UKC

Has anybody used the Blue Ice 30 or 45?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 droites 08 Oct 2012
Just wondering if anybody has used either of these bags for scottish winter? or anywhere. Especially the 30L. Is it a generous 30.

Thanks
 HeMa 09 Oct 2012
In reply to droites:

I have the 30 l one, and it's stellar for climbing. Big enough to lug what I need at the crags, yet small enough to climb with.

Only problem is that it's a tad too big non technical day skitours. And not big enough for one nighter trips.
 PaulW 09 Oct 2012
In reply to droites: Used the 30l in the Alps this summer. Really good pack, tough, seems to hold a lot and strips down well.

Not sure it would be big enough for scottish winter though, I plan to use a 45l when it gets cold
 frqnt 09 Oct 2012
In reply to droites:

I've got the 45L and I'm more than happy with it.

Used for day/overnight trips in the Alps and Norway earlier this year. You can restrict the volume for less kit with the axe holsters.

Quite handy having the front opening, good build quality and I find it comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.
OP droites 09 Oct 2012
In reply to frqnt: What is the zip on the front like? Do you ever worry that it is a weak/leak in scottish winter point? Also is it a big 45 compared to other 45's.

Thanks
 frqnt 09 Oct 2012
In reply to droites:

The zip is sealed/weather tight. I've not had a problem with it leaking but I've not yet put it through it's paces in Scotland. I still use a dry-sack to isolate dry gear from the wet.

Size wise, I'd consider it fairly large - I usually tighten the strops to prevent contents moving about. The hood attachment can be fitted in various positions from high to low, coupled with the drawstring at the top, it can be packed out quite a lot if necessary.

This is the only 45L I've owned so can't compare.

I can measure length & base dia. this evening if you want
OP droites 09 Oct 2012
In reply to frqnt: Nice one. Its one of those things trying to decide between the two! 30 or 45? hence the questions regarding big or small for their literage. I have a POD Black Ice, but want something a bit lighter for all year use. Still love the Black Ice though and will keep it for longer/colder trips.

Thanks
 frqnt 09 Oct 2012
In reply to droites:

It's not a perfectly circular cross section at the base, but approx. 250mm Dia. & about 700mm tall - fit's perfect into carry on baggage height wise. But as I was saying, you can allow more capacity by setting the hood higher.

Hope that's useful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...