UKC

Video Editing With Panasonic Lumix FT3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonnie3430 18 Oct 2012
Hello,

Can anyone help? I have a Panasonic FT3 and am finding the software that came with it for editing video a bit clunky. (Panasonic Photofunstudio.) It seems that if I want to join two videos together I have to create a slideshow and cannot reduce it to an uploadable size either (recorded in HD.) Could anyone recommend a way I can change the size of my video (MPEG2) with that software, or recommend something other programme I could use instead? It records AVCHD (.mts) can I/should I change this to something else?
 Indy 18 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

The missus has a Panasonic compact camera and I've just looked on our computer (an iMac) and we've edited stuff straight from it with iMovie which will also upload to YouTube etc. Not sure exactly what format it is or if its converting it in some way as Apple hides stuff like that away. Have seen .mts, .mxf and .mov. Murphy's Law states you'll be using a PC!

A while a go I was recommended a free bit of software that converted from AVCHD into .Mov but for the life of me can't remember what its called. Could find out tomorrow if nobody comes up with anything else .
 rallymania 18 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

do you want something free?
(windows essenitals movie maker 2011)

or are you prepared to pay a few quid
(sony vegas / premier elements and several others)
OP jonnie3430 18 Oct 2012
In reply to Indy:
> (In reply to jonnie3430)
>
> Murphy's Law states you'll be using a PC!
>
Got it in one!

> A while a go I was recommended a free bit of software that converted from AVCHD into .Mov but for the life of me can't remember what its called. Could find out tomorrow if nobody comes up with anything else .

There is a few coming up on google, but I'll hold off to see if there is a one stop shop solution. Thanks anyway.

OP jonnie3430 18 Oct 2012
In reply to rallymania:

I have moviemaker which doesn't recognise AVCHD or MPEG2 (odd, it only finds the audio,) as I am on Vista I assume that the 2011 will be a bit too snazzy for my laptop...
 rallymania 18 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

i believe the 2011 version works on XP so i think you should be safe to try it... can't help you directly with this as i use something different.

there are also converters that will convert the footage into something more generic which might help. i'm PCless till tomorrow now, so will see if i can find you a suitable convert tomorrow if now one else pipes up
OP jonnie3430 19 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

Does anyone know if Handbrake is any good as a video editor and whether it'd work with AVCHD (.mts?)
 Fraser 19 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

Search on here for .mts - the question has been asked on UKC before by other, including me There have been various recommendations for suitable software - I ended up using (ie buying) Sony Vegas, but there are several others.
 Ron Walker 19 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

I use a hacked ''Windows Movie Maker 6' on Win 7 even though it's not designed to be used with Win 7 but on Vista! The Movie Maker on Win7 is rubbish compared to the previous versions. I first convert the .mts video files to Windows media files (.mmv) beforehand so they can be seen by Win Movie Maker.
OP jonnie3430 26 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

I downloaded a free version of Prism Video File Converter, which lets me go from .mts to .wmv and use moviemaker. Thanks for the help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...