UKC

Winter Skills Courses for beginners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rich pyne 30 Oct 2012
Hi everybody,

I'm not sure if I put this on the right post or not, but as I have my Winter Mountain Leader Assessment booked for Feb,I am looking gain some "log book days", by running some mock Winter Skills Courses.

What I am looking for is people that would like to venture into the winter hills, but have had no formal training. Ideally these people should have a summer hill walking background, and as I dont have any spare kit to dish out, they must also bring their own walking axe,crampons and helmet.
It will be run as a full on Course, but without any cost to the student.

I am based in the Lake District, so access to the hills is no issue.The only thing I ask is that you must be able to fit in around my days off from work, which is usually weekdays, though it does vary.I will be in Scotland for the last two weeks of Jan if any one North of the Border is interested.

If you are interested , please email me with your ideas and I'll get back to you, so we can talk about where, when and how.

All the best,
Rich

Belayathon 31 Oct 2012
In reply to rich pyne:
Hi rich
I live in Whitehaven and have a reasonable employer for the occasional day off from work. I have been hillwalking for the last couple if years and was hoping to start some decent scrambling this year but with the weather havent had much chance!
I have some stiff crampon compatible boots and all the required kit for winter walking other than axe and crampons, however have been keen to buy some, just been concerned about using them without any "mock" instruction!
It would be great to get out and experience winter.. I can also bring pies!!

I have also been putting together a climbing rack for next summer and planning on visiting the Dolomites hopefully for some via ferrata and glacier walks. So the experience would be great.

I also have a car and don't mind travelling north if required?
rich pyne 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Belayathon:

Hi there, thank you for the interest.
we can easily meet up in the Lakes, I only travel from Kendal.

All I need really is to get my Teaching skills to be slick, and I've had plenty of experience with different axes/crampons/boots. It will be run as a Full course, so we can get all you need covered.

please email me and we'll discuss this further, I don't want any Hecklers getting in on the conversation, coz it does tend to go that way on this forum I have found.

the snow seems to be on its way....

Speak soon,
Cheers,
rich
 halfwaythere 01 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne:
I am also interested. Out of country til 26-11-12. Please let me know when you are doing these courses.Pete
 Puppythedog 01 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne: I'd be interested but only able to do weekends. I would happily join in if that suits at some point. Lake District is better for me).
 neuromancer 01 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne:

I'd be very interested; not done before, able to get hold of bits and bobs, and reasonably free. A long few days together would be better for me than it being split up, but ofc depends on you.
 neuromancer 01 Nov 2012
In reply to neuromancer:

BTW; to get hold of me, email joebusby@gmail.com and I'll be back to you within a few minutes.
 1906johns 01 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne: hello mate i'd love to get involved and help you with this as well as learning some winter skills as i have a solid summer walking/climbing background. I have all the kit required and can get to the lakes (or scotland) with no problems, i also have a car if i can be of use that way. Time wise i can do whenever as i have just been made redundant !

Alex
 SAF 01 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne: Hi Rich, I live in North Wales, but would be keen to see a bit more of the Lakes particularly in winter. I work shifts, so have a lot of my days off Mid week.

Sarah

thesarahfinney@hotmail.com
 Grey area 01 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne:

Hi Rich I'd be up for this if you could let me know when - that said I haven't got an issue with taking up some of your time in Scotland in Jan if that would suit you better.

Mike
 brianpasco 01 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne: Hi Rich, I would be very interested in your offer, I can make mid week or weekends in either the Lakes or Scotland, just need a bit of notice to sort time off work thats all.
rich pyne 01 Nov 2012
In reply to brianpasco: And a reply to everyone else that have made enquiries...

WOW, I'm overwhelmed with the interest. Thank you all very much.

I was speaking to George McEwan t'other day and said it was a great idea to get these "soft skills" going, and that I had a novel way of accumulating experience by using this forum, but I am ultimately having to concerntrate on Mountaineering for my trip to Scotland, so I think now that nearly all of these days will be in The Lakes, weather dependant of course
It's started to snow a little now here, so I will contact people very soon. I apologise if it takes a couple of days, I wont ignore any one.

