UKC

Gloves for Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 01 Oct 2012
Hello,
I also opened this in gear, but then thought the winter would prob get the attention of "people who know".
I want a second pair of gloves for the up coming winter fun, 1 pair and some mitts just wasn't enough once they had soaked through they were only just dry come the next day.
I currently have a smallpair of Mountain Equipment gloves, the Lowe Alpine Freeride Gloves on Joe Brown's website have caught my eye but can't find many reviews.
I did look at the Mammut Alpine 2010 gloves but they didn't get great reviews.
£50 quid is really my max spend I think.
 iksander 01 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki: Darn this should have been on the winter sweepstake thread!

You'll need about 6 pairs per season. Mountain Equipment Randonee or Mountain Stretch get my vote, or Outdoor Research Extravert.
In reply to fire_munki:
Investing in a pair of overmitts - I have a Gore-Tex pair which cost £30- is worth thinking about. I Have winter climbed in Scotland for 30+ years and combined with my old Dachsteins they are the perfect combination- unfortunately took me 29+ years to discover this
 stuart58 01 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki: I have a pair of randonee me gloves they are great. However a guy suggested on here a few weeks ago Dickies work gloves they are leather with fleece lining and elasticated cuffs, he nicwaxed them and uses a bout 3 pairs they arte only about £12 per pair. I also carry a pair of dasteins and thinnies
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

I use Gore-tex shell mitts for everything in winter (they are just like a gore-tex bag for your hands). I just put an appropriate glove/liner underneath.

They don't absorb water and you don't have the same struggle of trying to put damp gloves onto damp/cold hands.

Only a hill 01 Oct 2012
In reply to professionalwreckhead:
I used to have a pair of these but eventually grew to hate them, as it felt like wearing a pair of crisp packets.

I eventually settled on a system which combined Dachstein mitts for hillwalking and bad weather, and some Windstopper gloves which actually worked really well for more technical climbing.
 Bradders 01 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki:

I have to recommend the Chamonix Bin Men Gloves. Bought a pair this summer and used them on routes in the Alps and new routing in the Tien Shan.
I waxed them to stop the leather soaking much water up, and carry other pairs of gloves and mits as well, however for someone who struggles with cold hands they worked very well in the cold conditions.

The only place ive found them in the UK is Ebay
In reply to Only a hill:
> (In reply to professionalwreckhead)
> I used to have a pair of these but eventually grew to hate them, as it felt like wearing a pair of crisp packets.
>
> I eventually settled on a system which combined Dachstein mitts for hillwalking and bad weather, and some Windstopper gloves which actually worked really well for more technical climbing.

It's all a matter of taste - I have a penchant for cheese and onion
 thomm 02 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki:
In recent years I've used ninja ice work gloves after seeing them recommended on here. Cheap and light so you can pack a few pairs. Sizing is small. http://www.ninjagloves.com/
 CurlyStevo 02 Oct 2012
In reply to thomm:
I've got 3 pairs of these to trial this winter. Bought them last year but alas never got out ice climbing Bought a pair for a mate and he said they can run a bit cold, but yeah most would want to pair them up with some mits for belays.

I'm coming around to this being the best system - cheap thinner dextrous gloves for climbing, mits for belays. (similar to the belay jacket principle)
 galpinos 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Bradders:
> (In reply to fire_munki)
>
> I have to recommend the Chamonix Bin Men Gloves.

> The only place ive found them in the UK is Ebay

I'm not sure if these are the ones you mean but the ubiquitous "Guide Gloves" are available in the UK from Snow Shepherd:

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Venitex-Leather-Gloves-size-8
 CurlyStevo 02 Oct 2012
In reply to professionalwreckhead:
I don't think mits are they way forward for the climbing - too clumsy and slow for most people, they are fine to chuck on at belays once you've set it up though.
 alasdair19 02 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki: dachsteins. Warm when wet. Reinforce thumb with duck tape. V light soft shell ones for the big lead. Neoprene works for easy climbing when its a bit warmer than ideal. Embrace some level of discomfort.!
 CurlyStevo 02 Oct 2012
In reply to alasdair19:
Hve you tried the ninjas? I think they are about 6 quid a pair
 CurlyStevo 02 Oct 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:
SKYTEC-Argon-HPT-Foam-Coated-Cold-Grip-Glove (on ebay)

recommended by guides in the alps and scotland!
 D.Andrew 02 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki: I have a few pairs of the dickies for sale - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=521037&v=1#x7027095 PM me if anyone is interested.
 Ron Walker 02 Oct 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:

