UKC

Anyone made their own holds?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elrond 29 Oct 2012
Has anyone tried actually shaping foam holds, making a mould from those and then casting their own holds from resin? Seems like an interesting thing to do.
 DaveHK 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:

Plenty of info on the web on this. More hassle than it's worth IMHO.
 Fraser 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:

Thought about it, but ended up making a batch of wooden ones; therapeutic and more finger-friendly. I've used some home-made ones elsewhere, and they weren't that great. I suspect it would involve a fair bit of trial & error to get the mixture spot on.
In reply to Hazelnuts: I made some moulds out of wood then cast them in plaster and used resin mixed with sand to make the holds, they seemed to work ok and i used them for several years.
 jwa 29 Oct 2012
A friend of mine has picked up rocks, drilled holes in the middle and stuck them on the wall in his cellar.
 Bulls Crack 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:

Only with a chisel
OP Elrond 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Fraser:

I've made some wooden ones as well and they seem to be alright.

Another question: would it be more cost-effective to buy holds or to make them?
 Russell Lovett 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts: why bother making holds. On my home wall in the garage I have holds I bought and pieces of rock I pick up at diffrent crags from all over Europe that I have climbed on, just make sure they are flat or will lay flat without wobbleing on one side drill a hole through them an haypresto free holeds. When I put them on the wall I also write in perminant marker which crag the rock was from either above or below the rock. Now when ever I use my wall I get to remember all the places iv been. Works as good as any holds iv bought.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...