UKC

Chamonix - summer 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 frqnt 18 Oct 2012
I'm considering spending 7-weeks in Chamonix between May and July. My intention would be to explore at lower altitude and hopefully find a climbing partner when I'm there.

Before I go ahead and commit to an apartment, purchase guidebooks etc. I thought I'd make an appeal on here for advice;
I'm keen on mixed lines, will the weather conditions at this time of year accommodate this?
Are there ice routes, like Chere Couloir, that stay in reasonable nik throughout the year?
Historically, would Route Major on Mont Blanc or Croz/Walker Spur on Grandes Jorasses be suitable early in July?

Instant karma for positive input.
 Mark Haward 22 Oct 2012
In reply to frqnt:

If you camped you have the flexibility to move to another area if the weather is poor. Also saves lots of money.
Bear in mind many of the uplifts don't re-open until the end of June. Actual opening dates will be on their website. Nt a problem if you are happy to walk of course. Also, some huts are not open then.
Weather is always variable but, yes, plenty of routes will be climbable. Yes, many routes stay in condition throughout the summer - such as the Cherie - but varies every year.
Your questions suggest that the Croz / Walker Spur may not be a target for 2013.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...