UKC

Tri cams for winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 02 Nov 2012
Who uses tricams in winter? How do they compare to cams? I've been thinking about getting some of the former to replace the latter, in winter at least.

R
 GarethSL 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor:

They're great in icy cracks and just in general, I use the cheap Viamont tri-cams which unfortunately can't really be placed passively due to the orientation of the wire, but I rarely feel bad about hammering the crap out of them.

The wired Viamont cams can be a little fiddly to place with big gloves, especially the smaller sizes and I can't speak for Camp tri-cams, although they have the added benefit of being designed to be placed passively too!

There's also something satisfyingly comforting about a well set tricam.
 Michael Gordon 02 Nov 2012

Camp tri-cams are great. They can be very reliable where nothing else will work (usually icy parallel cracks). Worth still taking a few cams though.
 Michael Gordon 02 Nov 2012

They are fiddly to place but definitely worthwhile.
 beardy mike 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor: dogs doughnuts. I wouldn't go out without them. Much better than hexes IMO. Better than cams? In icy cracks yes. More fiddle, definitely. But you'll get placements you'd never have thought possible with them...
skarabrae 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor: they are excellent for winter, the dogs whatsits!
As mike has mentioned, you'll get great placements with them that you won't get with any other piece of kit! First bit of kit on my winter rack.
more versatile & cheaper than cams, tho I'll pgobably get lynched for saying so!!
 Graham 04 Nov 2012
In reply to skarabrae:
Tri cams are excellent - especially when stiffened so they can be placed one-handed.
OP Roberttaylor 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor: Cheers, looks like getting a set is rather a good idea.

R

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...