UKC

eating for cheap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bigpad 10 Oct 2012
So i am living in whistler with 2 friends for the winter and we are canny skint, anyone know any good cheap recipes to live on?

cheers
In reply to bigpad:

buy a slow cooker and just throw some cheap cuts of meat in (have a look online, there's loads of receipes for slow cookers). easy, cheap and tasty!
aquila 10 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad: go to one of the markets in vancouver, buy a sack of rice, a sack of red lentils , a sack of onions and some spices. you will all be able to live on dahl rice and veggies for a couple of dollars a day. loads of recipes on line (and loads of experts on here) for dhal. try here:
http://www.indiadesibazaar.com/
 Harry Ellis 10 Oct 2012
The Canadian poor traditionally live on Kraft dinner (macaroni cheese in a packet)
This isnt a bad plan as meat is expenive and pasta being wheat has a decent amount of protein (c. 10%)
 robal 10 Oct 2012
In reply to thegoatstroker: KD feeds the soul, the wife attests to it!
Ffat Boi 10 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad:

"bears have begun seeking food in settled areas. Many of Whistler's bears have learned to do things like open car doors or hold spring-closed gates open so they can reach food. Most are relatively docile and few bear-human incidents have been reported. Whistler residents are strongly conservationist, and the official response has relied heavily on behavior modification for both bears and people. Removal or killing are last resorts"

There`s you`re chance, get a bear suit
 hokkyokusei 10 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad:

I've just started an experiment where I'm trying to eat for £31 for 31 days. It's mainly rice, pasta, potatoes, passata, carrots, onions, kidney beans and lentils. So it's mainly going to be veggie style chilli with rice or pasta. Soup, veggie "shepherd's" pie.

There's also bread, milk, cereal plus eggs, flour and sugar for baking - basic cake and pastry for pasties. It's going to be a bit monotonous but I reckon I'll manage.
 Hat Dude 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Ffat Boi:
> (In reply to bigpad)
>

>
> There`s you`re chance, get a bear suit

Or try this

http://www.shme.com/dish/dish150.htm
needvert 10 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad:

Dumpster diving out the back of bakeries that only sell bread cooked that day, can be good.
 Sharp 10 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad: The best things to save money are: don't buy meat, don't buy snacks, don't buy alcohol, don't buy anything with a brand, don't buy anything that isn't on your shopping list and don't buy veg unless it's reduced (apart from a big sack of value potatoes or similar).

Another huge vote for dal though and most indian food in general. You can go two ways with eating cheaply, (1) eating cheaply and badly (health and ethics wise) which is easy, just buy cheap food and eat it. or (2) eat cheaply but try and be healthy/ethical with your purchases, this is harder! Everyone will fall somewhere in between so making your mind up on how low your willing to go will give you an idea in advance on how cheap you can live.

An indian vegetarian diet is super cheap, healthy and ethical, but you do have to learn how to cook (easier than most cuisines imo) and you'll probably want to invest in a good variety of whole spices or you'll end up eating the same flavour food constantly. The staples of eastern cookery can be bought in bulk in most places - rice, flour, spices and pulses - and if that forms the bulk of your meals its just a case of cooking whatever vegetables you can find cheap. In my opinion the most interesting cheap diet you can find. If you do go down the dal route my preference is to avoid red lentils and go for something like chana dal which, imo, takes longer to get sick of than split reds, has more flavour and holds it's shape better. Other whole pulses are good as well, chick peas in particular and cheap, easy and pretty versatile. As long as you buy them dried obviously.

That's the veg side sorted but if like me you love meat but can't always afford it then curried meat is the answer as well. But don't buy a packet of chicken breasts and then cook it in a bought sauce, even buying a pound of cheaper cuts of meat and then having a meat curry and rice isn't cheap. Instead get a large amount of stewing meat (mince works really well in a curry as well, either as it is or made into balls/koftas), make your own cheap traditional sauce out of onions, garlic, ginger, spices and water and have small portions of it with your usual rice/bread, pulses and vegetables. Less meat per portion but more meals with meat in.

