UKC

Frustrations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 28 Oct 2012
Just wondered if you get as frustrated as me, when it comes to finding climbing partners who can fit around your plans, objectives, or want to share them.

I have bascially given up climbing because its simply too hard to find people to get out with.
 alx 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard: see if there are any climbing clubs in your area.
 Skip 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard:

Where do you live?
 The Pylon King 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard:

buy a shunt!
OP Blizzard 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Skip:

I live in the Midlands. My experience with climbing clubs has not been positive. They are so clickey. Not only that I never share objectives, timings. Its sad that I've given up, but it seems my only realistci option.
 Skip 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard:
> (In reply to Skip)
>
> I live in the Midlands.>

Can't help. I'm in Cornwall.

kwoods 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard: My climbing partner works overseas for 8 months of the year otherwise it always seems to be a mash-up of random partners - so I get where you're coming from. But a shunt, or go bouldering. If you hate both, hard lines.
 kwoods 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard: buy*
 Šljiva 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard: How about the lifts and partners forum on here? Be honest about what you can offer/what you want and I don't think you'll have trouble finding people.
 AlanLittle 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard:

Yeah, can be difficult I agree. After I left university (a long, long time ago) it took a couple of attempts and a few years until I found a club with a decent number of folks with similar interests & motivation (this being the Karabiner Mountaineering Club in Manchester in the 90s)

Then for various family & personal reasons I gave up climbing for a while and emigrated. Started again in Germany a couple of years back, and again it was quite a long job finding regular partners at a reasonably similar level and with reasonably similar interests. It may sound old fashioned but again it was a club that worked for me, in the form of a local DAV group. I also had one or two successes with random partners from internet forums, and have been to the wall a few times with colleagues, but both of these would be much too frustratingly sporadic as a source of regular partners.

It's just another aspect of climbing that you have to persist and work at.
 kevin stephens 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard:

Bouldering walls can often be a great way of getting to know climbers, chatting as you take turns to try a problem

deacondeacon 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard:
Sounds like you're looking for an excuse to throw in the towel.
I find lifts and partners on here are great, I moved to a new area last year and now have loads of people who I can climb with, If it's dry enough to climb there'll always be someone who's free,
It's probably never been this easy to find climbing partners.
There's a website called 'climbfind' which has also been successful for me, and most climbing walls do one night a week where people on their own can meet up with new partners. You could even just walk along a popular crag looking out for people climbing in a three and make conversation.
I also find that it's really helped my climbing getting out with lots of different people, admittedly the first couple of times climbing with people you don't know is a little nerve racking but it gets easier.
If you're ever keen to get out on the grit drop me an email.
 Tom Last 28 Oct 2012
In reply to deacondeacon:

Speaking of which Deacon, did you get my reply?

To the OP.

I too have found clubs can be clickey in the past. However I met the guys from Banbury MC randomly in the Costa Blanca the other week. They were more than happy for me to climb with them and seemed a nice bunch of people - certainly anything but clickey. Might be good for your neck of the woods?

The problem I find is that I've had a few regular climbing partners who you naturally become very good friends with and since for one reason or another my interest has continued whilst their's has fizzled out I'm left feeling a bit lost. It's not that they no longer wish to be friends, just that you naturally experience some pretty intense and exhilarating times with them, which are then a bit hard to follow with pub dinners etc when subsequently they lose their interest in climbing. Just the way it goes.

You can always go bouldering or soloing though, that's what I do, or hold out for the next partner who will come along eventually.
 kwoods 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard: Didn't want to be the first to say but it sounds like you are looking for a reason to throw it in! Im(humble)o, if you really want to keep climbing you're going to find a way to do it.
 deacondeacon 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Southern Man: Yes mate I got it, sorry for the lack of reply. Looking forward to it.
 JuneBob 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard:
Facebook groups. What started as about 5 members from the local climbing wall has expanded to about 45 people. Great way to turn those casual meetings at the indoor wall into outdoor climbing buddies. Post in the group and there's always someone who wants to climb.
(And, now ski season has started, it serves as a means to find people to ski with)
 Tom Last 28 Oct 2012
In reply to deacondeacon:

Cool mate, no worries. See you then! (sorry for hijack OP)
 SecretSquirrel 28 Oct 2012
There are lots of easy ways to meet new people to climb with (forums, clubs etc) but if you're not a naturally extroverted person it can still feel quite hard work. Whatever the reason, its definitely frustrating to feel like you're struggling to find partners.
OP Blizzard 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Southern Man:

Hey guys you dont know what its like to turn into a middle aged bloke do you. I dont have the drive I used to have. These days I enjoy my beer too much and the climbing just isnt as enjoyable as it once was. Besides I like long mountain days and camping over. I struggle to find people who want to camp. Its like theyve always gotta get back to their bird. I find it pathetic. lol
 Tom Last 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard:

To be fair to you, you didn't ask for suggestions I guess - fair play if you want to just vent your frustration.

On the other hand, if this is a cry for help suggest you give a club another try, or maybe post in Lifts and Partners on here as suggested.

All my best climbing experiences over the last couple of years have been through internet hook-ups and I've made some good friendships too. Be specific in your posts as to the sort of climbing you want to do and you'll find the sort of partners you're after I reckon.

Either way, good luck!
 jimjimjim 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard:
> Just wondered if you get as frustrated as me, when it comes to finding climbing partners who can fit around your plans, objectives, or want to share them.
>
> I have bascially given up climbing because its simply too hard to find people to get out with.
No. Got a good group of us out climbing whenever we can. Maybe people avoid you?
Just a thought...
 Bulls Crack 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard:
> Just wondered if you get as frustrated as me, when it comes to finding climbing partners who can fit around your plans, objectives, or want to share them.
>
> I have bascially given up climbing because its simply too hard to find people to get out with.

Hmmmm

Care to read it back to yourself?!
 bpmclimb 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard:
>

Sounds like a bit of an extreme measure! Perhaps your plans and objectives are too rigid. There's thousands of potential partners out there for climbers who are willing to be a bit flexible, and good days out come in all shapes and sizes

Mike_Gannon 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Blizzard: I feel your pain. I climbed / bouldered indoors without finding a partner for two years. But then I realised what does someone with no car no rope and no gear have to offer an experienced climber? JACK S@@T.

I sat down with a couple of people I climbed with and we set about getting ourselves outside. We agreed what each of us bought to the group. One guy bought a rope, the other a basic rack other a car (which he already had) and a couple of guide books.

Once you have something to offer other climbers they'll creep out of the wood work and you'll be out every weekend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...