UKC

CWA Logbook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Panick 20 Oct 2012
Ive booked myself onto a CWA training course, Ive just received my logbook and ive started filling it out and hit a few hurdles.

Ive been climbing indoors for 5-6 years at around 8 or 9 venues around the Uk. I regularly go once a week to one place or another.

How much should I enter into the log?
 Richard Wilson 20 Oct 2012
In reply to Panick:

All of it.

Summarise the older stuff & detail the newer stuff & any instructing you have done.

I found it easier to use the pc forms to fill it all in as it allows you to move it all about when you remember stuff. Them just before your training session print it out. Do the same for your assessment.
 trueuk1 20 Oct 2012
In reply to Panick: As richard has said, log Everything! every little helps as they say, and enjoy it buddy.
Steve
 thedatastream 20 Oct 2012
Print out your UKC logbook!
 Richard Wilson 20 Oct 2012
In reply to thedatastream:
> Print out your UKC logbook!

Wont help for the CWA he is doing.

UKC only logs outdoor climbs.
 Adam Hughes 20 Oct 2012
In reply to Panick: I would log everything, including outdoor stuff.
When I went for my spa assesment my asset looked at multi-pitch pages too, surely it shows your active outdoors aswell as indoors, plus if I find indoors and out completely different so it shows an understanding of climbing as a whole, but that's just how I would think of it.

Adam
 griffen 20 Oct 2012
In reply to Panick:

put a summary of everything in, your trainer (and assessor when you get that far) can't count outdoor climbs towards the cwa log but it does demonstrate wider climbing experience, which is something that isn't going to be a bad thing.
Using the downloadable versions is easier for you because you can alter and adjust as you remember and you've got a copy saved if you loose any pages but also for the trainer / assessor because print is much easier to read than handwritten logs squeezed into those tiny boxes.
altadv 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Panick:
Wright up a summery of what you can remember. Then start filling in the log book pages and detailed as possible. We can then as trainers give you advice on what to do for consolidation before assessment.
Remember once you have passed keep log book up to date. Then employers / organisation you may do instruction for can see you are current.
 greycarsdave 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Panick:

Is it possible to put a log in for supervision and individual on the same date? e.g: myself and an inexperienced climber go to a wall, I teach them belaying, tying in etc, then they belay me for a few routes? Does that count as supervision? Or does it need to be with a qualified instructor?

Dave.
 Andy Say 24 Oct 2012
In reply to greycarsdave:
It is, of course, possible. And the Mountain Training Boards have always been pretty relaxed about accepting 'informal supervision'.
But someone examining that log might query the 'primary purpose' of the session.
And if you are needing that sort of 'double entry' to meet the minimums then they would always recommend that you might need to get a few more sessions in!
 Liam Brown 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Richard Wilson:
> (In reply to thedatastream)
> [...]
>
>
> Wont help for the CWA he is doing.
>
> UKC only logs outdoor climbs.

Not true. I think this was created for in order to accomodate those that needed to log indoor climbs. http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=9281 I might be wrong about that, but it could serve a purpose

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...