UKC

Bouldering Wall in Aberdeenshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marvin1987 10 Oct 2012
What would be the general opinion of a dedicated bouldering wall being constructed in the Aberdeenshire area. Im thinking round the Peterhead area. Otherwise (if youre as far north as Fraserburgh) its an hours drive almost to Transition Extreme or the wall at RGU. I know the sea cliffs from Boddam through to Aberdeen attract a lot of climbers, and Peterhead Climbing wall is past its days (althought the granite wall is quite nice).

Would a new centre spark more interest? What are your thoughts?
 Jay.Carr 12 Oct 2012
In reply to marvin1987: I think this is a great idea
 AndyP 13 Oct 2012
In reply to marvin1987: Sounds good, but might struggle as a commercial venture. The NE definitely needs more indoor walls though.
Good Luck
 davelozman 14 Oct 2012
In reply to marvin1987: I think this is a superb idea as the bouldering wall at Transitions in Aberdeen is pretty small and lacks the variety of problems I'm used to at my local walls.
OP marvin1987 15 Oct 2012
In reply to marvin1987: Thanks for the feedback.

I was looking at industrial units that would make for good venues for a bouldering specific centre. With some very unique bouldering problems to attract some interest.
OP marvin1987 16 Oct 2012
In reply to marvin1987: Any other thoughts or opinions? What would you like to see in a new wall in the NE?
coolboy 17 Oct 2012
In reply to marvin1987:

Sounds good to me too, boulder wall at transition isn't that great, I'd wonder if there wouldn't be the numbers though, surely most climbers are Aberdeen based? Beach wall is actually quite good and gives a good workout but is just a bit dark and dingy

Tom
 peter.herd 17 Oct 2012
In reply to marvin1987: A highish bouldering wall in the Aberdeen area would be sure to attract folk - especially if it were cheaper than transition. Would need to be within cycling distance from city though.
 tom russell 18 Oct 2012
In reply to marvin1987: transitions bouldering is needing is wider boards, better variety of angles and more volumes in my opinion. you tick some of those boxes you could be on to something if you were to base near/ in aberdeen. i cant see a big market going further away. something else to think about is setting. having the best bouldering wall in the world is useless without good setters.
OP marvin1987 18 Oct 2012
In reply to tom russell: Thanks for your comments.
OP marvin1987 18 Oct 2012
In reply to marvin1987: * For everyones comments.
 tom russell 18 Oct 2012
In reply to marvin1987: if you could get people together willing to chuck in a yearly fee you could get a small wall put together for you and your friends. all money goes into holds, wall development and do it in a garage or spare room or cheap room of some kind. everyone gets a key to go in whenever and it just stays private with whoever you want to invite in. that would be amazing.
 scatface 18 Oct 2012
In reply to tom russell: Looking for a cheap room when you get get back from NZ Mr Russell?
 tom russell 19 Oct 2012
In reply to scatface: you offering?
 Plungeman 20 Oct 2012
In reply to marvin1987:

If you were to plonk a replica of Alien 2 somewhere nearby I wouldn't object too strongly. Sadly I imagine this is one of the pricier areas of the UK for industrial space
OP marvin1987 20 Oct 2012
In reply to Thoms6974: Yes ive been getting prices on various industrial units- not the cheapest of places. But with enough interest in the idea and after some market research, it could well become a reality.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...