UKC

climbing hold regs.....?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Rockhopper85 09 Oct 2012
So, soon I'm moving home and have the perfect space for a climbing wall. I bought some metolius holds, a bag of screw on tat and 7 good holds totalling to £80 and nowhere near enough.

Well I'm a composite engineer and do a lot of development work, so I put my talents to use and have designed and made some awesome holds. They feel like real rock as in feel,nooks and crannys etc and are strong and safe. So I thought I could supply these a lot cheaper to people making holds affordable for anyone. Does anyone know if I need to get regs or approval to do this? Bearing in mind I do stress testing, material testing and formulas for a living for the MOD. Any advice would be great. Thanks
 jimtitt 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Rockhopper85:
They have to conform to EN12572-3 to start with, the rules on the chemicals used (REACH 1907/2006), the regulations on pigmentation safety and naturally enough the emissions.
 Dean177 09 Oct 2012
Got any pics of the ones you have made?
Pop them on http://imgur.com/ people would be interested to see your efforts!
In reply to Dean177:

I agree, you might be onto a good business here!
 jimtitt 10 Oct 2012
In reply to jimtitt:
Correction, they may have to conform to EN12572-3. Depends if there is a directive in place.
 phil456 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Rockhopper85: Sorry, I cant help with regs; but I would like to buy a few for evaluation purposes if you have any spare. Cheers Phil
 Fraser 10 Oct 2012

Sounds interesting (and I'd also be keen to see some photos), but one thing to bear in mind with bolt-on holds / fingerboards is: they're for training and should be as finger friendly as possible. You can't train if your fingers are trashed due to the holds' rough texture etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...