UKC

Tarragona Climbs - new guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alun 05 Nov 2012
The second in Pete O'Donovan / Dani Andrada guides came out this weekend:
http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Books-Maps-DVDs/Foreign-Climbing-Guid...

I picked up a copy in Siurana on Saturday, and can only say that I'm totally bowled over with how fantastic it is. Finally one of the best and most famous climbing destinations on the planet has the quality guidebook it deserves. The Siurana section alone feels twice as useful as the previous guidebooks; Margalef finally gets a proper guide, and there's loads of great sectors that haven't been really featured previously in anything beyond scraps of paper.

Although at 30€ it's not cheap, when you consider the sheer volume of routes, it feels like a bargain. Hats off to all involved, the climbing community owes you one!
 1poundSOCKS 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Alun: It's in stock here, and with free shipping, just ordered it...

http://www.cordee.co.uk/Tarragona-Climbs---Catalunya-det-0-0-0-9689.html
 Tyler 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Alun:

Is Masriudoms included, it's not mentioned on the cover but it would seem a bit of an oversight if not
OP Alun 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Tyler:
Yup.
OP Alun 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Tyler:
And even if it weren't, it wouldn't be that much of an oversight, given that it's only of real interest to climbers operating at >7b+ in very certain conditions (i.e. rain, but only until it start seeping)

Amazing place though.
 Pete O'Donovan 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Alun:

Glad you like the new book!

You're right — at £29.95/€30 it's not exactly cheap, but rest assured that substantial funding will be passed on to local activists (as it has from our first guide 'Lleida Climbs') for the purpose of equipping new routes and re-equipping existing lines in the area.

As well as Dani's contribution, support from local climbers (not to mention quite a few holidaying foreigners) has been invaluable, with special thanks going to Toni Arbonés, Òscar Giménez, Jordi Besora, Vicent Palau and Miki Cardona.
 Ian Patterson 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Pete O'Donovan:
> (In reply to Alun)
>
> Glad you like the new book!
>
> You're right — at £29.95/€30 it's not exactly cheap, but rest assured that substantial funding will be passed on to local activists (as it has from our first guide 'Lleida Climbs') for the purpose of equipping new routes and re-equipping existing lines in the area.
>
Haven't seen it yet but based on Lleida Climbs I don't think you need to apologise about the price. For me a good guidebook really enhances a trip and given all the money you can spend on flights/car hire/accomodation etc I think your guides count as good value rather than expensive.
 AJM 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Alun:

Looks good, although I'm wishing I'd known it was in the offing before buying the Siurana and Montsant guides (for a trip that never even happened, worse luck!). Still, it's on my Christmas list...
 d_b 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Alun:

Is there a list of areas covered anywhere? I couldn't see one in the links.
 Simon Caldwell 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Alun:
Is this the same area as Costa Dourada?

Is there much there for us punters (<6a)?
 Morgan Woods 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Toreador: quite a bit if you are prepared to move around....La Mussara, Monsant & Siurana are good places to start.
OP Alun 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Toreador:
There is more than enough to keep you happy for a week. Though many of the easier sectors are now getting a bit polished.
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 09 Nov 2012
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to Alun)
>
> Is there a list of areas covered anywhere? I couldn't see one in the links.

I have written a brief résumé here

http://www.climbonline.co.uk/reviews.htm

Full review to follow once I have used the guide properly!
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Tarragona Climbs is now available in Corundella.

Similar clear layout to Lleida Climbs. Good selection of superb action photos, clear photo diagrams and includes the best sectors of some of the best crags in Spain.

Not definitive but most of the best routes and more than enough for many holiday trips to come.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...