UKC

Rucksack Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MtnGeekUK 02 Nov 2012
Hi.

Currently have a Lowe Alpine Quark 40, but not getting on with the lid.

So now on the lookout for something else and need some advice.

Use mainly for mountain walks / scrambles / occasional climbs.

Also used for lightweight overnighters, so need about 40 litres.

Anyone got any suggestions, or anything for sale or swap?
 kestrelspl 02 Nov 2012
In reply to MtnGeekUK: I have an Osprey Mutant 38 and use it for exactly what you've described. It was also ideal for my ML training course, if that's something you're interested in.

The lid has standard clips rather than the strange Lowe Alpine one, is removable and has a spindrift collar.
OP MtnGeekUK 03 Nov 2012
In reply to kestreslspl:

Thanks for that - anyone else?
 Jayhigh 03 Nov 2012
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

Blue Ice Warthog 38? I haven't seen it in the flesh but the 26 looked awesome in the shop - tough but simple.
OP MtnGeekUK 03 Nov 2012
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

Having looked at Jagged Globe's winter mountain advice video, they suggest 40-50l for day out, so this suggests something bigger for overnight?

Anyone think this is too much?

jonnie3430 03 Nov 2012
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

I do! I have a mutant 38 (like it,) and have used it for 5 day climbing trips, so don't see the point in anything bigger. The mutants brother, the varient has a solid back and the mutants is a bit more flexy, so try before you buy. Before that I had an old incarnation of the Berghaus Arete 45 which was good too.
 butteredfrog 03 Nov 2012
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

Deuter guide 35, great sac, absolutely bombproof, plus that full length side zip that i wasn't sure about, is o useful.
OP MtnGeekUK 03 Nov 2012
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

Torn between Talon 44 and Mutant 38 now, although Deuter Guide looks nice.

Anyone used these on Winter Skills type courses?
 Ramblin dave 03 Nov 2012
In reply to MtnGeekUK:
I've got a Talon 44, my girlfriend's got a Pod Alpine 40. I think hers is better - it hasn't got as many bells and (literally) whistles as the Osprey, but it feels a bit more solid. Not to slate the build quality of the Osprey, but I think they've focused more on lightness while the Pod feels more like a workhorse. Also you can entirely remove the stiffener to pack it down if you want to pack it as a daysack on a longer trip...
 1906johns 03 Nov 2012
In reply to MtnGeekUK: I have a grivel alpine 55 for sale... http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=525579

alex
OP MtnGeekUK 03 Nov 2012
In reply to 1906johns:

Cheers. Think this is a little big for me!

Have now found something - anyone want my Lowe Alpine sack? 40 ish quid?
 jonnie3430 03 Nov 2012
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

My Osprey has been with me on everything I've done over the last three years, so that includes Alps and Scottish winter climbing. It'll be fine on a winter course. I am now playing with a super light Alpkit Goudron 25 to see if I can get away with that for winter, but that is probably too small...
 andyd1970 03 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430: The mutant 38 for example in a Large is 41 litres and Extends by 10 litres Making it a 51 litre in a large. So in affect the Mutant is a 40-50L pack
 Nick_Scots 03 Nov 2012

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...