UKC

Ecrins ice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 k.shark 12 Oct 2012
How reliable are the conditions in the ecrins ,trying to make my mind up between ecrins or back to rjukan . I have been to Ailefroide a couple of times rock climbing so know area.What is best time of year was considering mid february.
 Patzl 12 Oct 2012
In reply to k.shark:
> How reliable are the conditions in the ecrins ,trying to make my mind up between ecrins or back to rjukan . I have been to Ailefroide a couple of times rock climbing so know area.What is best time of year was considering mid february.

Supposed to be really good, but my experience with Ice in these areas, Alp de Huez, La Grave, etc is its hit or miss. With the west side, Briancon, Fressinere? and the niebouring valleys it all depends on the snow fall as its avalanche prone, your best bet is to contact Jerry Gore at alpbase.com before you leave and ask whats in, id go there for a week if your interseted in teaming up.
Pat
 beardy mike 12 Oct 2012
In reply to k.shark: Its a tricky area sometimes as it gets masses of sun and not masses of snow. It all depends on how the year pans out but doesn't it always?
 AdrianC 12 Oct 2012
In reply to k.shark: Unless you're going at some odd time in the season you should be fine. There's heaps to go at.
 jonnie3430 12 Oct 2012
In reply to AdrianC:

The valley heading up to La Berade seemed to have loads to go at as well.
 Dave Williams 12 Oct 2012
In reply to k.shark:

I have been going there for well over a decade and have climbed in all the major Ecrin areas as well as some of the minor ones. I have also ice climbed in places such as the Ubaye, Orcieres, Crevoux, Les Orres, Champsaur etc and in my experience conditions are very variable and sometimes there just isn't loads to go for unless you're prepared to travel around a lot - as well as know where to look. For instance, last season was particularly poor in comparison with previous years in La Grave, Fressiniers and Fournel. Alpe d'Huez, on the other hand, had good ice.

Usually conditions are good, but 100% reliable? No.

HTH

Dave
OP k.shark 13 Oct 2012
In reply to k.shark Thanks some helpful replies will discuss with climbing partner's Rjukan conditions were not great this year either think we had best of them. Hopefully we will have another 2010 season here also.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...