UKC

Windows 8

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 25 Oct 2012
Is anyone else upgrading today? I'm downloading my (discounted) copy of the Pro version now. Looking forward to replacing the Release Preview and seeing if there's anything useful in the new app store!

(P.S. Not looking to start a flamewar here. Some people prefer Macs, some people will want to stick with Windows 7; I get it. =P )
 another_mark 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill: Out of interest - will it do a nice upgrade on the Win 8 RC? microsoft implied to me that I'd need to reinstall xp.
OP Only a hill 25 Oct 2012
In reply to another_mark:
It seems to be working ok on my PC ... from what I understand, if you have one of the preview copies (developer, consumer or release) it will upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.

If it doesn't work then I'll just upgrade from Windows 7 on the other partition.
In reply to Only a hill:

Ain't even got to Windows 7 yet (work PC).

ALC
In reply to Only a hill:
The installation process has crashed ... great!
 Padraig 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill:
> (In reply to Only a hill)
> The installation process has crashed ... great!

I'm shocked! Windows crashing. Whatever next? You'll prob need 2Gb of memory to run it!!
In reply to Padraig:
=P

Theoretically you only need 1GB, but I've got 4 so it should be ok (again theoretically!)
 thebrookster 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill:

I'll maybe give it a shot once I can find a copy to "borrow"!!

Completely pointless in me buying it, I run Win 7 on my main PC, solely because I needed it for some college stuff that Linux was not quite up to scratch. I do want to have a good look, out of no more than interest, but not permanently
 wilkie14c 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill:
I've heard/read that W8 is really aimed at tablet users so in direct competition with ipads I guess, it that right anyone?
I've learned to play micro$oft leapfrog anyway, just advance 2 op systems each time. Every other op sys is shit, I went 98/XP/7 missing out ME/Vista/8?
I still have the misfortune to have to work with Vista a lot and at work server 2003 which really isn't too bad, fancy XP really
Removed User 25 Oct 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> I've heard/read that W8 is really aimed at tablet users so in direct competition with ipads I guess, it that right anyone?

..and Iphones and Android. Yes I'd say so. Microsoft has also bought Skype which is something that's coming to mobile phones. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the world was ruled by Nokia and Microsoft in a couple of years time.
 The Lemming 25 Oct 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

I too am going to give Win 8 a pass. Its probably fine and dandy but I've read some bumpf that I'm not too keen on it.

I'll be sticking with Windows 7, which works perfectly for me and Android. Both OS's work well with each other so why upset the apple-cart?

Not a fan of Win 8 making life hard to dual boot and the ability to kill or delete aps from Redman Hill.
In reply to blanchie14c:
It's meant to be a system to unify the desktop, laptop and tablet classes of computer. I think *if* you have a touchscreen monitor, it works spectacularly well--otherwise there are no real benefits over Windows 7.

That said, I've now managed to install my copy properly and some of the apps in the store are AWESOME. 1:25,000 OS mapping for the entire country for less than £2, for example!
 thebrookster 25 Oct 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> I've heard/read that W8 is really aimed at tablet users so in direct competition with ipads I guess, it that right anyone?

Pretty much, yeah.

The traditional computer is pretty much dead technology now (well, they will still be around for a lot longer, but no longer the way forward you might say)
Likewise, laptops are dead, I shall be very surprised if they even remain on the market for much longer.

Like it or lump it, tablets and wireless is the way forwards, although the tablet is not quite there yet (not powerful enough).

So it is not surprising that OS makers have been moving towards touchscreen oriented systems, Linux went a while ago, as did Apple, Microsoft are simply playing catch-up!!
 The New NickB 25 Oct 2012
In reply to a lakeland climber:
>
> Ain't even got to Windows 7 yet (work PC).
>
> ALC

Same here still on XP, although getting 7 in March. Mac at home, so very limited experience of 7, let alone 8.
BrumSparky 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill:
1Gig? For an operating system???
Talk about bloatware.
W8 not on MY xmas list. Seems it's time to make the leap to ubuntu.
As far as PC's and Lappys being dead, no chance. Tell that to all the millions of companies using "traditional" computers. I could see clouding taking off because there's positive financial benefits but junking workstations for tablets? Not a hope.
 woolsack 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill: No more support for XP...... sob, sob, sob
In reply to Only a hill:
Does that mapping app allow you to download all the maps to your computer? Bing maps already has the 25k OS maps if you zoom to the right level but needs an internet connection to work.
 SCC 26 Oct 2012
In reply to BrumSparky:

Agree about laptops and desktops being around for a long time.
Tablets are great for casual use.
They also look flash.
They are also lighter than laptops.

Most people will prefer a real keyboard for extended use though, along with greater connectivity, the option to use a DVD drive etc etc.

People want (or are convinced they want) a pretty GUI with animated windows, transparent previews etc etc. This takes memory to run it.
Latest MAC O/S mem requirement is 2GB I believe.
So, if you don't want all the features, then yes, it's "bloatware" - but if you do then it's the price you pay.

Si
 EeeByGum 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill:

> That said, I've now managed to install my copy properly and some of the apps in the store are AWESOME. 1:25,000 OS mapping for the entire country for less than £2, for example!

