UKC

Another 'where's this then?' question...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Apologies for the repeated badgering to help me find out just where I've been as I work through scans of slides, but which hill is this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8411024@N08/8090110210/in/photostream

I know it's somewhere in the Arolla area, and I suspect it was taken either from or somewhere near the Vignettes hut, but which hill is it? Blowed if I can remember.

All help greatly received...

T.
 Padraig 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

IT's either Pigne or Cheilon I think?
 Padraig 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Padraig:

Actually it could be Collon?
In reply to Padraig: I had thought of those, but was still scratching my head. The left-hand side of the face doesn't fit with my memory of Cheilion, and it seems too far away to be the Pigne D'Arolla; and the absence of a glacier below argues against Colloin.

Hence my head scratching...

T.
Removed User 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Padraig: i think it's probably Petit Mont Collon with l'Eveque just off screen to the left?...
 Chris Harris 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserPadraig) i think it's probably Petit Mont Collon with l'Eveque just off screen to the left?...

Spot on.
In reply to Removed User: Excellent, and thank you. I had, for reasons only my subconscious knows, completely ignored Petit Mont Collon; and yet my guidebook for the area describes it as 'curiously isolated' and refers to the 'triangular snow/ice face immediately seen from the Vignettes hut', which should have been enough clues to give me the answer.

The guidebook may be old (it is the red-backed 1979 Alpine Club edition) but it appears to be in better shape than my memory...

T.
In reply to Pursued by a bear: Nicely rendered, anyone know what techniques were used?
In reply to stroppygob:
> Nicely rendered, anyone know what techniques were used?

Thank you, but I fear you over-estimate my capabilities. The original slide was taken on 50 ASA Fujichrome in a fixed lens (35 mm, as I recall) Olympus XA2, which was a cracking little camera for its day. The slide was then left in a box for several decades before being scanned recently on a cheap-and-cheerful scanner. I then edited it in photoshop elements to get rid of dust; otherwise what you see is pretty much what was on the slide. The slight blue-ish cast seems to be on the slide too rather than an artefact of the scanner and as this is common to a few slides I've scanned I think it may be something to do with having left them for many years; or possibly not, I'm sure there are others here much more knowledgable than I about this.

Back in the day it was a good discipline using a small, fixed lens film camera as it put the onus on you to get the image right before you pressed the shutter, and that's something I still try to do today; get one good image rather than shoot like wildfire on the grounds that you don't need to pay to have someone develop digital images. Doesn't always work, of course!

T.
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
>
> Thank you, but I fear you over-estimate my capabilities. The original slide was taken on 50 ASA Fujichrome in a fixed lens (35 mm, as I recall) Olympus XA2, which was a cracking little camera for its day. The slide was then left in a box for several decades before being scanned recently on a cheap-and-cheerful scanner. I then edited it in photoshop elements to get rid of dust; otherwise what you see is pretty much what was on the slide. The slight blue-ish cast seems to be on the slide too rather than an artefact of the scanner and as this is common to a few slides I've scanned I think it may be something to do with having left them for many years; or possibly not, I'm sure there are others here much more knowledgable than I about this.

Not a technique I'll be soon putting into practice then.

Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...