UKC

Destination for a week-long group trip in summer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ripper 25 Oct 2012
As it says, interested in suggestions for a venue for a week-long trip next summer or late spring. Last year we did the Dolomites which was ace and we may well go again, but would be interested to hear suggestions for alternatives - we're mainly looking for warmish rock, with lots of multi-pitch trad (we do a sport trip in October) as well as options for other activities like hiking, VF, eating, drinking, and yes ok maybe a bit of sport or bouldering. Oh, and somewhere that's just a nice place to be, you know?
In reply to ripper: Depends how far you want to go. Moab, perhaps?

T.
 Mike-W-99 25 Oct 2012
In reply to ripper:
Sounds just like the Ecrin.
OP ripper 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear: Utah? thanks, but probably too far, I should have specified fairly easily get-to-able (budget airline flights or drive)
In reply to Mike_Watson_99: That was my other first thought. I don't know enough about the Vercors to actively suggest it as a destination, but were it me looking for a place to visit I'd have a poke about and see what I could find. Others who know more may be able to point out possibilities.

T.
OP ripper 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Mike_Watson_99: more like it, thanks - is there lots of warm rock, as opposed to snow and ice?

I should also have said, the group will be of mixed ability (that is, the gamut of abilities from beginner to mid-grade bumbly, no rock or ice gods/godesses here)
 Mark F 25 Oct 2012
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to Mike_Watson_99) more like it, thanks - is there lots of warm rock, as opposed to snow and ice?
>
> I should also have said, the group will be of mixed ability (that is, the gamut of abilities from beginner to mid-grade bumbly, no rock or ice gods/godesses here)

Yes, the Ecrins is the place to go for a group holiday. There are plenty of apartments to rent in Vallouise, hostel (gite) accommodation in Valouise or Ailefroide, or a campsite in Ailefroide. Oodles of VF, trad, and sport climbing within a short drive, as well as great walking, cycling, rafting, and should you be so inclined, alpine climbing. The scenery is superb and the climate very nice (I have spent two separate weeks there - in June/July - and not had any rain at all). It can be a bit awkward to get to by air in the summer - Turin is the best airport, but as far as I know there are only flights from London. Email me if you would like more information.
 Mike-W-99 25 Oct 2012
In reply to ripper:
We did two weeks without stepping on a glacier although theres plenty of that kind of stuff if you want obviously.
Flew into geneva and drove down. Stayed in Puy St Vincent although would probably pay a bit more and stay down in the valley next time.
OP ripper 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Mark F: thanks, that's great. I'll look into it some more and come back if/when I have any specific questions, if that's ok? The first one that springs to mind is what's the coverage of english guidebooks like?
 Mark F 26 Oct 2012
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to Mark F) thanks, that's great. I'll look into it some more and come back if/when I have any specific questions, if that's ok? The first one that springs to mind is what's the coverage of english guidebooks like?

There are various guidebooks available locally, mostly in French I think, but the latest edition of this one: "Escalade en Brianconnais, Haut Val Durance, Queyras" (Yann Martine & Jean-Jacques Rolland) has text in both French and English. It covers the main sport crags in the area and costs about 30 euros. Available from sports shops in the valley (which also rent VF gear in case any of your party need it).

Only in French, I'm afraid, but there's some good information about the via ferrata routes here:

http://www.montagne-virtuel.com/05/viaferrata/viaferrata.php

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...