The Ninja Black ice are the same as the Skytec Argon, just with a different branding or colour.
They are a stretchy tight fit for dexterity but it's still difficult to get smaller sizes for short fingers. Ideally you need to try them on.
I bought six pairs for about £30 three years ago expecting them to be almost disposable at only £5.00 a pair.
Since then I've been using two of the pairs most of the time in Scotland for winter courses and climbing and they're still going strong!
They've been the only gloves I've used in the Alps during the past few summers on mixed ice routes.
I've also used them leading for two seasons ice climbing in La Grave.
Designed with great grip and dexterity for engineers and mechanics they are ideal for climbers placing and removing gear. A bit too grippy for coiling the rope easily though.
The only drawbacks I've found is when your hands get really wet, it's difficult to put them on or to take them off. However as the dexterity is so good you often don't need to take them off to faff with gear and the rubber grip makes them ideal for icy rock climbing.
They can take ages to dry unless you reverse the inner linings out and afterwards putting the fingers back in, is a test of patience!
Not the warmest of gloves for hanging around in, but great for leading or moving quickly.
I suffer from poor circulation and have always had big problems with my hands going numb and getting the hot aches. Yet despite this I been pleasantly surprised at how rarely I've needed to use my back up Extremities wind pro berber fleece gloves or Buffalo mits.
BTW great for placing ice screws when leashless ice climbing

Cheers Ron
 CurlyStevo 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:
Do you have the ones that just cover up to your knucles with the rubber leaving the backs with fabric? Do you think the version that covers the whole hand with rubber would be better?
 Ron Walker 02 Oct 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I have Argon's size medium with rubber on knuckles and backs in stretchy fabric...
Not sure what the difference would be apart from maybe stiffer to fit but then more windproof on the back of the hand!
 mattc 02 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki: What about mountian equipment assault?? Would they b to much??
 CurlyStevo 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:
well I guess they would get wetter slower (but dry slower) too. Also a bit less flexible.

I may trial run some
OP fire_munki 02 Oct 2012
In reply to mattc:
Some some advertised at 60ish quid which I could just stretch to, but they aren't in stock anywhere.
 Fly Fifer 02 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki:

http://mammothworkwear.com/helly-hansen-workwear/helly-hansen-gloves/helly-...

Two or three pairs of these will keep you right...i run v cold and have found these to be great. Apply a bit of nikwax as they soak through quickly.

Back them up with the montane extreme glove for belay and the Outdoor designs summit inferno mitt for when yer bollock cold.

Hot aches will still be a feature but put yer belay gloves under yer pits and that should help.

FF

Woodman 02 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki: During the last three winter trips to Scotland I used Seal Skin gloves and, if necessary, a pair of Buffalo mitts over the top. To date, this combination has worked fine for me - gloves for when dexterity is required, mitts pulled over the top when it gets really cold. Also, I've found Buffalo mitts will keep your hands warm even when they're wet.
 Taurig 03 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki:

I was having a quick look on the MachineMart website today and found they are selling the Argon Skytec gloves under the Dickies brand. They only seem to have them in L and XL, but maybe worth a look if anyone has a local shop and wants to check sizing?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/dickies-argon-skytec-them...

AS for the OP's question, I bought the Mountain Equipment Guide gloves last year. They're £45 now, and whilst I don't do any mental winter climbing (yet), I've found them warm, robust with a full leather grip, and have handy features like the built in retaining cords. I don't know how they'd fair for hard mixed climbing, but they feel quite dextrous to me for a fairly thick glove, just another pair to check out as most shops have them?
 Ron Walker 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Taurig:

I bought my size medium Argon gloves from

http://www.moandco.com/worwear-ppe-items?page=shop.product_details&flyp...

They are currently selling for £5.40 plus Vat
 Cornish boy 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Taurig: I bought a pair of those ME Guide gloves last year, wore them for a day ice climbing in Wales, they got soaked and my hands got really cold. I didn't think that they were very dextrous either. They might be ok for winter walking but i found them shite for climbing in. I then got a pair of ME Super Alpine gloves which I would fully recommend. They are dextrous and surprisingly warm. I wore them for a week whilst ice climbing in Rjukan in Feb and they were great. They're still in pretty good nick too.

In my opinion, pay the extra tenner!

