UKC

Best comic / graphic novel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 05 Nov 2012
Been a long time since I read any but looking for recommendations.

Old favourites: Sandman, Hellblazer, Miracleman, Watchmen

So kind of drak, gritty but not real life stories, of some depressed artist living in Brooklyn / kid growing up under the military junta in Burma.
 Tall Clare 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

I've just seen 'Hipster Hitler' in Salts Mill bookshop... the mind boggles.
 Bobbsy 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I used to like Rogue Trooper...haven't seen one in a long time though.
Sarah G 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:
Asterix.

Soooooo funny.

The Fabulolus Furry Freak Brothers.

Sooooooo funny.

sxx
 Noelle 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

The Walking Dead Series is really great! Bought one issue on a whim and then got hopelessly addicted.

You could also try some more Alan Moore if you liked Watchmen: Promethea, Swamp Thing, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I also love Slaine and some of the Judge Dredd graphic novels that have been reissued lately.

Enjoy!
OP Flinticus 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Sarah G:
Asterix??! &%$##@! really no. But thanks all the same

Freak Brothers are alright but not quite what I'm after
 MonkeyPuzzle 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

Preacher has to be one of the all-time greats.
OP Flinticus 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Noelle:
Read The League of E..Gentlemen, and have read a few Swamp Things as well. Maybe should read the whole series...

Slaine & JD: read them ages ago.

Anything new (aside from The Walking Dead: I'm keeping that for TV)
 Ramblin dave 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Noelle:
> (In reply to Flinticus)

> You could also try some more Alan Moore if you liked Watchmen: Promethea, Swamp Thing, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I'm reading From Hell at the moment. It's fairly amazing.
 Milesy 05 Nov 2012
The Boys. One of the best things I have ever read.
 Grey area 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

If you don't mind manga the Deathnote series is pretty good.
 Bulls Crack 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Sarah G:
> (In reply to Flinticus)
> Asterix.
>
> Soooooo funny.
>
>
> The Fabulolus Furry Freak Brothers.
>
> Sooooooo funny.
>
> sxx

Great choices!
 Noelle 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

Okay, more suggestions!

Promethea is pretty new, last one released in 2005. Its about as clever as superhero comics get.

How about the Invisibles? Grant Morrison is brilliant, and although the series isn't brand new, its still one of the most imaginative I've read for a while. He's also written Doom Patrol and Arkham Asylum with Dave McKean. Animal Man's also really good.

I know you said that you wanted to keep the Walking Dead for TV, but the comics are much better! I almost fell asleep through most of series 2, although its getting better again now. Maybe when series 3 is over?

If you're into (slightly rude)Canadian climbing comics, Tami Knight is worth googling for.
 BoulderyDave 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus: got to be a +1 for 'the boys'. It is quite possibly the best comic for years.
 Stevie A 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:
Y The Last Man remains a cracking read. Alan Moores The Birth Caul is pretty impressive also.
 Kelcat 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus: not new, but definitely one of the best ever, Moonshadow.
If 2000AD was your thing they're all being re-released, just ifinished Nemesis, Strontium Dog next.
 Milesy 05 Nov 2012
In reply to BoulderyDave:
> (In reply to Flinticus) got to be a +1 for 'the boys'. It is quite possibly the best comic for years.

Massively sad about the upcoming finale. It's has been a source of great enjoyment for years.
Wonko The Sane 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

Never been into them apart from Fabulous furry Freak brothers........ but that was of it's time. Dated now.

Asterix never ages and is brilliant.

