UKC

Harness for a 3 year old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 01 Nov 2012
Evening all,
my 2 and a half year old small creature climbs everything that she sees so now that the kayak has been put away for winter, I'm going to take her climbing on the local indoor wall.

Can anyone recommend a harness for her and does anyone have any tips when at the wall with a little un?

Thanks in advance, Den
 marsbar 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Denni: http://dmmclimbing.com/products/tom-kitten/ niece has one, its great and will last until she is older. If possible take 2 adults, one to belay and one to encourage/climb alongside. Enjoy
 winhill 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Denni:

Probably a full body harness would be best, although they aren't much use for teaching belaying and leading. What grade is she climbing ATM? What has she done on grit?
OP Denni 01 Nov 2012
In reply to winhill:

She is currently onsighting the yellow and green routes on the climbing frame. She needs to improve her technique and I'm not massively happy with her soloing everything so I'm demanding she wears a harness ;0)
OP Denni 01 Nov 2012
In reply to marsbar:

Thanks for the tips mate and the harness link. Someone very kindly emailed me to sell me a harness but I'd rather buy new.

Really looking forward to taking her :0)
 winhill 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Denni:

try the climbing games book for a few ideas to make it as fun as possible as well as teaching a bit of technique.

Personally, I wouldn't sweat too much about the harness, the only thing is to make sure it's easily adjustable if you find a friend for her to take, apart from that, meh.
 Carolyn 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Denni:
Some of the full body harnesses adjust more than others - we have a couple of the Rock Empire kids ones, and they've fitted from about 2, and still fits my nearly 7 year old. Most of the others didn't go small enough.

http://www.littleadventureshop.co.uk/Kids-Adventure-Products/Rock-Empire-Ap...
 Monk 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Denni:

My tiny for her age 3 year old has a DMM tom kitten that fits well. The biggest problem we've had with taking her climbing is that most walls won't let her in. Fortunately, Bristol walls are more enlightened than those around reading. It's great fun though. Mine shows no fear at all, and loves swinging about on the rope about as much as climbing upwards.
OP Denni 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Monk:

Thanks again for all the advice folks. I suppose I'd best check that the local wall(s) will let her on it!
topout123 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Denni: I use a DMM Alpine, size small. Good for young kids & used a lot in group work.
 marsbar 01 Nov 2012
In reply to topout123: A 3 year old is better in a full body harness.
 sbc23 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Denni:

Edelrid fraggle.

Expensive, but very good. Front and back tie ins. I use ours to put the little lad (3) on a lead when we're at the top of the crag.

My daughter signed her own name on the registration at Blackpool wall, they let her in and she had a great time. Next time they refused her entry, apparently you need to be five

Biggest problem at the wall is stopping the kids walking under other climbers.

Steve

Steve
 John Kelly 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Denni:
go for a full body/high tie in point - small kids nappers are gigantic in relation to their bodies and they tend to hang upside down in a standard harness
Also small kids, very little in the way of waistlines which make upside down very bad
I own 2 petzl Ousititi harnesses and i'm not fond of the buckles that adjust the harness size - the buckles don't lock and can move fairly easily with rough handling from dad and kids - sure petzl will say you always need to check these which is fair point but it is a pain in the backside when your already trying to make small kids conform to climbing wall etiquette
in fairness i love petzl kids helmets and indeed lots of their kit

I don't think most kids harnesses get a lot of hammer and with inspection second hand is probably fine
 Gavin 02 Nov 2012
In reply to John Kelly:

I have access to a number of makes of small body harness and my now (small for his age) 3yo was able to fit into a DMM Tom Kitten with a nice fit from about 2.5.

Gavin
 Jenny C 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Denni: If you're looking at a local wall they may have kids body harnesses to hire, which will give you a chance to see if she likes it before buying a harness. Certainly though at that age she needs a full body harness.

Remember it's cold in the climbing halls in winter, so wrap her up well with a thick coat to wear between climbs.

If it is just the two of you she is going to be climbing almost constantly so don't be surprised if after half and hour she is exhausted.

Kids that age have no awareness of the dangers of a climbing wall and will innocently wander under climbers on the bouldering wall, so keep a very close eye on her whareabouts when she isn't actually tied to a rope.

For get har a pair of plimsoles (like we used to use for PE), these will be closer fitting and more grippy than trainers but are cheap enough to replace when they are outgrown.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...