UKC

Simond/Quechua rock shoes any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 01 Oct 2012
Just posting to ask for some feedback on the Simond/Quechua shoes that they sell in Decathlon?

My Scarpa Vantages (my first pair of shoes) were either bought too big or they have stretched a bit over the 6 months I've had them, and I've now noticed that the 2cm of space between my big toe and the end of the shoes can get a bit sketchy in small pockets! Unfortunately money is quite tight at the moment and I can't justify £80 or so on new shoes. However, I could probably stretch to a £35 or so that the Simond/Quechuas go for if I felt that a tighter shoe could make a difference.

Just looking for any information on general quality and durability etc. I don't expect amazingly sticky rubber for the price, but at my indoor grades (6a+, 6b on a good day) I don't think it should make a huge difference.
 lithos 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Taurig:

no experience of those shoes, keep an eye out for other website and end of line deals etc

what size you after ?
michaelc 01 Oct 2012
In reply to lithos:
I have a pair of Simond shoes. Rather a beginner so the fact that I'm happy with them doesn't probably mean a whole lot.

What I would be confident in saying (based on buying not only climbing shoes) is that fitting your particular feet does not necessarily match to price, so just see how they feel on your feet. If you're lucky, your feet look a lot like the models they use for shaping the cheaper shoes. Guess it's also an opportunity to buy tight shoes for a not too bad price and see if your feet get used to them (you've still got another pair).
 Blue Straggler 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Taurig:

My mate has been climbing at your grade and just a tad higher (indoors, outdoors, trad, sport) for well over a year in the Simond £35 orange ones (£40 in some branches!) and the shoes have lasted fine.
I have been using the entry-level Climb X shoes, I forget the name but they are blue lace-ups and are £40 in Go Outdoors (I paid £25 as a loss-leader special offer ) for a few months and they are fine at those grades
OP Taurig 01 Oct 2012
Cool, that's two satisfied customers at least, I'm guessing they won't just fall apart then.

Regarding fit, if the Simonds don't then yeah, not much point in buying them just to have a tighter, badly fitting shoe. However, my Scarpas are too baggy at the heel, too narrow at the forefoot, and too long, so they'd have to go some to be substantially worse!
michaelc 01 Oct 2012
I have the orange ones too. Uppers are leather too which helps with odour.

One thought: with cheaper products especially there can be more variation between items. If one pair pinches, it can be worth trying a second pair of same shoe in same size, sometimes the assembly can be just a tiny bit different, and when shoes are so fitting that can make a difference.

Happy shopping and good hunting
 lithos 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Taurig:

put up a wanted advert on here many peeps (me included) have pairs for sale
(mainly 9/9.5) that you'd get for 20 quid in reasonable / good nick
 CharlieMack 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Taurig: I've got some 5.10 Gambits in size 8 that are pretty worn on the upper, but have plenty of rubber left on them. Yours for a fiver
In reply to Taurig:

Thanks for this thread, subconsciously you put the idea in my head to pop into my local Go Outdoors where they sold me a pair of Scarpa Vantage for £39.97
 stonemaster 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Taurig: Your feet WILL turn orange.... Good beginner shoes. Very soft and will stretch quite a lot. Good luck.
In reply to Taurig:
> However, my Scarpas are too baggy at the heel, too narrow at the forefoot, and too long, so they'd have to go some to be substantially worse!

Have you tried simply wearing socks with them? I know climbing shoes should go on over a bare foot for maximum "sensitivity" and minimal roll/slippage but if they are too big anyway, a pair of socks and lacing them nice and tight can often be helpful, certainly at your grades (and mine!).

thin bob 02 Oct 2012
In reply to michaelc:
> I have the orange ones too. Uppers are leather too which helps with odour.
>
> One thought: with cheaper products especially there can be more variation between items. If one pair pinches, it can be worth trying a second pair of same shoe in same size, sometimes the assembly can be just a tiny bit different, and when shoes are so fitting that can make a difference.
>

good advice to try several pairs on for any brand. I believe most shoes are handmade & will vary slightly.

Socks for your other pair are a good idea too

OP Taurig 02 Oct 2012
Cheers for the replies. I have tried socks with my Vantages, but found they slipped about more for some reason. A tighter fit, but the socks felt teflon coated or something. I think I might keep them for outdoors, where I'm still puntering about on VDiffs and Severes that most people could get up in big boots.

I am used to blue feet from the Vantages, orange will make a nice change.

Thanks for the offer of second hand pairs, but with the stank coming off of mine, I'm not sure I could face someone elses brand of odour.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...