UKC

Snow holing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 L Taylor 25 Oct 2012
Snow holing: any advice would be appreciated re taking my dog.
 UKH Forums 26 Oct 2012
This thread was started in the THE PUB forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Winter Climbing - From Scottish gullies to Rjukan ice falls, this is the forum to discuss everything involved with winter climbing. Conditions, what's in and what's not, avalanche risk, recommended routes plus accounts of your exploits.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
ccmm 26 Oct 2012
In reply to L Taylor:

Is your snowhole pre-dug (ha ha) or are you going to excavate one yourself? If you dig one yourself expect 4-5 hours to make a good one. What will the mutt be doing whilst you do this?

The dug'll need insulated off the snow so a mat and probably some sort of bivvy bag or a blanket. It doesn't get dowm much below freezing inside and you really shouldn't be there if the temps outside are rising upwards of 5-6 degrees.
 top cat 26 Oct 2012
In reply to L Taylor:

I used to dig my dog a small hole to shelter in whilst I worked on the main hole, then she transfered across (bad weather situation).

She did try to help dig at times, but not at all helpful: she just dug straight down. Couldn't train her to use a shovel

She always slept next to my head, and usually stuffed her cold nose into the top of my bag. She also had use of my down duvet jacket.

Dogs and snow holes are great together. Best part is the dig is usually squeaky clean having spent all day in the snow, as opposed to summer camping when they have been wallowing in peat bogs all day!
OP L Taylor 27 Oct 2012
In reply to L Taylor:
> Snow holing: any advice would be appreciated re taking my dog.

Thanks guys, I was not sure if it would have been suitable fof a dog.
Look forward to taking her with
 Chris Shorter 27 Oct 2012
In reply to L Taylor:
> Snow holing: any advice would be appreciated re taking my dog.

What type of dog do you have? Makes quite a difference!

Chris
 bigrob 27 Oct 2012
In reply to L Taylor:

snowholing uncomfortable nightmare!!

With a dog uncomfrotable nightmare with a dog!
OP L Taylor 28 Oct 2012
In reply to bigrob:
She is a first generation labradoodle -she loves the out doors and has done quite a few munros
 BigHairyIan 29 Oct 2012
my labradoodle hates snow. Even on his 30min morning walk sometimes too much snow gets stuck to his fir on his lower legs and between his paw pads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...