Hope that helps.
 Wee Davie 03 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki:

I've used a variety of work gloves over the years for leading. Lately I've found Timberland Dry Extreme to be fairly good, apart from an annoying downside- the velcro wrist closure leaves a bit of skin exposed, even when fastened.

Think I'll have a look at the Ninja gloves mentioned above. I'm allergic to spending 50 bar on a pair of branded 'climbing' gloves!

My belay solution is a pair of Dachsteins inside Goretex mitt shells. If I dropped a glove I could use a Dachstein and continue the day happily.
 Wee Davie 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:

I just tried to buy 3 pairs of those gloves- they wanted £8 delivery!!!
In reply to Wee Davie:
CurlyStevo mentioned eBay as a source (assuming they are same glove ?) and these seem to be £6.48 all in.
 Wee Davie 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Cheers to yourself and Curly Stevo.

Ron Walker 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Wee Davie:
That's why I bought six pairs to avoid the delivery charges as it used to be free over £30. Looks like the delivery is now free over a £100, so you'll have to buy about £20 pairs to save on delivery
 dek 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:
Too tight for a thin wool liner underneath Ron?
 ColdWill 04 Oct 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: I have the full knuckle coverage ones and find they seat up too quick, also the material on the back isn't even slightly water proof so they are pretty absorbent as well. Only good for nice days imo.
 jonnie3430 04 Oct 2012
In reply to ColdWill:
> (In reply to CurlyStevo) the material on the back isn't even slightly water proof so they are pretty absorbent as well.

I havn't tried the Ninja's but would like too, though lack of waterproofing worries me. I'd recommend the Dickies insulated (thinsulate lining on them,) work gloves for a few years now and love them. In Scotland in winter my bugbear is that the cuffs are a little short (I will bodge this year by using a cuff off another glove,) but I use them instead of a pair of BD Punishers which I found wear out quickly. For Alpine use the dickies gloves are superb. I nikwax them regularly to keep waterproof.
 Euge 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:
> (In reply to CurlyStevo)
>
> The Ninja Black ice are the same as the Skytec Argon, just with a different branding or colour.

Cheers Ron... just ordered a pair from Ebay for £6.49...

Euge
 Ron Walker 04 Oct 2012
In reply to dek:
> (In reply to Ron Walker)
> Too tight for a thin wool liner underneath Ron?

They're a tight fit for dexterity so liners would't work that well...
 JohnnyW 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Climbing Pieman:
> (In reply to Wee Davie)
> CurlyStevo mentioned eBay as a source (assuming they are same glove ?) and these seem to be £6.48 all in.

Yup, just ordered some too, as they had S, for us blokes with ridiculously small hands
 dek 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:
> (In reply to dek)
> They're a tight fit for dexterity so liners would't work that well...

Ta Ron, just thought I'd ask before ordering a couple of pairs!
 ColdWill 05 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnie3430: I concure about the Punishers. I use a similar glove in summer to the Dickies without a liner. I might get a pair and geek out and put some sore of rubber on the palm, like that 5 10 stuff.
 D.Andrew 05 Oct 2012
I still have a few pairs of the dickies for sale - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=521037&v=1#x7027095 PM me if anyone is interested - going quick!
 NathanP 05 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki:

+1 for the ME Super Alpine gloves. I've found them a good balance between warmth and dexterity but I don't think they'd be enough in very cold conditions or if you run cold.

I'd suggest a pair of liner gloves to walk in, Super Alpines or similar to climb in with a spare pair in case they get wet and a pair of pile mits in case you get cold and as a warm-up option for belays.
 CurlyStevo 05 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki: there seems to be an interesting correlation between amount of experience and money spent on gloves for scottish winter on this thread. Especially on gloves for climbing rather than (mitts!) for belaying.....
Simon Wells 05 Oct 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Funny you should say that....I was showing a bunch of FE students what kit to get for a Winter Skills trip in Decathlon today and made a similar comment on the the inverse relationship between cost of glove to time. Mind you I have two pairs of each glove, walk in gloves, tech climbing gloves, belay mitts, super cold gloves, summer glacier gloves etc and none cost more than £20'ish and very few are 'climbing gloves'.

