UKC

Cycling 150 miles in a day, AM I MAD?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climb the peak 27 Oct 2012
So, the plan is in about a weeks time to cycle from Barmouth in North Wales to Derby in the east midlands in one day. Probably taking about 12 hours. Just wondering if anyone had any experience cycling long distances such as this and if so, do you have any advice.
I cycle about twice a week on average.
 Blizzard 27 Oct 2012
In reply to climb the peak:

Depends on how old you are? You will be in agony the following day. If you are older than 40, you are a little mad. But who gives a S@@t what others think of you. Think of it as an achievement.Cycle over the Himalaya. Maybe.lol
In reply to Blizzard: I'm 18
 VS4b 27 Oct 2012
I hope the weather is kind to you, epecially th wind I've done a reasonable amount of long rides, longest was 140miles and the best advice I have is make sure your bike fit is bang on, get the best padded bibs you can afford and et plenty and often on your ride. As a guide I'd have porridge at breakfast then start eating after around 20 miles then every 15miles after that. Have fun!
Jamming Dodger 27 Oct 2012
In reply to climb the peak: Depends, twice a week at 20 miles a time or twice a week at 80 miles a time? Eitherway, youre facing some stonking hills in north wales and you'll be good for nothing the next day if your legs are out of tune but it'll be an adventure none the less. Dont overthink or youll talk yourself out of it.
In reply to climb the peak: Cycle about 30 miles twice a week.
How long did it take you to cycle 140 miles?
 andy 27 Oct 2012
In reply to climb the peak: So...

That's a big day, but nothing extraordinary. Set off, eat, drink, get there, have a beer.

Thousands of people (including, amazingly people over the age of 40) ride a lot further than that every weekend.

Enjoy.
Jamming Dodger 27 Oct 2012
In reply to andy: Indeed, some of our club's strongest riders are those of the older generation!
 Mooncat 27 Oct 2012

Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty, if you do get the knock, have a longer break than you think you need. Wear a good pair of shorts or even 2 pairs.
 Skip 27 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard:
> (In reply to climb the peak)
>
Cycle over the Himalaya. Maybe.lol

You may well laugh! 20 years i cycled with 3 others from Llasha to Katmandu,via Everest Base camp (North face).
 Blizzard 27 Oct 2012
In reply to Skip:

Thats pretty cool. I wish I could find someone to join me. Even at 45.

As for cycling 150 in a day at eighteen. I say go for it. You wont walk for a week afterwards tho.
 VS4b 27 Oct 2012
Bit less thn ten hours - we were pretty relaxed and chatted our way round. It'll be a bit harder alone but you should be fine. Make sure you know therout and avoid busy roads too.
 woolsack 27 Oct 2012
In reply to climb the peak: I have a 100m Reliability ride tomorrow morning with a 12 mile ride to the start. Luckily it's nice and warm at the moment
Food, food and a bit more food
 TobyA 27 Oct 2012
In reply to climb the peak: I did 190 kms on my own earlier this summer in an afternoon - (my computer tells me that's 118 miles). I guess I could have done another 50 kms, although I was glad I didn't have to.

I reckon if you're young, bike fit and have all day, you'll be alright. If anything is going to get you it will be getting a bad back or knee or something of that type. You could probably just aim for somewhere in the West Midlands where you can get a direct train to Derby!
In reply to climb the peak: I'm going to Barmouth on the train with some mates and taking my bike. There all taking the train back and I'm cycling back.
 JCurrie 27 Oct 2012
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=12880591
And some of the entrants will be over 40...
Jase
ruttingstag 27 Oct 2012
In reply to climb the peak: you are mad only in the eyes of the bone idle.
 Stanners 27 Oct 2012
In reply to climb the peak: Did 100 miles overnight a few months ago. That wasn't 'too' bad when considering how far one could push themselves before they die of agony. The cold will keep you moving YOu can avit go for it! What the mind can conceive and believe it can achieve.

When are you planning to do it? What's the longest distance you've done in a day before?

If you are intending to do it soon, then make sure you take lights and spare batteries so that you do not put yourself under pressure to finish before dark. Take enough clothing for the cold!

It would be better to do your first of this distance when there is more light, especially if you are not experienced at riding in the dark.

It would be a good idea to have done a ride of at least 80 miles before trying a ride of this distance but not absolutely essential. This will allow you to try everything out before the big one.

Try to get a good idea of what food works for you when you are riding; trying out unfamiliar stuff on the day can end in disaster (this goes for clothing and equipment too).

When on the ride, if your intention is purely to complete the distance, try to just enjoy the ride and don't get hung up on whether or not you are on schedule to do a targeted time - take time to take in the views, enjoy a cafe stop etc. You will probably enjoy the ride a lot more this way!

