UKC

Fitting new brakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 30 Oct 2012
As I mentioned on another thread, I have some new bike brakes as I'm trying to fit them. I have several questions as I'm not very good with technical stuff, but I'm slowly learning - cables are pretty much the last thing for me to get my head around!

Well first of all the cables are actually only a couple of weeks old as I just had them replaced, so I assume they're good to use and I don't need new ones. I had a look and took off the old brakes, but the cap on the wire stops me removing the barrel adjustery bit. So I have two questions - both of which might seem like stupid questions!

1. How do I remove the existing cable cap. There's a bit of wire spare so do I just cut it above the cap?
2. How do I fit a new cable cap? I guess I can buy a couple on ebay and just squeeze them with pliers to hold them on?
 Escher 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Richard Carter: You might be able to reuse what you have, they are only crimped on witha pair or pliers or wire cutters. Try pulling them off with pliers and once you have recalled the new breaks try putting the cable ends on again, if they go on far enough just crimp then again with wire cutters or the wire cutting part of the pliers.

Even if you want to put new ones on you should still just pull of the old ones, no need to cut the cable.
 Escher 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Escher: Brakes not breaks, sheesh!
Cheers I shall commence mechanical fixationing this evening!
 Escher 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Richard Carter: And it was 'recabled' damn you IPad autocorrect! Good luck!
 Rollo 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Richard Carter:

ONly problem is sometimes when you cut cables the ends fray/splay in such a way the re-threading them is mighty difficult. You might get away with it though!
 LastBoyScout 30 Oct 2012

Can usually release them by gently squeezing them with pliers at right-angles to how they were originally crimped - you may be able to use them again, otherwise get a few new ones from local bike shop.

This should keep you going: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23409
 Phil79 30 Oct 2012

Pull off the cable cap (ferrule) with a pair of pliers, needle nose if you have them. You can sometimes reuse them if they are not too mangled, but if not can be purchased cheaply from ebay or (free?) for your LBS. Crimp the new one on with pliers or cable cutter.

Cable are fine to reuse. Give them a wipe and degrease if dirty, I usually run a bit of lube along new cables, but apparently with plastic lined cables you don't even/not recommended to do this.

As always, Sheldon has the answers:
http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html
 JLS 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Rollo:

Yeah, good sharp wire cutters are worth their weight in gold.
johnj 30 Oct 2012

if you're going to use you existing cables, its very easy for them to unravel and fray as they have been cut to length, to prevent this happening before pulling of the end cable crimp, coat the inner wire in superglue, then it will stay in one piece and not lots of individual wires.
 Rollo 30 Oct 2012
In reply to johnj:
> (In reply to Richard Carter)
>
> if you're going to use you existing cables, its very easy for them to unravel and fray as they have been cut to length, to prevent this happening before pulling of the end cable crimp, coat the inner wire in superglue, then it will stay in one piece and not lots of individual wires.

Genius!

johnj 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Rollo:

Cheers, I'm glad I could share the tip, i forgot who told me this one but it's saved a lot of cables.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...