2000AD was the only other comic I ever read.
 Duncan Bourne 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:
Well if you like those then first off would be.....
"the adventures of Luthor Arkwright" by Brian Talbot and its follow up 'Age of Empire"
"the Dark Knight returns" by Frank Miller (though I would be surprised if you hadn't read this one)
"Akira" by Katsuhiro Otomo
"Ballad of Halo Jones" by Alan Moore
"Bone" by Jeff Smith (not really dark and gritty but brilliant)
"Cerebus" by Dave Sim (Long, funny, inspired, tedious, misogynistic, controvertial, a real mixed bag. personally I would avoid the "Reads" section like the plague but otherwise wide of scope and entertaining)
"Blacksad" by Juan Diaz Canales & Juanjo Guarnido (superb artwork)
"Girl Genius" by Phil Foglio (Web comic and available in book form)
 Kieran_John 06 Nov 2012
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Agreed, Preacher is amazing, definitely worth a read.
OP Flinticus 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
Thanks. Good calls:
Read all Luthor Arkwright! Also a lot of the Dark Knight.
Read Halo Jones when in 2000AD (this should be made into a movie)
Akira: not read but have the movie on DVD
Have read bit of Cerebus: may read more on your recommendation.
Blacksad looks good.
Girl Genius: I see its online so will have a look at that.

In reply to Flinticus: The Killing Joke has to be up there somewhere.
In reply to Kieran_John:
> (In reply to MonkeyPuzzle)
>
> Agreed, Preacher is amazing, definitely worth a read.

Film due out in 2014?
OP Flinticus 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Noelle:
Promethea seems exactly what I am looking for.

If you haven't read it I suggest Miracleman (Alan Moore): my favourite over all the graphic novels & comics I've read.

Interesting wiki article on Animal Man: seeems the most current series is well acclaimed.
 toad 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus: Corporate Skull is my guilty pleasure- another online comic/ graphic novel thingy
 aln 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus: Locke and Key by Joe Hill is excellent. Sweet Tooth is shaping up to be a winner.
OP Flinticus 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:
Thanks for all the suggestions.
A good few to look into.

Have just gone & got the first 15 issues of Promethea (damn web, makes this thing too easy).
Shearwater 06 Nov 2012
Free online things... Freakangels (freakangels.com) and Mnemesis (sylvanmigdal.com/?ix=mnemesis&date=20020928) manage to be a little gritty, though I don't know if they qualify as 'drak'. The author of the latter has done a handful of other freebies that you can find linked from there.

I also liked Rice Boy and Order of Tales (rice-boy.com). YMMV.
OP Flinticus 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Shearwater:
My new knowledge of today = 'YMMV'. thanks

In return, 'drak' is Scottish slang meaning both 'dreich' and 'dark': think of the Eastend of Glasgow on a wet night.

OK... I made that up, but it can from now if the people of UKC want it to
 Kieran_John 06 Nov 2012
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: Film has been due out for years and years and years. I'll be shocked if it ever actually gets made.

