UKC

Velco vs Lace Muiras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 22 Oct 2012
Hi,
What are the major difference between these two shoes?
The lace ones can be found for a good 20 quid cheeper online over the velcro ones, is there a drop in performance?
They seem pretty much the same shoe bar the velcro?
 sean1 23 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki: The velcro shoe has more of a down turn toe. This will be a more precise shoe on steep overhang walls. The lace version is a better all round. It is still one of the best edging shoes around, good at cracks, pretty good at smearing as well. It is a comfortable shoe for such a high performance shoe.
kingofthering 23 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki:
I always found the Lace up generally more precise and better on overhanging because it´s a bit softer and it´s toeshape is somehow better.
The velcro doesn´t fit my foot at all while the lace up was/is great.
OP fire_munki 23 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki:
Guess I'll need to try them both on.
 Murd 23 Oct 2012
In reply to fire_munki:
I have both lace up and velcro and find them very different. The lace is softer and more sensitive, less aggressive and no down turn. The vs is stiffer and down turned, love them on edges and the steep stuff. Both great shoes. Sure someone will have another opinion
 petellis 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Murd:
> (In reply to fire_munki)
> The lace is softer and more sensitive, less aggressive and no down turn. The vs is stiffer and down turned, love them on edges and the steep stuff. Both great shoes. Sure someone will have another opinion

Aye, I find them the other way round - VS is softer and more sensitive/smeary whilst the (lined) lace up is stiffer and more edgy.

Maybe its something to do with the sape of the toe box and out feet.

I use the vs on boulders and smeary grit, lace up on trad and lime.

If I was the OP I'd try them both, they are very different shoes rather than just being the same shoe with different fastening. Someone once told me the Miura VS is actually the velcro version of the katana lace, whilst the katana is actually the velcro version of the Miura lace but I don't know if that is true.
 AlanLittle 23 Oct 2012
According to Sportiva's website they are built on the same last, but as everybody here has said they feel very different because of the greater tension/downturn in the velcros. It's a question of what suits your feet and climbing style.

I personally find the Laces the best climbing shoes I've ever had, but I don't climb much radically overhanging stuff. I tried the Velcros on in a shop but didn't like the fit & feel at all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...