UKC

University Project - Portable Chargers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ollieboy 12 Oct 2012
Hello everybody, I am conducting a survey to help with a university project on portable charging systems,based on non solar technology. It is to be designed to be used in conditions as harsh as the north pole.

If any of you could find the time to complete the below survey, it would be greatly appreciated. Will only take like a minute of your time.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GWVMF9W

Cheers,

Ollie (Glamorgan Uni Climbing Club President)
 JoshOvki 12 Oct 2012
In reply to ollieboy:

Done. Any ideas what you will use instead of solar? Seems like the only reliable portable energy available.
Shearwater 12 Oct 2012
In reply to JoshOvki:
> Any ideas what you will use instead of solar? Seems like the only reliable portable energy available.

Define "available". Radioisotope thermoelectric generators have proven to be pretty portable and reliable

To the OP: I don't think your survey goes into enough detail. "How much are you willing to pay" depends very much on how much power the device will provide. £400 for 40 watts would be pretty good, £400 for 4 watts rather less so.

There are other things too, like the ability of the device to run unattended, and whether it requires hazardous materials in order to function, and whether it requires any maintenance during normal use, etc.
OP ollieboy 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Shearwater: This is just an initial survey in order to begin a conceptual design specification. So far from the survey the main points of concern seem to be size, weight and compatibility across various devices which were all expected outcomes. I understand you comment on price, but currently the technology has not been fully researched and so output against price can not be calculated as yet.

Technology wise, I am looking at body heat thermo generators, vibration utilisation, kinetic generation similar to that of self powered watches. Solar is plenty reliable, when we have some sun :P
 toad 13 Oct 2012
In reply to ollieboy: done, but I need something a bit chunkier I suspect
OP ollieboy 31 Oct 2012
To all those who showed interest, thought this might be a solution. Have a gander, the problem is solved!

http://npowerpeg.com/
 rallymania 31 Oct 2012
In reply to ollieboy:

nice (clicks on buy one now)... wait, what?... $200?

(clicks cancel)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...