I have even ordered a pair of Ron Walkers recomended gloves to add to the box, well they only cost £6 inc P & P.
 Northern Man 10 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki: Here we go again and this is the solution thin liner glove with SKYTECH ARGON THERMAL GLOVE approx £7.00 a pair lined freezer glove. Used last year on the Ben excellent, and I am prone to cold hands. Can be bought from Arco LTD Waverley St Hull HU1 2SJ.
A;so very good for cold meat and freezer section in Asda. Do take big mitts for belays but I never used mine, as I was warm enough. Happy climbing.
 BillyB 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Northern Man:

Just bought a couple of pairs of the Dickies leather gloves....they seem sturdy and warm. Time will tell.
 scottie390 12 Oct 2012
In reply to BillyB: aye let me know how you get on with them, seem to be the new Scottish version of the old Chamonix bin man gloves.
 JohnnyW 12 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki:

I got a pair of Dickies ones off Cragmonkey, (thanks), and they seem OK. Have daubed 'em with wax, so we'll see.
I also bought a really nice pair off the 'net, as I have small fingers, but at S, they were too tight. Better insulated than the Dickies, and fabulous nubuck-type material.
'leather work thermal safety Sperian Deer Fit Thinsulate Glove'
 James Edwards 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Northern Man:
SKYTECH ARGON THERMAL GLOVE approx £7.00 a pair lined freezer glove.

I have to agree; these are by far the best gloves i have ever used. I don't understand why people use anything else? I waterproofed the back of a pair with nikwax and made them completely water proof but this was maybe not that necessary. They are also surprisingly hard wearing; i hammered them with ropework last season and didn't wear a pair out.
Oh and they are extremely grippy for leashless monkies.
Enough said? Now, where can i buy shares in SKYTECH...
James e
 Reach>Talent 12 Oct 2012
In reply to James Edwards:
SKYTECH ARGON THERMAL GLOVE approx £7.00 a pair lined freezer glove.

Just ordered a pair from Amazon (Arco and all the usual lab suppliers wanted more for shipping than the cost of the gloves). Be interesting to see how they perform.
 Jerry67 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent: Try dortechdirect.co.uk £5.16 and free postage.
 Reach>Talent 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Jerry67:
£6.95 from Amazon but I already had the account and all my details saved so it was quick and easy
 droites 12 Oct 2012
In reply to James Edwards: what is the sizing like in these? I'm between med and large in most gloves.
 James Edwards 12 Oct 2012
In reply to droites:
Sounds like your hands are bigger than mine; i wear a size 8 and they fit me like a glove.... (i'll get my coat)

I bought a pair for my nephew in the forces, he thought they were excellent too.

James
 Ron Walker 12 Oct 2012
In reply to droites:
> (In reply to James Edwards) what is the sizing like in these? I'm between med and large in most gloves.

You really need to try them on as the are a nice neat fit and offer great dexterity. The bigger sizes will easily fit you, but you could end up with the tips of the finger catching on crabs. This was why I down sized from my large sized gloves to a medium size.
Not easy to get the smaller sizes in the UK unless someone knows better..!
 Merlin 15 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki: BD Punishers are the only gloves IMHO.
 thedatastream 16 Oct 2012
Ordered some Skytec Argons in XL on the strength of this thread and the price.

First impressions: thin pile liner is warm and they feel fairly robust. The wrists covers are long which will be good for blood flow to the hands warm. Making a clenched fist is a bit hard due to the way the gloves pull on the backs of the hands - maybe this will soften up with time?

Looking forward to trying them out in anger.
 CurlyStevo 16 Oct 2012
In reply to thedatastream:
If you look on some of the ice climbing vids on the other thread you'll notice people using the ninjas (same as the argons) in anger.
 loz01 16 Oct 2012
> Ordered some Skytec Argons in XL on the strength of this thread and the price.
>
The wrists covers are long which will be good for blood flow to the hands warm.

Interesting, I was just about to post a question about the wrists length. They look very short in this pic
http://www.arco.co.uk/products/14G4800
Are they the same gloves?

Thanks, Loz
 BruceM 16 Oct 2012
In reply to loz01:
Just bought some of these at lunchtime from Machine Mart.

The wrists are longer than that pic. At least 1.5 inches beyond bony protuberance of medial wrist (pinky side lump on back of wirst at base of hand).

About as long as you'd expect for gloves like this. Not short like that pic. So length isn't a problem. Waterproofness of the wrist bit would be only concern. As discussed above.

Fit great so if no good for climbing will find plenty of uses for me
 loz01 17 Oct 2012
In reply to BruceM:

Thanks Bruce.
 abcdef 18 Oct 2012
In reply to BruceM: what size did you get that fit? by way of comparison, what size marigolds/latex surgical gloves do you wear (if at all!)
 BruceM 18 Oct 2012
In reply to abcdef:
I found the fingers relatively long. Was sure I'd be XL, but ended up with L as the XLs weren't snug across the end of fingertips. (Since these are for precision work.)