If you don't like indian food then it's still easy to eat cheaply with the same ideas, cheap veg, big bags of potatoes, cheap cuts of meat, soups etc. Like I said, if you really don't care what you eat then eating cheap is easy, beans on toast, mounds of home made chips, even value ready meals or tinned meals are cheap as hell..disgusting, but cheap.

Ben
Wonko The Sane 11 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad: I just had some M&S steaks for lunch. Usually I get nicer cuts, but thought I'd try these, two Flat iron steaks for £4!! and they were pretty succulent too.
rockchomper 16 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad:
soup mix (pot barley,barley flakes,asstd split peas or similar mix)
plus green lentils, brown lentils, carrots, onions.
soak soup mix overnight.
rinse several times. cook in plenty of water with washed green lentils half an hour.
add more water,add washed brown lentils, chopped carrots and onions, cook all for another half an hour.
whilst cooking for last half hour do spuds for mash.
strain off excess water from soup/lentil mix. stir in either big spoon marmite/bovril any yummy flavour. serve with mash.
can put soup/lentil mix in deep oven dish, top with mash and grated cheese and grill. any leftovers can be kept in fridge, just reheat in oven 40-45mins average heat.
 cuppatea 16 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad:

Don't forget to put the bog rolls on the fridge!
 thin bob 16 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad:
Vinegar and lemon/lime jiuce sparkle things up nicely.
Texture is what I miss when eating cheap: so raw onions, bell peppers, celery, cucumber etc.

Italian tomato sauces are good too...and a risotto can be very cheap (lemon rind, parmesan [substitute], light garlic and olive oil)

Big pans of soup and dumpster-bread!
 jules699 16 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad: brambles and nettle tea...if they have that...but knowing the canadians...just speak and you'll make lots of friends...who'll subsequently be delighted to cook for you!!
 tistimetogo 17 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad:

Porridge and sweet potatoe. Two cheap super foods that kick the ass out of everything else.

Beware of not getting enough protein though. Most common eating disorder is protein deficiency, typically amoung vegetarians.
 goatee 17 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad: Tesco noodles ..pennies... and choriso sliced in, Yummy
rockchomper 17 Oct 2012
In reply to tistimetogo:
typical vegetarians would still eat beans,lentils,cheese,eggs,milk,
yogurt,cream,tofu and any other vegetarian meals containing a protein substitute. proteins should make up approx. 15 percent of the diet, three to five portions per day. the other foods for protein are meat and fish, not all non vegetarians would eat solely enough of these two items alone per day to reach required levels and in some places/countries it is not possible to have these two items available everyday.
Wonko The Sane 17 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad: I've one word for you.
Tagine.

It's basically Moroccan stew. With lemons.
Throw in some chicken thighs or a cheap cut of lamb. Veg.. I use spuds, carrots, green beans onions and tomatoes.

You don't need to do it in a tagine. You can just do it in a stew pot.
 geebus 17 Oct 2012
Stock up on cheap stuff, generally carbs:
So a big bag of cheap pasta (in the UK, shells are usually cheapest I think and a £1 bag can last you weeks or more.)
Potatoes can be had cheap, but often smaller green grocers are cheaper than supermarkets here.
Cheap supermarket own brand cornflakes. Consider powdered milk as often that can be cheaper - and I've checked the 'basics' stuff once and it once exactly the same as the more expensive stuff, but in not as nice packaging.

Then I'd go for stuff with fat/protein as you see good deals - so get to shops at the right time for reductions, as well as keeping an eye out for bogof deals etc. Then I'd go for cooking from that, rather than looking for specific recipes. 'much anything can be added to a baked potato/bowl of pasta.
In the Uk we have www.hotukdeals.com which is good for finding out about deals, not sure about where you are.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...