Bear with me, and I'll get back to you...

Thanks again,

Rich
In reply to rich pyne: I'm based in Northumberland and could easily get the train across. I've got axes, crampons etc. and would happily join you if you were up for it.
In reply to rich pyne: I'm also up for some harder climbs if fancy taking me under your wing?
 maxsmith 01 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne: hello Rich, I have also sent you an e-mail!
rich pyne 02 Nov 2012
In reply to halfwaythere:

Hi Pete,
Hopefully the conditions in the Lakes will be more suitable in December, so they are most likely to run from december. Will keep you posted...

Rich
rich pyne 02 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne:

Bear with me guys, I think I'm going to need to organise some help for me,
There is loads of you.
I will get all your emails together, and I will send out a general message about where and when I will be, and we'll take it from there. I will try my best to get as much notice together as possible.

Here's to a great Winter... CHEERS!

Rich
rich pyne 02 Nov 2012
In reply to halfwaythere: Hi Pete,

Can you email my personal account so I can get everyone on a general message?

I don't want to leave anyone behind.

Cheers,

Rich
rich pyne 02 Nov 2012
In reply to puppythedog: Hiya,
Send me an email so I can get you on the list, I don't want to leave anyone behind.
Cheers,
rich
rich pyne 02 Nov 2012
In reply to 1906johns: Alex,
Send me an email so I can get you on the list, I don't want to miss anyone out. Good luck with the job hunting..
Cheers,
Rich
rich pyne 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Grey area: Hi Mike,
Please email me so I can get you on the list, I don't want to miss anyone out.
Cheers,
Rich
rich pyne 02 Nov 2012
In reply to brianpasco: Brian,
Can you email my personal account so I can get you on the list, I don't want to leave anyone behind.
Cheers,
Rich
rich pyne 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Stamford Raffles: I'd love to climb, but I don't know if I will have a huge amount of time left for that this winter, I may be tempted to snatch one though

can you email my personal account so I can get you on the list.

Cheers,
Rich

JanBella 02 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne: Hi Rich I live in grasmere and done some winter walking/climbing i'm always happy to help out and learn bit more. give me a shout if you up on the hills any time this winter.
 Puppythedog 02 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne: I've sent an e-mail to the address linked to your profile name.
rich pyne 02 Nov 2012
In reply to puppythedog: Cheers James , I got that

rich
rich pyne 02 Nov 2012
In reply to JanBella: Hi Jan,

Are you Winter ML? Or just want to come along for the jolly? I don't mind either way.
I,ve had quite a large volume of enquiries, so you might be useful in any way, shape or form.
Email my personal account with what you would like out of it, and we'll see if it can be accommodated...

All the best,

Rich
rich pyne 02 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne: Hello everybody...

I would like to thank everybody for their genuine interest in my requests.

I have around 30 people interested now, so I think it is just about maxed out.Keep on asking for now,as I know a few others that may want to take you on board. If you allow, I could pass on your request, and they will be in touch, but no promises.

I will try my utmost to get as many of you involved as possible, but I cant gaurantee it now, unless I can get more Winter ML trained people willing to take some of you guys on to help share the wealth of knowledge and experience that could be gained by everyone involved. You never know, we might even meet some new friends...

Thanks again people

Rich

rich pyne 06 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne: Hi Guys.

I've put out an email to everyone that has sent me their personal Address, so please check it and let me know if I missed anything.

Also, anyone that has been in contact about it but hasn't emailed me, please do so in the next day or two so I can send you the same info, if you are sill interested.

See you all soon (hopefully),

Rich

rich pyne 06 Nov 2012
In reply to 1906johns: Alex,

I can't find your email address so i can send you what I told everyone else. Please email me and I'll tag you in if you're still interested.