I hope you have fun (but you are also meant to suffer a little on these things ), you'll always remember your first ride of a distance like this. In all probability you'll have great highs and lows and get to the end swearing that you'll never do another, but after a couple of hours or days or weeks you'll be planning the next one.
 Escher 27 Oct 2012
In reply to climb the peak: I cycled 153 miles last Saturday http://app.strava.com/rides/25581508, I had done several 100 mile plus rides before and I think that helped! But then I'm not 18, as that helps too!

Take it steady, have some lights. Eat little and often and eat some proper food at some point too (some sarnies or cakes) as you'll feel better with a full stomach half way through. Drink lots too even if it is cold, 500 ml an hour is good. Wear decent shorts, use chamois cream and take a disposable poncho as an emergency if it pisses down (you can get them for a couple of quid in outdoor shops) and above all keep going and don't stop pedalling until you get there! You'll be fine.
 Jim Braid 28 Oct 2012
In reply to climb the peak: Ah, great to have the chance to tell a story of when I were a lad. Noticed that you are 18 and when I was probably a year or two younger than that (68 now) I went out on the bike for 12 hours with no planning beforehand. Wasn't doing any training though did go out for a run on the bike once or twice a week.

Set out from Dundee one Sunday morning, got out past Brechin (25 miles away) and decided to go over the Cairn o' Mount, along Deeside and back over the Devil's Elbow at Glen Shee. Two big hill passes and about 150 miles. No water bottle or food with me though I had cash and went in twice to a cafe. No fancy clothing or shoes. Toe clips and five speed gear as I recall.

Great memorable day. Don't remember feeling sore afterwards - but then it's over 50 years ago.

Does my heart good that you are thinking of something similar. Go for it, I'm sure you'll also have a day you can remember 50 years on.
 John Mcshea 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Jim Braid:

A perfect answer.

Jb.
 cousin nick 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Jim Braid:

Yep, I used to do much the same as a 19 year old student in 1982.
Mine was a 125mile route around Anglesey and Snowdonia. Carried a spare tube, puncture kit and a frame-fitting pump on a 10-speed Mercian. Bottle of water, Mars bar and a pound note.

Do it!

When you are 18, you ARE totally invincible!!!

N
Ian Black 28 Oct 2012
In reply to climb the peak: Don't listen to the ageist crew! We did the 3 British peaks, cycling between them in under 3 days and could have done it in less time. A lot depends on your background and what other endurance events you've done. BTW not one of us were under 45. Plenty of good carbs, and as others have suggested, eat before you're hungry.
paul_stjimmy 28 Oct 2012
Ah fair play man. I'm gulping at the thought of 50 mile rides but this is from a guy who hasn't rode a road bike before.
Talius Brute 28 Oct 2012

Pace yourself and eat / drink often and right from the start. Take some cash and some names of B&Bs so you can stop on the way if you have to, otherwise should be fine.
 henwardian 28 Oct 2012
In reply to climb the peak: Should be easy if you are young and fit.
When I was younger I spent a few months cycling touring in Canada and America. I never really pushed myself, just took it easy. A comfortable distance to pootle along on a road was about 70 to 80 miles a day and my longest day was a bit over 100 miles. I had a mountain bike with front suspension, fat but slick tyres and I was carrying panniers. I found that on a flatish road, I could average about 17 mph without really exerting myself.

If you are on a road bike and actually putting some effort in to go a long way, it should be pretty easy to average 20mph and get the whole thing finished in 9 hours including breaks I would have thought.
In reply to climb the peak: Alrighty, looks like it's going to happen then, just looked at the route again it's actually 132 miles.
 woolsack 28 Oct 2012
> (In reply to climb the peak) Alrighty, looks like it's going to happen then, just looked at the route again it's actually 132 miles.

You'll be fine. I'm an old git and I did 120 miles today so you young whippersnappers should blitz that sort of mileage
 andy 28 Oct 2012
In reply to henwardian:
> (In reply to climb the peak) ...it should be pretty easy to average 20mph and get the whole thing finished in 9 hours including breaks I would have thought.

