuring out how to protect it etc.
Oh dear, indeed... Changes are made. How hard can it be to spell a name? Too hard apparently. Sorry about that. And yes, I thought that was Hazel in the photo with the caption about "Lake District's finest".
 Puppythedog 30 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC News: Nice one Hazel, I like the wit for the name

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...