Also, op, regarding Akira. If you like the film I'd suggest the comics, they had to cut and change so much to get it to make sense as a stand alone film.
 Lizard 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:
Another vote for Locke & Key- truly amazing graphic novel.
 Duncan Bourne 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:
Akira the book is much better than the film and a lot more involved (well it does run into 10 volumes)
Cerebus a brief breakdown according to the current line up of "telephone" books
"Cerebus" All the early, rough around the edges, but very funny stories
"High Society" Dave Sim does politics somewhere in this "novel" Gerhard joins the team and the backgrounds become amazing. Still very funny with some excellent send ups of DC & Marvel characters through the ever changing character of the Cockroach. A great Stand alone book.
"Church and State I" Cerebus for Pope! brilliant religious satire but with creeping mysticism. Not many comics have there main character laid up with a cold for several episodes. Dave Sim experiments with panel borders, text and all manner of stuff and for this reason I always cite him as a major influence on my own style.
"Church and State II" More weirdness, Cerebus commits rape (as Pope, either a comment the character of Cerebus or the character of the church) and "acsends" to the Moon where he meets the Judge. Still very entertaining but definitely edging towards the outright mystical egotism of later books.
"Jaka's Story" A complete departure from previous works. Cerebus takes a back seat to the story of Jaka (Princess of Palanu and niece of Lord Julius). Not funny (but with some good moments) this is comics as real life. It is sad, poignant, and at times disturbing but as one of the stand alone books is still one of my favourites, I say stand alone but you really need to know all the characters to appreciate it.
"Melmoth" Dave Sim does the last days of Oscar Wilde. For me this is the beginning of the decline. Dave Sim has a fondness for certain real life authors (Ocar Wilde, F Fitzgerald, Hemingway) whom he brings into the story under barely disguised pseudonyms. For most of this story Cerebus (the main character lest we forget) is catatonic.
"Flight", "Women", "Reads" and "Minds". What can be said about these four? Dave Sim comes out as a misogynist, Dave Sim inflicts long passages of painfully overblown verbose language on us, he obviously fancies himself as a creative writer but his writing would make a victorian novelist seem like a stark minimalist. Finally Cerebus flies through space to Pluto where he meets his creator "Dave" (the author/artist as God) who punches him. What this says about Dave Sim's psychology I can only imagine! The saving grace for all this is the excellent artwork.
"Guys" basically a bunch of guys doing guy stuff in a pub. Sounds daft but this is actually very good, and funny, and sad, and occasionally downright egotistical and stupid (yes "Dave" turns up for a drink in the bar to impart some advice to his creation) Cerebus gets laid.
"Rick's Story" a counter part to Jaka's Story, Rick being her husband in that story. Again quite good with some lovely artwork.
"Going Home" and "Form and Void" Cerebus re-unites with his lost love and travels back to his home village. entertaining but once again we get the "famous author cameo" and some Christian symbolism (Dave decides that he is not God but puts God into the story)
"Latter days" Dave Sim goes Jewish and MORE BLOODY TEXT (Chasing YHVH) AAAAAARGH! other wise this is about the later years of Cerebus and has the feeling of rushing to a conclusion. Some good bits but overall weak I think.
"The Last Day" Cerebus's great death bed scene. Aged, decrepit and mildly senile Cerebus is a virtual prisoner in his own room as the state is under lockdown from a group of militant feminist-homosexuals, which tells you all you need to know about "Dave's" mind!
I don't like Sim, and I don't share his values but there is no denying that for the most part he wrote one hell of a story that really has no equal, curate's egg that it is.
For a much nicer, quirky 10 volume story then Jeff Smith's "Bone" also has no equal.

Another one I thought of was "From Hell" Eddie Campbell's take on teh Jack the Ripper story
justmooching 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

V for vendetta is a good dark dystopian graphic novel. Much more grim and better than the film.

Or try some manga. Many different styles, many good.
 Simon 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

agree with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - very well written and you will find so many easter eggs it's not true... Books 1&2 very good, books 3&4 good but not as 1&2. Books 5&6 very good and a great journey through a century... just don't watch the film... its shite

Garth Ennis & Steve Dillons PREACHER is a must - 9 plus two short books - all top notch & full of dark humor & horror.

I'm currently on book 9 of 12 of THE BOYS - another Garth Ennis creation which the like of you have never seen - it makes Preacher look tame!

Another vote for the Invisables, albeit its an acquired taste.

V for Vendetta is a masterpeice as is Moore's Killing Joke - another must...

The loosers is a great romp by diggle and jock & again don't watch the film...

anything by D'israli & Ian Edgington - especially Kingdom of the wicked.

2000AD of course a staple part of the comic diet & Judge Dredd the megazine. There are loads of collections as people have said to catch up - such a treat to be able to read them all for the first time - lucky you!

...and finally - a MUST READ in more ways than one (kids should be made to read this in English Literature classes)

..Art Speigleman's true account of the Holocaust through his farther who survived Auschwitz...

MAUS

happy reading... Si
 Duncan Bourne 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Simon:
Agreed V for Vendetta is superb.
 JollyGreen 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

Agree with Milesy: The Boys is excellent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...