UKC

Good films

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Motown 25 Oct 2012
Lovefilm list is empty and need inspiration for some good films to watch. All genres from Seagal to serious please.
BrumSparky 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat:
Missus was away so - films last weekend:-
Die Hard 1 & 2 (Boy film)
Avengers ('nother boy film)
and
Black Book - A superb film. Highly recommended.
also on my fave's list:-
L.A.Confidential
Chinatown
Master and Commander

There you go. Enjoy.
 Jon Stewart 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat: the network, frost/Nixon, the wrestler, exit through the gift shop, 4 lions living in oblivion
 Alyson 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat: Give us a clue! What films have you enjoyed?
 Blue Straggler 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat:

Map of the Human Heart

Laputa The Flying Island (may now be called Castle in the Sky though)
In reply to Alyson:
> (In reply to Will Cat) Give us a clue! What films have you enjoyed?

I'm going to guess at " All genres from Seagal to serious please.". Just a hunch....

:-P
 wushu 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat:

The Darjeeling limited.

The Life Aquatic.

Black Hawk Down.
johnj 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat:

I know it got slated at the box office, but I thought John Carter was fantastic, i'd put it on a par with Dune.
In reply to Will Cat: "Tell No one" is really good
 Alyson 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler: So he's enjoyed every film he's ever seen in every genre? Wow, that's quite a range! Ok, in that case

The Sting
Ghostbusters
In America
Toy Story
Inside I'm Dancing
King of Kongs: A Fistful of Quarters
 ripper 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat: if you don't mind subtitles, some great stuff from the far east...
Hero
Red Cliff
The Assembly
Infernal Affairs
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
Sonatine
Battle Royale

..for starters....
OP Motown 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat: A great start - I know request was non-specific but good to get some new ideas.

Cohen brothers films are a favourite, though.
 ripper 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat:
Badlands, Days of Heaven, Thin Red Line
In reply to Alyson:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) So he's enjoyed every film he's ever seen in every genre? Wow, that's quite a range!

I was quite obviously answering your "Give us a clue!" rather than your "What films have you enjoyed?"

Try to be less facetious, that'd be nicer wouldn't it?
 ripper 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat: This is England - or any Shane Meadows
Wonko The Sane 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat: Das Boot. In German with subtitles is best, English version nowhere near as good.

The Cruel Sea.
Gattaca.
 ripper 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat: Talladega Nights, Zoolander, There's Something About Mary...
 ripper 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat: Apocalypse Now, Godfathers 1&2, The Conversation...
 ripper 25 Oct 2012
In reply to ripper: or, the inspiration for Apocalypse - Aguirre Wrath of God
In reply to Will Cat:
> Cohen brothers films are a favourite, though.

Try Sam Raimi's "A Simple Plan"
 Kieran_John 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat:

Recent favourites:

Detention
The Raid (subtitled)
Cabin in the Woods
Dredd
Midnight in Paris
Juan of the Dead (subtitled)
Marianne (subtitled)
OP Motown 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat: Thank you all. Some great reminders too. Aguirre, Wrath of God is a must.
 ripper 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat:
> (In reply to Will Cat) . Aguirre, Wrath of God is a must.

In a similar vein (as in also directed by Herzog, starring Kinski and filmed/set in the south american jungle), Fitzcarraldo is supposed to be good, although I've yet to see it. the stories about filming these are brilliant too - Herzog continually winding Kinski up to keep him on edge as he thought it helped the performance; Kinski threatening to walk off set only for Herzog to pull a gun and threaten to blow his own brains out if he did; Kinski pulling a gun during one argument and loosing off a shot which went through the wall of a tent where the crew were playing cards and took off someone's finger; the native extras having a meeting about Kinski's behaviour towards Herzog, and sending their head man to tell Herzog solemnly that they'd discussed the problem and decided they were going to kill Kinski....there's a brillian photo somewhere too of Kinski with his hands clenched around Herzog's throat and others trying to pull him off!
 Alyson 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Alyson)
> [...]
>
> I was quite obviously answering your "Give us a clue!" rather than your "What films have you enjoyed?"