Actually, it's not that easy. Most club A rides doing 70-100 miles with people taking it turns to ride on the front will maybe average 18mph. On your own doing 130-150m I think an average of 15mph will be good going. Still eminently doable, but don't get into average speed willy-waving - you'll get a "gold" standard in most lumpy sportives with 16mph average. The TdF winner usually averages about 23mph.
Talius Brute 28 Oct 2012
In reply to henwardian:

Realistically I would say averaging 15 mph on normal roads is what you should expect for any long journeys. Unless you are a pro or do long distances regularly. 20 mph is totally unrealistic.
 aquazepp 28 Oct 2012

You'll be fine, I did 120 miles round the Peak a couple of weeks ago with 10,000ft of ascent followed by 60 miles the next day... Just take it steady.
 henwardian 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Talius Brute: Ooohkaaayyy... Guess I must have been fitter than I thought back then then. I've not cycled much for years and that was the only trip where I actually took any real note of how fast and far I cycled, was something to do when the road was straight and lonesome
I wasn't really going up and down hills on the days that I averaged that high but I'd always assumed since then that somebody who was fit and going for it on an unladen racing bike would piddle all over my speed. I'll take you and Andys word for it that I am wrong!
 Brass Nipples 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard:
> (In reply to climb the peak)
>
> Depends on how old you are? You will be in agony the following day. If you are older than 40, you are a little mad. But who gives a S@@t what others think of you. Think of it as an achievement.Cycle over the Himalaya. Maybe.lol

Excuse me, I'm 46, last month I did 230 miles in 12 hours elapsed. Many retired "old men" did it similar or faster. I think you find that when it comes to endurance, the older the better. Youth has no stamina in comparison, and that not just when it comes to cycling.

Brass Nipples 28 Oct 2012

150 in a day is fine. Round the world record holder did around 200 miles per day for 90 days. Once you start riding distance you'll realise what you are capable of. 150 in a day is just the start. Clocks have changed though so make sure you have lights.
 colina 28 Oct 2012
go for it.nowt wrong with challenging yourself.god luck
 VS4b 29 Oct 2012
In reply to A Game of Chance:
Bloodyhell 230 miles in 12 hours, that's gotta be 20mph ave - chapeau!!
In reply to VS4b:
> (In reply to A Game of Chance)
> Bloodyhell 230 miles in 12 hours, that's gotta be 20mph ave - chapeau!!

If you think that's good - check out Tommy Godwin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Godwin_(cyclist_born_1912)
 malky_c 29 Oct 2012
In reply to climb the peak: You'll be fine (well maybe a bit sore afterwards, but no lasting effects). I did 105 miles around North Wales (from Anglesey down to Caernarfon, Porthmadog, Trawsfynydd, across the high mountain road to Llanuwchllyn, Bala, Betws y Coed then home) when I was about 15. No real preperation, and I'm not really a cyclist, just a bloke that cycles sometimes. It took me the whole day but it was good fun.
 VS4b 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness:
The 12 hour times at the same!
 Brass Nipples 29 Oct 2012
In reply to VS4b:
> (In reply to Lord of Starkness)
> The 12 hour times at the same!

Well I do take part competivily in the 12 hour road race championships. The winner manages over 300 miles these days. I think even in my 20's I only managed an extra 1/2 mile. So fitness and ability don't fall off a cliff like some have suggested. Certainly not in your 40's; where you have fitness, ability, and experience.

The point is that people get very dismissive of age on these forums, and posters should reconsider their opinions. Many things are achievable if you put you mind and body to it. What many consider mad is actually within the realm of perfectly normal if you are dedidcated enough.

In reply to VS4b:

But he was't riding a modern bike -- and it was also towards the end of his remarkable 76000 miles in a year. Incidentally he went on to complete 100,000 miles in 500 days. Both records stand to this day.

I'd be happy to be able to do 150 miles in 12 hours nowadays - so Chapeau to anyone who can do long rides at anywhere approaching 20mph.
 existing debt 29 Oct 2012

me and a pal cycled around devon this August, 241 miles in 17 hours. picked a day of torrential rain, the road between braunton and Bideford was completly flooded and most of it closed to cars...

had a cracking day though, strangely suffered no rub or anything, the next day we were fine just a bit done in.

all i kept thinking (as i do on long rides) is that my job for the day is to cycle all day....i love cycling so this made the task easy!

FYI im 37 and not really very fit.

next mission is to cycle from devon to Essex one day then the next do the essex sportive.

something that I do on long rides, is eat normal food, on the big devon ride, I think i had 2 or 3 gels and maybe 2 or 3 zipvit bars, an this was only to empty them from my pockets rather than feeling like i needed them. we stopped a couple of times for proper food (pasta/burgers etc)

Paul

In reply to A Game of Chance:
> (In reply to VS4b)
> [...]
>
> ... fitness and ability don't fall off a cliff like some have suggested. Certainly not in your 40's; where you have fitness, ability, and experience.
>
> The point is that people get very dismissive of age on these forums, and posters should reconsider their opinions. Many things are achievable if you put you mind and body to it. What many consider mad is actually within the realm of perfectly normal if you are dedidcated enough.

