UKC

Marmot XT gloves anyone own a pair how good are they?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
As above?
 LucaC 30 Sep 2012
In reply to themountaintamer: Two pairs, great gloves. Used mine for dry tooling, ice climbing, mixed routes, and as general climbing gloves. Not super warm or waterproof, but very grippy - I've lead some VSs wearing them. The mountain equipment super alpine gloves are basically the same.
 GeoffG 30 Sep 2012
In reply to themountaintamer: They are excellent gloves. However they differ from the Mountain Equip gloves slightly in that the XT seams are on the outside of the glove and so the thread holding them together is visible.
I have used the XT extensively as belay gloves in winter for sports climbing and the thread has now worn through, due to the rope running over the first finger. As a result they are starting to fall apart.
I've bought the Mountain Equip ones and will see how they go the this season.
Otherwise they are fantastic and others have said them same.
Geoff.
 ro8x 30 Sep 2012
In reply to themountaintamer:

Had 2 pairs of them. A big fan.
In reply to themountaintamer: cheers guys this is very helpful, got a amazon voucher so have just purchased my first pair!! Thanks for the detail on the threading etc must have a look at the other pair also for future reference.
 LucaC 30 Sep 2012
In reply to themountaintamer: Having the seams on the outside is good for reducing bulk and it feels like you get increased dexterity. I wouldn't want to use them as belay gloves in cold/wet conditions are they aren't particularly warm, you're better off getting some good warm belay mitts and stuffing the xts into your the front of your jacket to warm/dry slightly between using them on routes.
In reply to LJC: cheers thanks for the tip maybe look into that.
 Tim Sparrow 30 Sep 2012
In reply to themountaintamer: On my second pair. Nice and dextrous and reasonably hard wearing.Alpine, winter climbing if its not too cold, snowballing. Use them biking too. I use Nikwax glove proof on them. No idea if it helps! Recommended.
 nniff 30 Sep 2012

Me too. Two pairs - one slightly larger which I wear with polyprop liners, and which are now reinforced a bit with seamgrip, and another that I wear on the bike
 TobyA 30 Sep 2012
In reply to themountaintamer: old UKC review here http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1470

I've got a pair and they are good all round winter gloves. I ice climb in mine a fair amount, but they are not totally waterproof. For skiing, snow shoeing, cycling in winter etc. they are good. Don't buy them too tight and they will be warm as long as they are dry.
 Alex Slipchuk 30 Sep 2012
In reply to themountaintamer: fantastic. I year them leading and swap them for warmer gloves when belaying. The pair I'm not wearing are kept under my shell, which keeps them warm. I'd tried the ME version but the're not as good a fit on me. I will be buying another pair. Ps get quite a close fit and don't worry about them getting wet, the're still warm.
In reply to themountaintamer: Gloves arrived yesterday and they are amazing looking forward to giving them a proper day out!! Cheers again for all the info gents.
 TobyA 04 Oct 2012
In reply to themountaintamer: Mine are lasting really well, but I have painted seam grip on the external seams. You might want to consider doing that as it really seems to help.
 Joss 04 Oct 2012

I got a pair of these for scrambling- the first pair started to split at the finger seams after the first use on Tryfan. I took them back and got another pair from the shop on the basis that there may have been a stitching fault. The second pair lasted 2 scambles before the same thing happened. Nice looking glove but just not tough enough. Luckily I got a full refund.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...