UKC

Ropes /gear on Shelterstone - accident

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 04 Nov 2012
After an accident on Western Union / Clach Dhian chimney today, there are now two 60m ropes and some gear still dangling from the cliff suspended from the first step hanging down towards the gully. My hubby had to escape down, sort out climbing partner and climb up Castlegates gully to get help. So it would be great to get the ropes back if anyone is passing.

Conditions were reasonably good by the way and worth the walk over, not sure the poor casualty agrees - he is doing ok in Raigmore hospital.

Thanks
 DaveHK 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Heike:

Hope all is ok Heike.
OP Heike 04 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:
Hope so, too. We don't know too much at the moment. Brian had to go, climb out and alert the rescue and then our friend was lifted off - Brian had to walk out. He spoke to hospital and he seems alert with several injuries, hopefully will find out more soon.
Cheers
Heike
 TobyA 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Heike: Fingers crossed that your mate is fine!
 Cameron94 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Heike: Hope you get your gear back and your friend makes a quicky recovery!
 AlH 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Heike: Bummer. Friends on Red Guard saw the helo and reckoned someone was having a bad day. Speedy recovery to the casualty.
 Andy Nisbet 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Heike:

I might be able to go on Thursday, but no promises.
OP Heike 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet and all:

Thanks guys!
 Ron Walker 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Heike:

Saw the Chopper and thought they were just checking out the routes!
Hopefully the casualty recovers well....
JennyL 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Heike:
Saw this too - more sterling work from the RAF - they make short work of tricky and dangerous situations don't they?
 nw 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Heike:
Best wishes.
 David Reid 05 Nov 2012
In reply to nw:

Hope its nothing short of a full recovery, and the ropes get returned !!
 Captain Solo 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
> (In reply to Heike)
>
> I might be able to go on Thursday, but no promises.

Hi Andy, I was thinking of heading in thurs as well, I'll email you.
 Andy Nisbet 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Captain Solo:

Yes am going; have e-mailed you.
OP Heike 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Heike:
It's great to have good pals!!!

Thanks so much to Andy Nisbet and Captain Solo who ventured out today and retrieved ropes and gear.

Thanks again also to the MRT Braemar and the RAF. All have been very kind and helpful.

Ferret 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Heike: Tall tales and bold deads to be shared on the trip this weekend?
OP Heike 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Ferret:
Indeed! Whisky at the ready?
Ferret 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Heike: Always! Lachlans being a tight wad though... he's had a bottle of unusual Bruichladich for over 3 years now and he still hasn't opened it. Don't expect anything from him.
OP Heike 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Ferret:
That's just shocking! I'd wrestle it off him, but feel bad to get into a fisty cuff with a 3 year old!! Looking forward to tomorrow!
 Andy Nisbet 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Heike:

I've e-mailed you but it's not all good news. The chopper crew don't untie ropes, they cut them (fair enough, not safe to hang around close to the cliff). So each rope is a little shorter. But we got the gear also.
 dave crookes 11 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
> (In reply to Heike)
>
> I've e-mailed you but it's not all good news. The chopper crew don't untie ropes, they cut them (fair enough, not safe to hang around close to the cliff). So each rope is a little shorter. But we got the gear also.

Massive thanks for collecting the gear {I will speak to Brian and Heike to fix things up]. Just got back home today with a couple of flesh wounds [fractured neck and wrist] after unexpected head first dive. Big thanks to Brian who saved the day and top marks to rescue services for scooping me out of a very compromised situation. Did feel a bit lonely when I eventually came round finding myself hanging off the rope. Will I ever get a route done on Shelterstone?? Dave
OP Heike 11 Nov 2012
In reply to dave crookes:
> (In reply to Andy Nisbet)
> [...]
>
> Massive thanks for collecting the gear {I will speak to Brian and Heike to fix things up]. Just got back home today with a couple of flesh wounds [fractured neck and wrist] after unexpected head first dive. Big thanks to Brian who saved the day and top marks to rescue services for scooping me out of a very compromised situation. Did feel a bit lonely when I eventually came round finding myself hanging off the rope. Will I ever get a route done on Shelterstone?? Dave

Sure, you will get a route done! Take you out next year when your flesh wounds have healed....Maybe some nice summer route? The Needle, Steeple?

In reply to dave crookes:
Good to hear your on the mend, cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...