UKC

Softshell trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
harveybirch96 01 Nov 2012
Any advice on a good pair of soft shell trousers for winter mountaineering/climbing?

I've looked at the mountain equipment G2 Ultimate mountains pants http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/clothing/softshell/g2_ultimate...

Any suggestions would be great?
 ben b 01 Nov 2012
In reply to harveybirch96: The material used to be a bit sweaty when they first came out but I gather this has now changed. Others: well, Patagonia Alpine Guides? Most of the Schoeller fabrics are pretty good, with a pair of LJs or powerstretch tights under for really cold weather.

b
 Denni 01 Nov 2012
In reply to ben b:

For years, i've worn Mammut base jump pants with a pair of Lowe alpine long johns underneath. Excellent for winter walking/ climbing. Not too hot or cold and I carry a lightweight pair of waterproofs to throw on if they start to get really wet.
 ballsac 01 Nov 2012
In reply to harveybirch96:

Paramo?

i've got cascada walking trousers, and Aspira salopettes for winter rough stuff - difficult to imagine a less clammy, plasticy-feel of weatherproof tousers...
 jogh 01 Nov 2012
In reply to harveybirch96:
I would recommend the G2 pants as i've had mine for a few years and they still look like new and keep me warm and dry.
 iksander 01 Nov 2012
In reply to harveybirch96: I personally prefer a single layer - a pair of thick trousers like Haglofs Rugged Mountain or Patagonia Back Country Guide for example. I've got a pair of Patagonia mix master pants for when it's really cold (I think the current model is "Northwall")
 RichT 01 Nov 2012
In reply to harveybirch96: Decathlon BIONNASSAY trousers. Have been £39.99 for last couple of winters. Similar build and performance to major brands. Have a friend who reckons
they are as good as Patagonia Guide pants that he paid £130 for.

Side vents built in gaiters, reinforced knees and inner calf/ankle, braces
In reply to RichT:

Agree with the Decathlon trousers recommendation. Just try finding them on the Decathlon website... Fortunately, I found a link that works; seems they've been re-branded as Simond:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-trousers-id_8010075.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...