UKC

Apartment hire Barcelona/costa brava

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Planning a trip to Barcelona next Easter, flights look easy enough but accommodation looks more complicated. It will be a family trip, ideally would like to rent an apartment rather than stay in hotels,as with young family it is more flexible and we can save money by eating in rather than going to restaurants every night

So we're looking for an apartment, ideally reasonably inexpensive but comfortable, with public transport to the city centre easily accessible, but not in a grim suburb...

Also, may like to split the trip with a few days in Barcelona and a few near a beach, but not in a mega resort, somewhere a bit lower key would be nice

I've googled it, but the range is a bit overwhelming and I don't know the city well enough to know where the places to look for/avoid are, so any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received....

Cheers

Gregor
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

bump...

someone out there must know something about this... even just a good website to look at...

cheers
gregor
 Mark Eddy 02 Nov 2012
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: Anywhere around La Rambla gives instant access to the city & harbour, also worth looking at the Eixample district.
L'escala is worth a few days for the beach option, been a while since i went, but remember it being pretty low key with mostly Spanish tourists, good fish restaurants and a fine beach.

Mark
 Little Brew 02 Nov 2012

http://www.homeaway.co.uk

Try these, used them after Brother-in-law recommended them.
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

ive read (rough guide) that the area around las ramblas can be a bit threatening after dark, a fair assessment, or have things improved recently?

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Nov 2012

Apartments Marfina at Casteldefells. Just south of the airport, right on the beach, shortish train ride to the city.

Chris
 MeMeMe 02 Nov 2012

Hi,

I can't recommend an apartment because we stayed inland but we had a good evening out after dark with our 6 year old in the area beside the Jaume I metro and it didn't feel threatening, quite the opposite. I think it might be the Gothic quarter but don't quote me!

There's also a nice park round there and it's close to the beach (granted it's not the best beach in the world but there you go).
 MeMeMe 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs)
>
> Apartments Marfina at Casteldefells. Just south of the airport, right on the beach, shortish train ride to the city.

Don't get your hopes up about that beach either though, when we were there it smelled quite badly...
 Mark Eddy 02 Nov 2012
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: I don't remember it feeling at all threatening no
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Nov 2012
In reply to MeMeMe:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
> [...]
>
> Don't get your hopes up about that beach either though, when we were there it smelled quite badly...

Really, we were there in mid-September, it was busy but no smelly. Superb beaches really:

http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/147114391

http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/147114389

Chris
 MeMeMe 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to MeMeMe)
> [...]
>
> Really, we were there in mid-September, it was busy but no smelly. Superb beaches really:
>

We were there mid October, it was pretty empty and there was a distinct smell!
It had been raining pretty heavily through, maybe the drainage/sewage can't cope with the volume...

In reply to all:

thanks for comments so far, will check out those links over weekend...

cheers
gregor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...