There are some very fast pensioners still competing in North Lancashire who ride 12's faster than I can ride 10's!
 paul walters 29 Oct 2012
In reply to climb the peak: shouldn't be too much of a problem. In 2008 I rode LEJOG, and after a couple of days on the road (no prior training) we were blagging out 90-92 miles per day. I was 41 then I think..... have to count it out on my fingers... hang on.....
altirando 29 Oct 2012
In reply to climb the peak: In my cycling days I lived in Birmingham and regularly rode the shorter distance back from Snowdonia. And we used to have a training ride from Brum to Ffestiniog. But I was used to knocking that off almost mechanically - legs used to a cadence. I have also ridden many 12 hour events and even one 24 hour - up to the 400 mark. You will need to maintain a high teen average to manage it in twelve hours. It will be going dark early. And if it rains it will be very wearing. Much more sensible in two days. What is the longest ride you have ever done?
jolivague 29 Oct 2012

Did London to Paris in 24 hours with a 256 mile route, arrived saturday night, woke up sunday with not a single ache or pain. Eat and drink plenty, enjoy the downhills and revel in the wonderful madness of it all.

Tommy Godwin.....legend!
alecvincent123 29 Oct 2012
I do alot of cycling and have done for a couple of years now. the first 150 mile ride i did was hard i have to admit, but i have done several now!
My advice would be to take you avaerage pace down a couple of mph. as there is a big diffrence between 100miles and 150!
Only other advice is to take on lots and lots of carbs and sugar before and throughout the ride!

Good luck!
 Brass Nipples 29 Oct 2012

You'll have a great time. Commute home was in the dark tonight and loved it. Always loved cycling through the winter months. Especially those crisp cold days when you can see you breath. Then you come out of winter, and up the training even more for the 600 km and 1000+ km events. Love it.
 Baron Weasel 31 Oct 2012
In reply to climb the peak: You'll be fine! Me an a mate did a similar ride this summer and you can read the write up here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12878059&p=...

The Baron
 atlantis 02 Nov 2012

cycled the west highland way in Jockland some years ago with a boyfriend who was a very pro mountain biker and grew up in Loch Lomond, I have to say. 50 miles on day one, and 30-40 a day there after on average, in the pouring rain, didn't bother me after day one of that, got used to it, and pannier bags and camping gear on the back of the bikes, light weight gear and only essentials of course. We cheated and stayed at a B&B over camping for just one night to dry off most of our gear, but the rest of it was camping.

130 miles at least in 5 days we did. It rained daily, I had a gggrrreat time.

Just make sure you're fit, mad has nothing to do with it.
In reply to climb the peak: Did it. 132 miles in 11 hours. I don't think I've ever been so tired in my life and never want to see another bike again (well maybe for about a week). The views were absolutely amazing and I'm sure I'll remember it for the rest of my life. The last 20 miles or so in the dark were horrible and I really just felt like curling up into a ball and going to sleep in a nearby hedge. I'm so happy to have done it though, having never cycled more than about 40 miles in a day.
 Escher 02 Nov 2012
In reply to climb the peak: Brilliant! Nice one! The trouble with doing things like that is you feel so invigorated afterwards and you soon forget the pain, that you want to take on an even bigger challenge the next time. It can seriously escalate until sleeping in a hedge might become a necessary part of what you do!

Well done!

ALC
 Guy 02 Nov 2012
In reply to climb the peak: Really good effort! I know the feeling, grinding it out is horrible yet very satisfying afterwards. It also gives you a perspective on the pros who do that day in day out at 24mph+ typically. People who have never ridden that far really don't know the pain you go through on your first big rides, contact points, shoulders, mind! Legs are usually the least of your worries
 Andrew Smith 02 Nov 2012
In reply to climb the peak: Good effort, well done.
In reply to Guy: I know what you mean, I was expecting my legs to hurt more. It was more my arms and my back that hurt.
 Jim Braid 02 Nov 2012
In reply to climb the peak: Congratulations.

Jim
 TobyA 02 Nov 2012
In reply to climb the peak: Good effort!

When I did my big ride earlier this summer I used endomondo on my phone to GPS track it, but I hadn't realised that your endomondo contacts can see that you're doing something - I think it comes up on facebook. Anyway, I was so chuffed getting home after 190 kms, so I put some happy/smug message on facebook after collapsing on to sofa, and my mate - a former pro-cyclist - very quickly posted back saying "well done! Next time do it without two hours of stops!" B**tard.

Did you get any aches or pains? Knees, back etc? or are you too young for that?
In reply to TobyA: Yes lots of aches, especially in my elbows and back.
 VS4b 02 Nov 2012
Well done, great effort especially this time of year

Elbows and back pain sounds like your bike is a little long for you.

One method suggests that with your elbow against the front of the saddle your middle finger should just reach the back of the handlebar. However it's not an exact science and another "method" reckons the angle of your back should be 45degs when your hands are on the top of the hoods. If it's a major problem then get a professional bike fitting.

ALC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...