Ah ok, well I sort of mean them to be read together, ie give us a clue by telling us what films you have enjoyed. So your answer seemed a little snippy, but that could be me being overly sensitive as I think a lot of your posts sound snippy although I'm not sure you always mean them as such.
>
> Try to be less facetious, that'd be nicer wouldn't it?

Yes, maybe it would! Although facetious just means not taking things seriously or joking inappropriately and I think what you mean is that I take things too seriously or miss the joke, no?

PS Am I doing it again?

PPS Heartlands!
 Ava Adore 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat:

Reasonably recent films I've enjoyed at the cinema:

Taken
Taken 2 (sorry Blue)
Super 8

Erm...Actually I thought that would be a longer list but I'm shit at remembering film names, film plots and..well, films, really.
 Ava Adore 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:

Oooh, just remembered another one I loved - Bucket List
 Tom Last 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat:

Threads

The whole film is on Youtube. Not exactly a barrel of laughs.
 ripper 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat: also quite enjoyed District 9 and Monsters
 Edradour 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat:

For a bit of independent (but not wanky) scottish stuff try 'Angel's Share'.

For more mainstream I've enjoyed 'The Help', 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (US version)', Avengers and Pleasantville recently.
 Edradour 25 Oct 2012
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to Will Cat) also quite enjoyed District 9

I thought this was one of the worst films I've ever seen!

ripper 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Fickalli: really? interested to hear why... just goes to show it's all subjective though, one person's bacon etc etc
 ripper 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat: just remembered an absolute belter - although perhaps not to everyone's taste. If you like the very blackest of really black humour... Man Bites Dog
 AndyB123 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat: TV series - Breaking Bad
Daithi O Murchu 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat:

The Breath - Turkish with subs, unit isolated in winter on mountain fighting the KKK, good psycological modern war movie

Trope Elite 1 & 2 - Brazilian with subs , BOPE ( anti drug SWAT basicaly) and political corruption

The secrets in their eyes - Argentinian with subs - unsolved murder meets love story, very well put together film, captures the draw/attraction between man and woman very well.

Sophie Scholl - german subs , Youffs Standing up to the Nazis ( F**in awsome film)

into the Abyss - Death row documentary by Herzog

Margin call - financial meltdown from the point of view of the traders

Collapse - you want conspiracy throry, i'll give you conspiracy theories

The Tillman story - Oh how heroes fall, documentary on how NFL star dies in Afghanastan

Wild Bill - not everyone in jail is a bad person

United 93 - what would you have done?

Teri - a film about being nice to each other

Stranger than fiction - hearing voices?, then u is a mado

Martha Marcy May Marlene - life after you leave a cult
 Arcticboy 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat: The original Hitchcock Rear Window - cinematic genius!!
 Tom Valentine 25 Oct 2012

You must be joking. People trying to rip off mob money? I'm surprised Charley Varrick wasn't flying the plane!
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to Will Cat)
> Badlands, Days of Heaven, Thin Red Line
I'd probably add the next in the sequence but after that? No chance.

In reply to ripper:
Fitzcarraldo and Burden of Dreams are in HMV at the mo, special 25th anniversary edition. I'm sure less than a tenner. I'm still on the film and haven't got round to the documentary yet, but I vaguely remember it from its original showings.
In reply to Tom Valentine:
> I'm still on the film and haven't got round to the documentary yet, but I vaguely remember it from its original showings

NOt seen it on my DVD yet but I saw it at the NFT's Herzog season in 2001 or so. Great footage of Jagger, and some pure genius with Cardinale failing to comprehend Herzog telling her not to open a particular door on the set of the boat

As for A Simple Plan - yeah yeah. It's not in the Tex-Mex borderlands. The mob heavies are not quirky main characters. The wife is far more influential. It's much more of a human drama.