Oh dear - you have been duped there!

http://binged.it/UKZ9T5

I really like Windows 8. We have been using it for a while (development copy) and I have to say, if you have a lot of apps installed on your PC, the Start Menu is a nightmare to navigate. The start screen definitely improves that matter. Not used it in tablet or mobile form yet, but there is definitely a big opportunity for any Windows programmers out there to get a first mover advantage of the app store because there are hardly any apps there at the mo.
 Chris the Tall 26 Oct 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:
But what version is it really, given that Windows 7 was actually version 6.1. In other words, what does OSVERSIONINFOEX dwMajorVersion say ?

The second releases in the cycle always seems better than the first - Windows 7 being more stable than Vista, XP being much better than 2000, Win 98 better than 95. Mind you ME was the third in that cycle and boy was it crap !
OP Only a hill 26 Oct 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:
Wow, didn't know you could get OS mapping through Bing!

Got to agree about the Start screen ... I always thought the Start menu was a totally brain-dead idea to be honest (which is why the first version of Windows I found vaguely usable was 7, which at least allowed you to pin apps to the taskbar like a Mac).
 EeeByGum 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to EeeByGum)
> But what version is it really, given that Windows 7 was actually version 6.1. In other words, what does OSVERSIONINFOEX dwMajorVersion say ?

I am not expert on Windows versioning, but I do know that Vista and Windows 7 share the same kernel. Windows 8 is a complete re-write and there have been many blogs on how Microsoft have deviated from their traditional route of trying to be completely compatible with all legacy software. I didn't realise that the Windows code base contains a load of hacks to allow specific pieces of legacy software to continue running but a lot of that has been scrapped in Windows 8. In fact we have been informed that an older version of our software has been explicitly stopped from running on Windows 8 by the Windows team because it is not compatible any more.
 Dan_S 26 Oct 2012
In reply to BrumSparky:
> 1Gig? For an operating system???
> Talk about bloatware.

Mac OSX 10.7 memory requirements are 2Gb,
http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/07/mac-os-x-10-7-lion-system-requirements/

Trying to run a modern linux distribution with a fully featured desktop environment e.g. KDE or GNOME will be massively unpleasant with anything less than 1Gb

http://thelinuxexperiment.com/tag/512mb/

Talk about Microsoft being comparable to other vendors....
 Swig 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall:

dwMinorVersion = 2

That's what MSDN says, I didn't actually boot into W8 and try it.
OP Only a hill 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Dan_S:
> (In reply to BrumSparky)
> [...]
>
> Mac OSX 10.7 memory requirements are 2Gb,
> http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/07/mac-os-x-10-7-lion-system-requirements/
>
> Trying to run a modern linux distribution with a fully featured desktop environment e.g. KDE or GNOME will be massively unpleasant with anything less than 1Gb
>
> http://thelinuxexperiment.com/tag/512mb/
>
> Talk about Microsoft being comparable to other vendors....

Indeed, and even most PHONE operating systems struggle with less than 512MB these days.
 Niels 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill: Was thinking about it, tried out the release preview but I think I'll stick to windows 7 for now. Don't get your hopes up about the app store though, I've heard loads of people have had problems getting their apps accepted.
 Kieran_John 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill:

I'll be upgrading one computer so I can have a play around with 8. I fix computers as a bit of a side line business so it'd do me good to get familiar with it.

In general though I'm not a fan of the interface, maybe it'll grow on me though.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill: Just installed it this morning.

Bar some ongoing issues with the soundcard drivers im pretty happy, actually really like the new interface which is somewhat surprising given all the ire over it.

Will be interesting to see how much use i get out of the metro apps, seems like theyre doubling up on exisiting functionality in a lot of cases but i guess the real test is n what I end up using more.
 EeeByGum 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Niels:
> I've heard loads of people have had problems getting their apps accepted.

Agreed, but it would seem that Microsoft aren't too fussed about doing U-turns given enough pressure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20092798

They have staked the family silver on Windows 8. They will not be as pedantic as Apple.
Jim C 26 Oct 2012
In reply to a lakeland climber:
>
> Ain't even got to Windows 7 yet (work PC).
>
> ALC

XP Home PC quite happy

when I eventually upgrade my PC , it will be a giant leap for me.

Jim C

In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to Niels)
> [...]
>

> They have staked the family silver on Windows 8. They will not be as pedantic as Apple.

The really boring and pedantic thing about Apple is that they just keep going on and on and on, without any dramas or tantrums, ever, and they're almost boringly user-friendly.
 Doug 27 Oct 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: unfortunately not always true - this MacBook is slowly dying - keyboard problems & unreliable wifi, both intermittent. I suspect the older machines were built to a higher quality as none of the others Macs I've used ever gave problems, even at >10 years old
OP Only a hill 27 Oct 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to EeeByGum)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> The really boring and pedantic thing about Apple is that they just keep going on and on and on, without any dramas or tantrums, ever, and they're almost boringly user-friendly.

Two years ago I would have agreed with you Gordon, but when I upgraded my Macbook to OS 10.7 it became *hugely* unstable. To be honest I don't think Macs are as reliable or solid as they used to be in the early 2000s, and I find Windows 8 much more user-friendly than the increasingly antiquated Mac user interface. The fact that even I have been converted from a lifelong Mac user to a Windows user speaks volumes I think...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...