UKC

SCNL Today (Friday)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 02 Nov 2012
Just in case anyone was wondering...

Snowlevel about 700m, but wet, becoming dry and mid-shin depth just below the coire bowl level. Drifts up to mid thigh in places, been coming in on strong Westerlies, some slab building. Rock seems to have had a good snow plastering on westerly aspects. Very very little ice about, lochans all still visible. Broad and Forked Gullies are complete but lean, could be interesting. Snow is deep in places but footsteps generally all the way to the ground. Was still snowing intermittently when we left at 5pm.

Enjoy
 euanryan 02 Nov 2012
In reply to peebles boy: Reckon Dorsal will be good for Monday?
 Jamie B 02 Nov 2012
In reply to peebles boy:

I wouldn't go near the gullies. They may be "complete" but it will just be powder-covered rubble. How were the buttresses looking?
 JamesRoddie 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

Loaded with powder. Not much frozen turf around at 800m where I was climbing. Photos here of other stuff in Glencoe

http://glencoemountaineer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/first-winter-route-of-seas...

James
 Jamie B 03 Nov 2012
In reply to euanryan:

Imagine Dorsal will "go" but in early-season condition, ie watch out for loose blocks!
 Milesy 03 Nov 2012
> (In reply to euanryan)
>
> Imagine Dorsal will "go" but in early-season condition, ie watch out for loose blocks!

Loose fridges more like, and that was mid season!
OP peebles boy 03 Nov 2012

I only said they're complete, didn't say they'd be fun...

Had a wander up the N Ridge of Sgorr Dearg today (Ballachulish Horseshoe). Snow level seems to have dropped a lot overnight, good cover from 600m upwards and plenty big drifts along the ridge. A cracking day out on a nice ridge and off the beaten track....literally...it felt more like jungle training at the start than hillwalking!!!
 euanryan 04 Nov 2012
In reply to peebles boy: Off to do Dorsal and possibly Twisting Gully tomorrow, will report back!
 LakesWinter 04 Nov 2012
In reply to euanryan: Twisting Gully, no frozen turf, no consolidated snow, no ice..... I wouldn't bother myself, Dorsal should be good though.
 Only a hill 04 Nov 2012
In reply to euanryan:
Watch out for those loose blocks on Dorsal!
 euanryan 04 Nov 2012
In reply to LakesWinter: Fair enough! We'll see when we get there i suppose.

Onlyahill - duly noted!
 LakesWinter 04 Nov 2012
In reply to euanryan: yeah you never know, have a good day out anyhow.
 Milesy 04 Nov 2012
In reply to LakesWinter:
> (In reply to euanryan) Twisting Gully, no frozen turf, no consolidated snow, no ice..... I wouldn't bother myself, Dorsal should be good though.

Yeah defo don't go near Twisting Gully if only for the reason that you would much enjoy it when it is in condition.

I recorded this last jan and conditions were brilliant.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZvKD09PG4Wk&
 euanryan 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Milesy: Wow, looks brilliant! Glad we didn't waste it on bad conditions then!

Climbed Dorsal, with a variation on the last pitch involving an interesting roof/chimney and a tricky crack! (Anyone know what it was/grade?)

Very deep powder from the coire floor up, snow from very low down, made the approach very tiring indeed! After a good thaw/freeze I'll defintely be getting back up there for some harder routes!
 Only a hill 07 Nov 2012
In reply to euanryan:
Was the chimney just left after the 'dorsal'? If so I think it's an unnamed Grade III finish, from memory.
 Only a hill 07 Nov 2012
 euanryan 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Only a hill: That's the one yeah! Felt a lot tougher than III!
 Jamie B 07 Nov 2012
In reply to euanryan:

I've done that variant with a small amount of consolidated snow/ice and thought IV,4. I remember thinking it could be easier or harder dependent on build-up.
 euanryan 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: Yeah I reckon IV was more like it. Especially as the turf was pretty soft!
 Jamie B 08 Nov 2012
In reply to euanryan:

> Especially as the turf was pretty soft!

Don't be admitting to that now. If there's one place I'd never climb on dubious turf it's the Lochan - too much scope for tombstone blocks being dislodged.

euanryan 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: True enough! Soft turf, but it doesn't mean we were yanking and hacking at it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...