Cheers,
Rich
munro277 06 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne: hi its "peter from barrow" me and my mate shud be good to go anytime as long as im not on shift and he can leave his garage but have lots of time off through most wks weve got gear but not helemts not sure if thats a problem ...peter dixon and chris ritchie peterdixon277@hotmail.com
rich pyne 06 Nov 2012
In reply to munro277:

Hello "peter from Barrow".

I've sent you an email with all the relevent stuff...It's self explanitary.

Best Wishes,

Rich
rich pyne 09 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne:

Hi folks,
I,ve sent out a general email to everyone that has shown interest, but it got a bit messy at my end (I'm not very computer literate).
So, if you haven't received the email from me, please let me know and I'll tag you in.

Rich
jimsing 09 Nov 2012
This sounds great to me. Will email you. Nice one Rich, good effort.

Jim
 Parmo 09 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne:
Hi Rich, been away from forum all week, so just found your thread. Will send you email as very interested if not too late, ta.
rich pyne 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Parmo: Check your email Rob, you are in... the email I sent you should make sense...welcome aboard

Rich
StanRIDE 12 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne: Hi Rich, I spoke to you up in Ambleside on Sunday. I'm really interested in this and I work for myself so i will be able to arrange days off in the week. I have all my own equipment and vehicle. I've done abit of winter walking last year and have basic navigation skills but all self taught and in real need of some help and guidance. More details on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jay Standish
rich pyne 12 Nov 2012
In reply to StanRIDE: Hi Jay.

Can you send me an email to my personal account then I can get you on the list...
I'm heading out of the door now so it may be a day or two before I get back to you.

Thanks again Jay,

speak soon,
Rich
In reply to rich pyne:
I'm on the 2014 assessment trail and would be keen to get involved, supporting delivery. Winter is my busiest time of year, so need to plan well in advance, March will be better for me but Jan/ Feb possible. I have a couple of long weekends planned in December to find my winter legs and dust off nav skills...
Drop me a line if interested?
rich pyne 13 Nov 2012
In reply to fairweatherclimber: hiya,

check your email, it should tell you what I need from you.

Best wishes,

Rich
rich pyne 14 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne:
Hi Folks,
I think it is not possible to take any more people on board now. There is now a total of about 50 , and it's become a collosal job.

Please do not send anymore requests.

Maybe someone else might give it a shot next time, who knows.

Thank you.

Rich Pyne
 scottie390 20 Nov 2012
In reply to rich pyne:

Looks like you have your work cut out for you Rich! hope you dont mind the post Hi Jack, but if anyone is still looking for winter skills courses, based in the Lochaber/Ben Nevis area, feel free to contact me!

All the best Rich and good luck on assessment!
rich pyne 20 Nov 2012
In reply to scottie390: The Admin was /is the hardest bit, but it's all come together now Scott...

Just need snow here then I'm off. From the middle of Jan onwards I'll be up that way for a couple of weeks, so we might bump into each other, have to keep the eyes peeled. it might be worth rattling off some ideas between us then once something has come about. I'll keep you in mind if you want?

have you done the Assessment or waiting for it to come?
 NottsRich 20 Nov 2012
In reply to scottie390: yhm
In reply to rich pyne:
I've changed the email address linked to my UKC account so not heard from you. Please mail me at mapsinclair@gmail.com and perhaps I can help out and get a useful experience myself.
Cheers
rich pyne 20 Nov 2012
In reply to fair.weatherclimber: hiya. i have previously sent 2 or 3 messages to ur link on this. when i get on a proper computer tomorrow i'll try again. rich
rich pyne 10 Dec 2012
In reply to rich pyne:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm not sure if I put this on the right post or not, but as I have my Winter Mountain Leader Assessment booked for Feb,I am looking gain some "log book days", by running some mock Winter Skills Courses.

If you are interested to see how it has developed, please have a look on facebook, my kids are known as " rich winter group " ... Lots of pics, banter and even a little bit of film

Thanks to all that have (So far) participated...

Rich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...