UKC

60m single/half rated rope with changing sheath pattern

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oli Greg 10 Oct 2012
After the moon on a stick rope.
Wanting to replace my current single and half ropes with one do it all rope.
Ideally 60m that's rated as a single/half/double which is easy enough, but a friend has an Edelrid single rope where the sheath changes pattern at the half way point and I though that would be great for when being used as a half rope.
Is it just Edelrid that have this feature? Are there any ropes that have changing pattern in single/half?

Hope this makes sense,
ta
 itsThere 10 Oct 2012
In reply to BikeClimbWalk: beal do it http://bealplanet.com/sport/anglais/page-bicolor.php dont know where you can buy them or to have a look
 gear boy 10 Oct 2012
In reply to itsThere: yes but only on half ropes and for some reason not the joker

To the OP
Beal do black limit to mark the half way point, i.e. died black, rather than a piece of tape

HTH
andyathome 10 Oct 2012
In reply to BikeClimbWalk:
> After the moon on a stick rope.
> Wanting to replace my current single and half ropes with one do it all rope.
> Ideally 60m that's rated as a single/half/double which is easy enough, but a friend has an Edelrid single rope where the sheath changes pattern at the half way point and I though that would be great for when being used as a half rope.
> Is it just Edelrid that have this feature? Are there any ropes that have changing pattern in single/half?
>
> Hope this makes sense,

You want a single rope. That is skinny enough to use as a double. But you want a single rope with clear markings in the middle.
OP Oli Greg 10 Oct 2012
Cheers for the help. I was really hoping to find a rope that had a different pattern along the full length of each half (if that makes sense) so when it's being used as a half rope doubled up(so it's 30m half ropes) it's easier to define which is the left/right rope... maybe I'm asking too much.
OP Oli Greg 10 Oct 2012
In reply to andyathome: Is there any issue using a single rope as a half rope? Probably a stupid question.
 Chi Cheng 10 Oct 2012

You can get a Beal Joker (Triple Rated) that changes patern 1/2 way through. Called safe control.

OP Oli Greg 10 Oct 2012
In reply to andyathome: That was a daft question wasn't it? Thinking about it there can't be any issues doubling up a single, it's 2 full strength ropes rather than 2 lower strength ropes.
 Chi Cheng 10 Oct 2012
Was not a stupid question but if you fall on both ropes on the same time (each on a peace of gear at the same hight) you will have a hight impact force as both stands won't stretch as much as a set of 1/2s. I think that's right.
 gear boy 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Chi Cheng: correct, you just never see them in the UK

OP you may have to special order one, try local shop or contact www.lyon.co.uk to ask where to get one
 Landy_Dom 10 Oct 2012

Seems like a cracking idea - I've pondered similar but unfortunately just splashed out on a 60m single and the one i wanted (top gun 2) didn't do the 2 sheath patterns.

I'd go this route if I were doing it again but get a full single, maybe a 10.0 or a 10.2?
 jimtitt 10 Oct 2012
Sterling Fusion Nano Bicolor
andyathome 10 Oct 2012
I would say its not a daft question at all.

But you had better use a single rated rope 'doubled' as 2 double ropes rather than 'twins' (i.e. clipping both ropes into every piece of gear). There could be issues there with impact forces.

OP Oli Greg 10 Oct 2012
Thanks for all the replies, only Beal Joker I could find with the different sheath came in 100m length, a bit too long.
Might just have to get a single.
andyathome 10 Oct 2012
In reply to jimtitt:
Top tip, Jim.

But as you typed the name in did you not have a 'Star Trek' moment? 'Take me to nano warp fusion duo speed'.....
OP Oli Greg 10 Oct 2012
In reply to andyathome: Yes, it would only ever be used as s single or a half.
 jimtitt 10 Oct 2012
In reply to andyathome:
> (In reply to jimtitt)
> Top tip, Jim.
>
> But as you typed the name in did you not have a 'Star Trek' moment? 'Take me to nano warp fusion duo speed'.....

I´ve spent the last few days researching physical vapour deposition and plasma assisted chemical vapour deposition and there are more nanos and nanometres per sentence than you can possibly imagine!

andyathome 10 Oct 2012
In reply to jimtitt:
Jim, If I knew of what you speak I would bow my head in awe.

As it is I just bow my head in awe anyway.

Truly !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...