UKC

Inov-8s or Walshes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Last 28 Oct 2012
Hello.

Has anyone used both Inov-8s (specifically Flyroc 310s) and Walshes (Spirit Lites) who can tell me how the fit compares?

The Flyrocs fit me very well and both my pairs have lasted well, but they're a good deal pricier than the Walshes and whilst great on grass they're quite scary on steep mud - which is bad for me.

I mostly run on the coast path (so basically mostly steep mud in the winter) and southwest moors and might try a negligable amount of fell running this year.

So does anyone know how the Walshes are on mud, the tread looks more agressive certainly? Also are they a significantly narrower fit than Inov-8s? I don't have particularly narrow feet, but have got on with Sportivas for boots and approach shoes in the past.

I know I should try some Walshes on but nobody stocks them down here.

Thanks for any advice.
Tom
 Steve John B 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Southern Man: You could try Mudrocs or Mudclaws. I've got Mudclaws and they're great on mud.

Inov8s fit me fine, Walshes are (for me) a truly awful fit.
OP Tom Last 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Steve John B:

Hi Steve.

Good call, thanks for that - still a bit pricey mind. I'll maybe just have to bit the bullet.
 DaveHK 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Southern Man:

Can't speak for Walshes but Inov8s are not long lasting in my experience.
 Robert Durran 28 Oct 2012

It is worth bearing in mind that walshes, unlike their upstart rivals (I believe) can be resoled, making them much more economic. Get the Extreme ones with the tough uppers. If used mostly on grassy terrain they should take a couple of resoles, maybe only once if used a lot on scree and rock.
OP Tom Last 28 Oct 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

I thought mine did okay at a year for each pair, but then I'm not doing much milage, maybe 10-20k per week, I've upped this a bit recently though.
OP Tom Last 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:

Okay Robert thanks that's helpful to know - economy is definitely a major factor for me.
 The New NickB 28 Oct 2012

The problem you have is that you are asking trail shoes to deal with what sound like conditions they are not suited to.

Regardless of whether you opt for Walsh or Inov8, I would get trail shoes and fell shoes.
OP Tom Last 28 Oct 2012
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to Southern Man)
>

>
> Regardless of whether you opt for Walsh or Inov8, I would get trail shoes and fell shoes.

Hi Nick.

Sorry, do you mean get fell shoes over trail shoes?

I've steered clear of fell shoes until now due to lack of rock etc,thought it might be overkill. However the ridiculous steep mud does seem to confound the trail shoes that I've had up to now.
OP Tom Last 28 Oct 2012
> (In reply to The New NickB)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> Hi Nick...
>

By which I mean, the terrain that I run on 90% of the time is consistently muddy and very often steep. Normal trails (bridleways etc) make up the lesser part of my local runs.

I can't afford two pairs, but would fell shoes (e.g. the Walsh extremes Robert mentioned above) be the most suitable for this terrain do you think?

Thanks, appreciate all the advice guys.

I mean get both. You seem happy with your existing trail shoes, but I get the impression that you think they are up to muddy winter conditions, so get something designed for that job. It isn't twice the expense.

There should be a "don't" in there somewhere.
OP Tom Last 28 Oct 2012

Cool thanks Nick I see what you mean, I think!

Unfortunately the trail shoes have absolutely had it. Two holes on the mesh are about to merge and they'll turn into peeptoe running shoes after that! So whatever shoes I choose, they'll be my only ones for now.

Lots of food for thought.
Cheers all!
 salad fingers 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Southern Man: Have you thought about a compromise shoe? Something like the Mudroc is pretty capable on trails and fell.
 Wonrek 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Southern Man: Just to thow another thought into the mix, Salomon Speedcross 3? Popular choice on the trail scene and I can personally recommend them as superb on the north and south Cornish coast paths in rain or shine and I have lots of miles in both directions

Just another thought.

If you want to try trail shoes on I'd recommend the beach shop over in Watergate Bay, proper eye candy for muddy runners!!

Cx
 Liam M 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Southern Man: I use Walshes as fell racing shoes, and have always found Inov8s feel fairly wide on my (rather narrow) feet.

I'm trying to understand the terrain you're using them on. Is it very deep (e.g. frequently above the ankle) or more surface mud on a fairly hard pack? I find my Walshes good on the former (though not quite as good as my Swoops, though they're awful when it gets slightly rocky), but I expect with the latter Walshes may be overkill and may trash your feet if used all the time.

If you fit Inov8s I'd be inclined to look at something like the Roclite or previously mentioned Mudroc that has a slightly more aggressive sole than the Flyroc, but not as far the other way as Walshes.
OP Tom Last 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Liam M & Flipper:

Cheers guys, yeah two more recommendations for the Mudrocs then.

Liam. Yeah not really deep mud, I'd say surface mud on hard pack, frequently on steep ascents and descents. In the Flyrocs it's a bit like suddenly hitting a patch of water ice without crampons, ie straight on my arse or in the hedge! So maybe yeah maybe Walshes are overkill on this.

Cheers guys.
OP Tom Last 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Wonrek:
> (In reply to Southern Man) Just to thow another thought into the mix, Salomon Speedcross 3? Popular choice on the trail scene and I can personally recommend them as superb on the north and south Cornish coast paths in rain or shine and I have lots of miles in both directions
>
> Just another thought.
>
> If you want to try trail shoes on I'd recommend the beach shop over in Watergate Bay, proper eye candy for muddy runners!!
>
> Cx

Excellent, thanks for that. Didn't know there was a running shop over there. I should be over Newquay soon, so I'll take a look, cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...