So it is a tough one. The L are good fit, with perhaps just a tiny bit of pulling across back of fingers on flex. So I'd be right at the top of their range.

It'd be tough to order without testing. I don't really wear too many standard gloves but usually take XL in most. My longest finger (middle) is 88mm long (tip to web) if that helps. But I have very skinny fingers and hand
 thedatastream 18 Oct 2012
I'm finding the XLs too large. My hand, measured in mm from web of skin between fingers to tip:

Index finger = 79
Middle finger = 90 (avg both sides)
Ring finger = 86
Little finger = 61

And I estimate I've got nearly 8-10mm left at the end of each finger. Going to order a Large pair and see what happens. At least I can use the too big ones for gardening
 Ron Walker 18 Oct 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to thedatastream)
> If you look on some of the ice climbing vids on the other thread you'll notice people using the ninjas (same as the argons) in anger.

God, this has moved on since I last looked! Glad to see folk are thinking outside the flashy marketing box and looking at performance and function rather than fashion!
Maybe worth looking at Helly Lifa work-wear thermals and other pile garments such as Buffalo. You'll save loads of money on durable winter kit that'll last you a lifetime
What's this other ice climbing video thread showing the Ninjas?

Cheers Ron (Sponsored by your local charity shop and Duct Tape!)
 s.scott 18 Oct 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:
Bought a pair of these argon gloves. They seem really good.
 jonnie3430 19 Oct 2012
In reply to James Edwards:
> (In reply to Northern Man)
> I waterproofed the back of a pair with nikwax and made them completely water proof but this was maybe not that necessary.

I just bought a pair of the Skytech's off ebay after being a dickies user for a few years. (I offered to review them for UKC once but was told that they weren't "recognised outdoor gear,") They have greater cuff length, which was my big bugbear with the dickies and the back, which I thought may get damp has a hydrorepellent treatment that seems to work well. The Skytech Mediums are similar in size to the large Dickies gloves. As to which is better, I'll know in a month or two, but the Skytech will have to do well to be as good as the dickies on alpine rock!

Anyone found a source of small or xs that you don't have to buy in bulk as the other half is keen...
 CurlyStevo 19 Oct 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:
Hi Ron,

I'm willing to take your word on the gloves, I also buy cheap thermals (and fleeces) seem to work fine to me! But I can't stand pile and pertex

The ice climbing vids are here but you've prolly seen a lot of them.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=523320

Bye for now.....
 dek 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Jerry67:
> (In reply to mkean) Try dortechdirect.co.uk £5.16 and free postage.

Good shout!
2 pairs for a tenner, free post (FedEx) very grippy, long enough wrist cuffs, tough material, warm and fleecy, dexterous feel for fiddling with gear. A real bargain for a mid weight glove. Also Perfect for pushing the car out of snowdrifts! Now for some ' Alpine Binmans gloves'.
 droites 22 Oct 2012
In reply to dek: me to. Not sure on the size-so ordered med and large. Where can you get the alpine bin men's gloves?
 dek 22 Oct 2012
In reply to droites:

Snow Shepherd website...you can text to ask if they have your size in stock. Venitex and Kinco leather 'ski gloves'
 TobyA 23 Oct 2012
In reply to dek: Is that what the bin men gloves are? Just lined leather work gloves?

If so then people should check the Marmot Basic Work gloves, as they look very similar and are excellent. I've only €20 euro for my ones. http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2012/10/marmot-basic-work-glove-review...
 jonnie3430 23 Oct 2012
In reply to dek:

I bought a couple of pairs of these last winter. They are quite thick, so good for belaying and easy routes, but I wouldn't lead anything interesting in them.

I used the Skytech Argons in the wet on the great ridge of Garbh Beinn this weekend and they were very good.
 Reach>Talent 23 Oct 2012
Ok the Argons in XL are pretty much a perfect fit on me although there is a tiny bit of tightening across the back of my hand when I make a fist. They seem pretty robust and warm but I'll wait for some axe based silliness to confirm that!

