UKC

Very Cheap car hire! anyone used these guys

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Mayfield 04 Oct 2012
I was checking car hire for a guest for end of this month and cant believe £53 only!

Anyone used this site, is it for real?

Thanks Sam Orange
 Simon Caldwell 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Sam Mayfield:
Yes, I've used them many times. They're rarely cheapest, but you get an extra driver included, and there's no excess on the insurance (though as normal, windscreen, underside, etc are excluded)
OP Sam Mayfield 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Toreador:

I think £53 is a bargain! but its a long time since I hired a car from Alicante..

Sam
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 04 Oct 2012

I don't know who we used in Feb (Alicante) but the full tank of gas cost more than the 10 day car hire! Cheapest spot in Spain by a mile I think.

Chris
OP Sam Mayfield 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:

cheapest I can find for Manchester in November is £75 for 4 days, is that normal?

Sam
 Simon Caldwell 04 Oct 2012
We paid less than £40 in Alicante last March!
They bump the price up a bit by insisting you pay for a full tank of fuel at an inflated price, but even so, it seems to be a lot cheaper than normal this year.
 goatee 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Sam Mayfield: Yes this spring for Scotland. No Problems
 efrance24234 05 Oct 2012
In reply to Sam Mayfield: i paied nearly £200 last month . that was in altea. should have booked in advance.
 efrance24234 05 Oct 2012
In reply to Sam Mayfield: paid*
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 Oct 2012
>
>
> cheapest I can find for Manchester in November is £75 for 4 days, is that normal?
>
> Sam

Don't know. I never hire in the UK!

Chris

Foolow Mike 05 Oct 2012
We have used these people for 10 years. Have occasionally been tempted away by slightly cheaper companies (Carhire3000.com) but always go back to Economy as they provide a good service.

Have only used them for car hire at Malaga though, so don't know who they deal with up your way.

mike
 Andyh83 06 Oct 2012
In reply to Sam Mayfield: I suspect that there will be a full tank of fuel "to be paid locally" which in the end bumps the price up to around that of the normal big companies.

However if you're there for a week and can use that full tank and return it on fumes, then i suppose technically you're quids in.

They never have quite as good insurance as the bigger companies though. lots of exclusions.
Kevin Rutherford 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Andyh83: Agree with fuel rip off.Picking up a car tomorrow at Alicante for 8 days. After many searches the cheapest i found was through Holiday Autos £60 (coupon discounts available) but surprise surprise paying min 60 euros up front for fuel, local hire co is "Record"?. Cheapest big company with no fuel payment upfront was around £120 but they were charging about £75 for a kids seat? Catch 22 but i suppose not bad value ( will confirm when home), looks like there will be dry rock though
OP Sam Mayfield 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Ecosse Mountains:

we have cloud at the moment and storms forcast! We will be glad though as it has been way too hot all month!

Sam Orange

ps 60 euros up front for fuel is not that bad a few this week have paid on average 80. Our fuel costs at the pump are close to UK prices so not that bad really unless they give you a tiny little car!

Sam
Kevin Rutherford 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Sam Mayfield: Cheers Sam, need to make sure i use it all, said the tight East coaster!
 nniff 11 Oct 2012

WE tedn to use http://all-inclusive-car-hire.com/search/ in spain and portugal. THey've always been very good and cheap too. The all-inclusive thing has always been just that - all-inclusive.

I should offer to syphon and left fuel out for my generators and pay at least something, stops the hire company getting any of it back!

Says a tight yorkshire bird!

Sam ;0)
 Andy Say 11 Oct 2012
The other thing to watch out for is the requirement that if you do not take out extra insurance at a daily rate then they take a deposit from you. You have to actually pay that deposit (can be by card). They bank it and you then get it refunded at the end of the hire. At moment that seems to be a Spanish thing; in France even at the bottom end of car hire they don't actually take the money!

Currency and transaction charges on that can add about £20 to the overall cost - as well as the cost of the fuel they provide you with. Take away full and return full is my preferable option every time
 auld al 11 Oct 2012
about £75 for a kids seat? Catch 22 but i suppose not bad value

after hiring one last year i discovered you are entitled to carry a child seat free of charge in addition to your luggage (double check this though!)

In reply to auld al:

We have a car seat that we lend to our guests its just a pain in the arse getting it to the airport for them!

Andy we take out annual excess insurance which is surprisingly cheap, I know they sting you for the excess first if you have an accident but you can then claim back.

Sam

OP Sam Mayfield 20 Oct 2012

Warning again re the paying for fuel.

today at Alicante a guy was charged 120€ for an astra for fuel, they wouldnt let anyone else pay with a different credit card and they also wanted to take the 300€ deposit!

getting a bit like Ryanair with added extras.

