UKC

Canada

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jules699 04 Nov 2012
Did some TR in canmore area many many moons ago as a teenager. I would love to go back. Is it easier, logistically, to hit the sport climbing "west side" or go bouldering in squamish? My Alberta geography is rusty! Would I need to hire a car?
G Graham 04 Nov 2012
In reply to jules699:
Squamish is easy to get to. Flights to Vancouver and the Whistler bound bus. I would say a car is needed to go to Canmore. If you're planning on going soon, bring your ice axes!
Removed User 04 Nov 2012
In reply to jules699:

There isn't a lot of detail in your post but Canmore will be too cold to do much sport climbing now. If you were planning a summer trip then you could get away without a car provided you had some contacts or were prepared to hitch or jump on a bus.

You could easily walk to Cougar canyon or Grassi but even Grotto or Heart creek arent too far out of town.
Removed User 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User:

Best guide book will be Bow Valley Sport
Removed User 04 Nov 2012
In reply to jules699:
> Did some TR in canmore area many many moons ago as a teenager. I would love to go back. Is it easier, logistically, to hit the sport climbing "west side" or go bouldering in squamish? My Alberta geography is rusty! Would I need to hire a car?

So again, at the risk of some confusion in your post, Squamish is in BC and you get to it as the previous poster said. Canmore is about 3/4 of an hour out of Calgary on the No.1 highway heading west. There will bbe buses from Calgary to Canmore.
OP jules699 04 Nov 2012
In reply to G Graham: Thanks. I wouldnt be wanting the ice climibng action. When does their summer season start?
OP jules699 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User: This was just a "put out the feelers" post. Kinda expected the summer season to be over. Thanks for your advice.
Removed User 04 Nov 2012
In reply to jules699:
> (In reply to G Graham) Thanks. I wouldnt be wanting the ice climibng action. When does their summer season start?

In the summer, right after spring.
OP jules699 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User: Sq in BC. Noted. Thanks! So once you get to Canmore you can hike form crag to crag? Accommodation?
OP jules699 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User: Doh! So its roughly same temps as UK?
Removed User 04 Nov 2012
In reply to jules699:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux) Sq in BC. Noted. Thanks! So once you get to Canmore you can hike form crag to crag? Accommodation?

Yep. plenty of bunkhouse stuff to stay in.
Removed User 04 Nov 2012
In reply to jules699:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux) Doh! So its roughly same temps as UK?

Yes.
OP jules699 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User: Thanks for all your help. As you live there(soooo jealous) I can take what you say as fairly accurate! I'll email you again once the summer season comes round for an update if thats ok?
Removed User 04 Nov 2012
In reply to jules699:

Just to expand a little on the summer weather. It is mountain weather so it can be quite changeable and early season can still get quite cold especially at night. Bring clothes for this.

Lots of campsites and bunkhouses but a word of warning on the campsites. Some will charge per site and it doesn't matter whether you have a one man tent or a full sized RV, the cost is the same.

The Alpine club hut just out of town is excellent especially if you want a bit of quiet and don't want to take a tent over.

G Graham 05 Nov 2012
In reply to jules699:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux) Doh! So its roughly same temps as UK?
Not really! Canmore: Winter is colder (it's one of the best ice climbing locations in the world) and summer is hotter. Squamish: roughly the same and probably wetter than much of the UK.
Will Gadd has a really good description of the Rockies climbing cycle on his gravsports website. The website is not pretty but there's great info there from one of the good guys.

Jonny2vests 06 Nov 2012
In reply to jules699:

Confused. Are you going ice climbing or 'summer' climbing?

Jon (Squamish)
OP jules699 06 Nov 2012
In reply to jonny2vests: Rock climbing. i guess I'll be waiitng til next year to visit. Probably leaning more towards a squamish trip....do planes allow bouldering mats? "oversized" baggage?
 Jonny2vests 06 Nov 2012
In reply to jules699:
> (In reply to jonny2vests) Rock climbing. i guess I'll be waiitng til next year to visit. Probably leaning more towards a squamish trip....do planes allow bouldering mats? "oversized" baggage?

Yeah, mats are fine on planes if your happy to pay the extra. Might work out more economical and less hassle to hire one here from Climb On in Squamish.
 Paul Kinnaird 06 Nov 2012
In reply to jules699: I flew with 2 standard sized bouldering mats (120x90cm open) to vancouver on BA and had no problems. I just wrapped them with some black shrink wrap and duck tape i think they weighed about 13-14kg with a few bits thrown in as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...