I'm a spot on fit for the XL, sizing is:

10cm across the palm, 9.5cm middle finger, 22.5cm tip of middle finger to wrist
DortechDirect 23 Oct 2012
In reply to dek:
> (In reply to Jerry67)
> [...]
>
>
> Good shout!
> 2 pairs for a tenner, free post (FedEx) very grippy, long enough wrist cuffs, tough material, warm and fleecy, dexterous feel for fiddling with gear. A real bargain for a mid weight glove. Also Perfect for pushing the car out of snowdrifts! Now for some ' Alpine Binmans gloves'.

Thanks very much for mentioning us! If there is any other products you require that we do not currently supply on our website please let us know and we will try to find them for you.

Regards,
Adam - www.Dortechdirect.co.uk

jonnie3430 23 Oct 2012
In reply to DortechDirect:

Ha ha!! re you a climber, or did someone direct you here? In any case, my girlfriend would like some of the Skytech Argon in Small or XS if you would consider getting them in stock?
DortechDirect 23 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

Hi Jonnie!
I'm not sure why we only stock 3 sizes. I'll get on to Argon tomorrow and see if I can help you.
Regards,
Adam
 s.scott 23 Oct 2012
In reply to DortechDirect:

I'd buy another pair of size small argon gloves if you stocked them.

tonyaitch 25 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki:
My votes are for the Simond Bionnassay leather gloves from Decathlon - as warm as bin mens but more dextrous. They're £20 from Decathlon, but I bought 4 pairs when they were on special offer for a tenner. ME Guides are good value but lack a little on dexterity; tend to use them on lower grade routes where it's easier to stand around placing gear and with less frequency. When it gets cold and technical, another vote for Punishers.
 JRae 29 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki: If fitted tight, would the skytech aragon gloves do for a liner under BD punishers?
skarabrae 29 Oct 2012
In reply to JRae: not a chance! The argons are very thick gloves (if its the ones im thinking of)
 Emily_pipes 05 Nov 2012
In reply to fire_munki:

It seems as if many of the bank account-friendly work gloves recommended here are not commonly sold in sizes wee enough to fit women with small hands. :/ I couldn't find the Dickies or Argons in small when searching on Google.

Any recommendations if you're a woman with small hands?
 jonnie3430 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Emily_pipes:

I'm waiting for a reply from Dortech direct about smalls, will post when I hear.
 jonnie3430 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Emily_pipes:

And I think I've figured out who you are, so I'll put in an order for you if I get some for Carol...
 dek 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Emily_pipes:
Just call Adam at Dortech, very helpfully.
Also I found an email to Skytech Argon re nearest supplier was answered very quickly.
A text to Snow Shepherd will tell you if they have the Alpine binmans glove in your size in stock.
My local TKmaxx have loads of quality ladies Ski/outdoors gloves in stock too....in wee toattie sizes! Also have good number of 'brands' in shells, mid layers, thermals etc. worth a look if your near one.
 jonnie3430 05 Nov 2012
In reply to dek:
> (In reply to Emily_pipes)
> Just call Adam at Dortech, very helpfully.

What did he say? Does he have smalls? (Save me asking the same question twice...)
 dek 05 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:
Sorry I didn't ask about size smalls, but I found the XL pretty spot on.
As I mentioned, try emailing the importer direct for a supplier near you?!
 JohnnyW 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Emily_pipes:
Those Sperian ones I mentioned above seem very good, and are in small. Google them (or look on E Bay)
 cliff shasby 05 Nov 2012
In reply to fire_munki: hi,sports direct are doing the outdoor research alpine alibi glove (the rirst one,theres now a 2) for £60 quid,these gloves retailed for £150 and they are superb,very well made,ive done 3 seasons of ice in them with loads of abseils and they are still in great nick,ive even thought of buying a second pair for the future.

they are gore tex extrafit(no slippy liner) and primaloft on the back of the hand so you can still feel what your doing,cant reccomend them enough.
cheers cliff...
 Jonay 05 Nov 2012
 Emily_pipes 06 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:
> (In reply to Emily_pipes)
>
> And I think I've figured out who you are, so I'll put in an order for you if I get some for Carol...

Yes, you probably have. If gloves fit Carol, they'll fit me. We're probably about the same size.
DortechDirect 06 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

Jonnie, Sorry for just getting back to you;
Unfortunately I can't get hold of anything smaller than 8,
I'll let you know if we do manage to stock these in the neer distant future.
Regards, Adam - Dortech Direct
 s.scott 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Emily_pipes:

You could try the marmot basic work gloves. They come in women and girly mens sizes. And are£17 but I've never used them so don't know how good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...