Also I need a car at Bournemouth airport next weekend anyone any ideas as the cheap places dont do either the place of the fact its Sunday night?

ta Sam Orange
Kevin Rutherford 09 Nov 2012
In reply to Ecosse Mountains: Just an update on the car hire with "Record" from Alicante airport. I ended up paying 80 euros for a tank of fuel for a Opel Corsa 1.2.... rip off.
At the pickup desk the chap who served me confirmed the excess was 400-600 euros and recommended that i take out further full waiver insurance at 40 euros to give me nil excess and i had to pay for child seat as well 27 euros?? After seeing the car and the mess the body was in (scratches/dents and the messy inside)im glad i took it out. So..... thinking i was getting a bit of a good deal, ended up paying about £180 for 8 days hire which included all our fuel. Next time, i;ll maybe book with one of the biggar companies and take our own car seat or the other way to look at it, a brand new shiny hired car sticks out a bit like a sore thumb in Spain....
In reply to Sam Mayfield: Hi Sam, just read your post after posting my update. Looks like i got off lightly. There were alot of unhappy folks at the Record desk when i was there and i can only assume they were just finding out about the fuel charges....
In reply to Ecosse Mountains: I had a similar experience with "Record", paying €120 for 50 litres of fuel!!
What was interesting was listenting to the staff at the desk telling lies to the people who had already taken insurance seperately!

The lady in front of me had a copy of the policy she'd taken out when she booked the hire car, which explicitly said "don't let the hire company charge you any extra insurance" and yet the record sales rep assured the customer that the insurance wasn't valid, and would be no good, telling her that she HAD to pay another €70 to insure the car through record, or risk the €400 excess!! She also assured the customer that they'd be able to get a refund on the 'dodgy' policy they bought before getting to the airport, which was a blatant lie!! I was shocked that people buy into it all!!

I argued about the fuel, argued about the deposit, and told them where to shove their excess insurance. I think they got their own back by giving me a particularly battered and scratched, and quite crap car!! However, a posative note to having such a battered car is that they don't notice any extra scratches!!

Anyway, next time, I think I'll use a major provider (Hertz or Europcar?) - although not Sixt - Stay away from them even more than Record!! (just do a UKC search for trouble people have had with sixt!!)
 Simon Caldwell 09 Nov 2012
The "full tank of fuel" rip-off is now practised by pretty much all the budget car hire companies. A bit like the "optional extra" added on by the budget airlines, you just have to add an extra 30 or 40 quid to the quoted price.

They also mostly seem to charge the deposit (400 Euros last month) at the start of your trip and then refund it afterwards, so if possible use a credit card whose statement date doesn't fall in the middle of your holiday or you'll have to pay it.

Regarding the insurance excess scam - another advantage of Economy Car Hire is that as well as having no excess insurance, they also offer their own "top up" insurance to cover tyres, glass, and other exclusions - the charge for this is in line with what you pay by searching the internet for a good deal. Even if you don't take this out (I have annual car hire insurance), the actually car hire company (ECH are brokers) usually expects everyone to already be insured so doesn't pressure you to take out theirs.
 battledroid 09 Nov 2012

Cheap hire is a false economy for the reasons outlined above. Real shame to hear innocent punters are still getting their pants pulled down over fuel.

RE Sixt, I have had contract lease cars in the UK for two years now, having had nothing but a pleasurable experience from both Northgate and Arval. I had a brief stint with Sixt at the start of the year with a BMW 120d and they constantly took the piss with adjusting the price, insurance value, the lot.

In the end they had a policy revamp and set the 120d as "Over 25's only", at which point I switched to Arval.

Keep your car hire with the big boys, it's "more expensive" until you break a windscreen or get it er... stuck on a bollard
 Simon Caldwell 09 Nov 2012
In reply to battledroid:
> Cheap hire is a false economy for the reasons outlined above

After adding on extra for the fuel rip-off, it cost us £170 for 2 weeks hire (Barcelona) from Economy Car Hire including an extra driver and no insurance excess. From Hertz the charge would have been £390 (including €160 for a 2nd driver), with €1050 insurance excess.

You'd have to break an awful lot of windscreens to make Hertz a cheaper option (though the standard insurance excluded windscreen damage so that would have been another extra cost).
In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC): I booked through Holiday autos and the price i got was for basic cover, there were other options there for no excess and that was with the budget companies. Im usually good at not letting companies take the piss but on reflection of the trip it was still cheaper than if i had gone with one of the bigger companies. The car ran fine, i made sure we used all the fuel and the inside of the car went back mankier than i got it! The shiny Avis/Hertz cars do stand out like a sore thumb though,40 euros extra for piece of mind instead of a 400 euros excess for something minor on a shiny new one......mmnnn. I bit anal but i also always rip of their big company logo sticker off the back of the car, stops it being a sitting target.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...