But yes. Good triple bill that. Maybe the Coens showed McCarthy's book (or Charley Varrick!) to Sam Raimi and he beat them to the punch

In reply to Arcticboy:
> (In reply to Will Cat) The original Hitchcock Rear Window - cinematic genius!!

Yes but casting a wheelchair-bound Christopher Reeve in the TV-movie remake was even MORE genius
In reply to Will Cat:

Cutter's Way.
I love this film more with every viewing.
Jeff Bridges doing what he does, William Heard in outstanding form and the delectable Lisa Eichorn giving what someone called " the most underrated performance of the 80's"
Oh, and the best opening sequence/music ever done.
 ripper 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Tom Valentine: thanks! that's the wife's xmas pressy sorted...
 Martin W 26 Oct 2012

> casting a wheelchair-bound Christopher Reeve in the TV-movie remake was even MORE genius

No Grace Kelly = no good!
 graeme jackson 26 Oct 2012
In reply to johnj:
> (In reply to Will Cat)
>
> I know it got slated at the box office, but I thought John Carter was fantastic, i'd put it on a par with Dune.

Really? carter is as bad as that? glad i missed it then
 Peakpdr 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat:

Dark city... best film ever
johnj 26 Oct 2012
In reply to graeme jackson:
> (In reply to johnj)
> [...]
>
> Really? carter is as bad as that? glad i missed it then

well anything that i'd try to write about it other than I'm a sucker for those boy meets girl b movies would sound like a badly typed soundbite

much easier to listen to coast to coast am

youtube.com/watch?v=W5_dDRXAW34&
OP Motown 26 Oct 2012
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to Will Cat)
> [...]
>
> In a similar vein (as in also directed by Herzog, starring Kinski and filmed/set in the south american jungle), Fitzcarraldo is supposed to be good, although I've yet to see it. the stories about filming these are brilliant too - Herzog continually winding Kinski up to keep him on edge as he thought it helped the performance; Kinski threatening to walk off set only for Herzog to pull a gun and threaten to blow his own brains out if he did; Kinski pulling a gun during one argument and loosing off a shot which went through the wall of a tent where the crew were playing cards and took off someone's finger; the native extras having a meeting about Kinski's behaviour towards Herzog, and sending their head man to tell Herzog solemnly that they'd discussed the problem and decided they were going to kill Kinski....there's a brillian photo somewhere too of Kinski with his hands clenched around Herzog's throat and others trying to pull him off!

Fitzcorraldo is another joy. My best fiend, which charts their relationship is also fascinating. Grizzly Man is a selection piece of footage by Herzog.
OP Motown 26 Oct 2012
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to Will Cat) just remembered an absolute belter - although perhaps not to everyone's taste. If you like the very blackest of really black humour... Man Bites Dog

Already a favourite.
ccmm 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat:

Old Boy (Korean) is very good.

If I'm allowed a plug then "Donkeys" is wonderful. Set in Glasgow it's a very dark comedy about euthanasia - and directed by my other half. It won best feature in this years Scottish Bafta.
 Owen W-G 26 Oct 2012
Films I really liked

Hunger
A Prophet
Moon
Pontypool
Hard Candy
In the Loop
Take Shelter
I Saw the Devil
OldBoy - Feature
Funny Games
JCVD - The Movie
Eden Lake
Kill List
Cell 211
Source Code
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
The Guard
The Inbetweeners Movie

Films I liked

Attack the Block
Black Swan
Buried
Drive
In Bruges
Inside Job
Machete
NEDS
The King's Speech
True Grit
We Need to Talk About Kevin
 ripper 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat: Yes +1 to the last two posters' mentions of OldBoy and In Bruges - and can I add La Haine?
 Captain Gear 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Cat:

Twin Town
Thomas Crown Affair (either version)
Sleuth (remake)
Italian Job (original)
Black Book
Silence of the Lambs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...