UKC

Down sleeping bags if you are allergic to down

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BoulderyDave 28 Oct 2012
Hi - I am trying to choose a sleeping bag to replace my rather feeble synthetic 'Blacks' sleeping bag. The bag will be used for summer Alpine (huts and occasional tent at higher altitudes) and camping during the spring and autumn in the UK. It will also be used for a trip to south America which will see temps of ~0C, during which I will be camping for 7 days straight.

I am quite badly allergic to feather pillows etc and was wondering if anyone out there is using down sleeping bags and suffers from this allergy? If so, how have you been getting on and what bag would you recommend?

Otherwise, which synthetic bags pack down light but will be able to cope with the temperatures mentioned above?

Thanks in advance
 LucaC 28 Oct 2012
In reply to BoulderyDave: I get terrible itching from cheap down filled pillows, but I have two rab bags and a down jacket and have never had any problems with them. I think it's down to the quality and treatment of the fill. I would say try some out, I find the reaction is really quick to come on so you should be able to find out in the shop if a bag is going to effect you.
OP BoulderyDave 28 Oct 2012
In reply to LJC: thanks, I was hoping that was the case. I will go in and spend some time hugging one. I was thinking of a rab bag, so will start there.
 tom84 28 Oct 2012
In reply to BoulderyDave: its generally not the down or feather people are allergic to, rather small particles of dandruff etc leftover/ not cleaned during production. pillow/duvet fill is generally cheaper and not as stringently cleaned as top end down jackets or sleeping bags are. also there is much less opportunity for fill etc to escape because of the tight weave of fabrics used in jackets/bags compared to the quite open weave cotton fabric used in pillows and the like. hope that makes sense!
OP BoulderyDave 28 Oct 2012
In reply to mountassguard: It does, thanks for that.

In practical experience it is the very fine white powder that leaks out of pillows etc that causes the issue. Unfortunately I have always had allergic asthma and this is one of the few remaining triggers I have carried through to adulthood(or almost middle aged
 Doug 28 Oct 2012
In reply to BoulderyDave: I'm also allergic to down in tests but have no problem with good quality down filled sleeping bags or jackets (eg Rab, Mountain Equipment)
 Dave B 28 Oct 2012
In reply to BoulderyDave:

Ditto problem with pillows. No problem with either down sleeping bag of jackets.

Indy 28 Oct 2012
In reply to mountassguard:
> (In reply to BoulderyDave) its generally not the down or feather people are allergic to, rather small > particles of dandruff
Well there you go never knew that Geese got dandruff.
 tom84 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Indy: haha maybe should have just said 'skin'
 chers 29 Oct 2012
In reply to BoulderyDave: Buy synthetic...no animal cruelty involved. I've got a lovely synthetic Marmot
 tom84 09 Nov 2012
In reply to chers:

true- live plucking is an issue regarding the fill of -sleeping bags and down jackets- patagonia and north face got hammered for this last year. check out mountain equipment if you want a really ethical approach to down procurement, i was speaking to some of the guys at mountain equipment and they were really excited by the steps taken to ensure they know and are happy with the sourcing of the down and that it is a by-product rather than live plucked.

i would rather have a warmer, lighter, more compressible down bag that is ethical than a synthetic bag that is the product of the oil industry
 jwa 09 Nov 2012
In reply to mountassguard:
> (In reply to chers)
>
> i would rather have a warmer, lighter, more compressible down bag that is ethical than a synthetic bag that is the product of the oil industry

But what about that oil derived wrapping for your ethical down?

tom84 09 Nov 2012
In reply to jwa:

i only go for the bestest lightest oil for my wrapping so theres not that much. also my oil is peta approved

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...