UKC

The Best Camping Pillows?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JFort 08 Oct 2012
Have to get myself a camping pillow to make life a bit easier on the neck.
So, which one would you recommend? There's a lot out there, well just on Amazon there are loads! I'd like one that packs down very wee, as we wild camp with lots of gear so lightweight and small would be good. Low to mid price range. Thanks.
In reply to JFort: Have you tried the inner from a wine box? If it's still got some wine in, so much the better.
 alooker 08 Oct 2012
In reply to JFort: stick your clothes in the sleeping back stuff sack
OP JFort 08 Oct 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Too crinkly, I'm a very light sleeper, have heard it's good but don't think it's for me unless it full of wine!
 philpdr 08 Oct 2012
In reply to JFort:Exped ones are pretty good and pack really small.
OP JFort 08 Oct 2012
In reply to alooker:

That's what I've been doing but it still kills my neck even after one night. I cannae even sleep in a bed with feather pillows, yes fussy lady!
OP JFort 08 Oct 2012
In reply to philpdr:

Cheers Phildr!
 More-On 08 Oct 2012
In reply to philpdr: Having tried a few makes I'd second Exped. If you like paying over the odds try an AntiGravityGear Flex Air Ultralight Pillow...

OP JFort 08 Oct 2012
In reply to philpdr:

Actually not sure I camp enough to justify £25 on a pillow, hmm Christmas list?
M0nkey 08 Oct 2012
In reply to JFort: I stuff all my spare clothes in a fleece which makes a very comfy pillow. I don't like the stowaway ones because they are by necessity (they have to stuff into a wee bag) too soft to provide any support for your head.
 More-On 08 Oct 2012
In reply to M0nkey: I'd agree on the stuff away ones, but the air pillows like the Exped and Mammut can be blown up really firm if you like. They are also very good if you use your clothes as part of your sleeping 'system'.
 lost1977 08 Oct 2012
In reply to JFort:

down jacket stuffed in a fleece
 dingbat46 08 Oct 2012
In reply to More-On:

I have the mammut one, great bit of kit, even better when wrapped in a fleece.
 peas65 08 Oct 2012
In reply to JFort:

I am also someone who needs a pillow for a good nights sleep and find the clothes approach too firm and the wine box method and anything else is too heavy.

so i started piling my clothes under my thermarest so that the soft thermarest is in contact with my head. Best nights sleep apart from when i carry a down jacket but thats very rare.
 bouldery bits 08 Oct 2012
In reply to JFort:

If you've got a Camelback wrap it in a fleece.

Welsh Kate 08 Oct 2012
In reply to dingbat46:
The Mammut one's great, lovely warm fleecy cover. And the Montbell UL Comfort System pillow is excellent if you want something *really* small and really comfortable.
In reply to JFort: there are some drybag or stuffbags that have a fleece lined inner for the purpose of turning it inside out and stuffing with clothes when camping for use as a pillow
 Skip 08 Oct 2012
In reply to alooker:
> (In reply to JFort) stick your clothes in the sleeping back stuff sack

agreed
 bluebealach 08 Oct 2012
In reply to IPPurewater:

> I have one of these.

Its good.I agree, the Ajungilar AP is very comfortable, light to carry and packs down really small.

ripper 09 Oct 2012
In reply to JFort: loosely coiled climbing rope with a fleece on top
 AlasdairM 09 Oct 2012
In reply to JFort: Poundland do a good one. It's just a flattish air pillow, which means it takes up next to no space. It's my one luxury item when I'm bike touring as light as possible - highly recommended.
 Peakpdr 09 Oct 2012
In reply to JFort:

I just use my sleeping bag stuff sack and spare clothes
In reply to JFort:

If I'm wildcamping then it's clothes in the sleeping bag stuff sack.

The Alpkit Airloks are quite good because you can seal the top with a bit of air in the sack, which adds more comfort (it does deflate over the course of the night though).

That said, if there is ANY way I can get a normal pillow into the tent, I'll do it! A decent pillow makes quite a big difference to how I sleep.
rabarton 09 Oct 2012
In reply to JFort: I'm fussy about my pillow and have tried loads. I used this Gelert self-inflating one (with a buff as a pillow case) for a few years now http://www.gelert.com/products/trek_pillow ...upside, it's supportive, not too bouncy & cheap ...downside, it's not the most compact
 SFM 09 Oct 2012
In reply to JFort:

Does anyone else find the Ajungilak/Mammut ones squeak/creak when you move?

I have a Decathlon one too which folds flat and is about the same weight as the one above but only cost a fiver. Think I prefer it.
 thedatastream 09 Oct 2012
+1 for Decathlon air pillows
 SFM 09 Oct 2012
In reply to SFM:

ps I mean the same weight at the Mammut one. Wasn't clear.
OP JFort 09 Oct 2012
Thanks all, for the suggestions of pillows! Added them to my amazon wish list for possible Christmas present, just which one!?

I'll definitely check out the Decathlon one, planning a wee trip to the new Edinburgh store soon anyway, so if it's nice and it's cheap may just go for that, no mad rush as it's a bit cold for me to camp now!
 andyd1970 09 Oct 2012
In reply to JFort: I remember reading somewhere that Kenton Cool said he just took a pillow case and put his fleece etc in that!
 Totally-Normal 09 Oct 2012
In reply to JFort: half inflated Travel pillow from 99p store works well for me, very light and very cheap.
 ryan_d 09 Oct 2012
In reply to JFort: The nemo fillo is amazing. more comfortable than the one on my bed. They are expensive but I can't cope if i have a crap nights sleep.

Ryan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...