UKC

recomended cheese for cheese on toast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the power 06 Nov 2012
Cathedral city just isnt doing it for me anymore
 Sharp 06 Nov 2012
In reply to the power: Are you sticking with "traditional" cheese on toast, i.e. cheddar or are you looking for other options?
Why not tzake the extra few mins and get yourself a nice rarebit fired up?
 Ramblin dave 06 Nov 2012
In reply to the power:
Get hold of some sumac and sprinkle a bit of that on top of whatever you use, it's ace.
Removed User 06 Nov 2012
In reply to the power:

Five cheesestrings side by side. Good luck.
 elliptic 06 Nov 2012
In reply to the power:

Crumbly cheshire or lancashire with a dash of worcester sauce...
 ripper 06 Nov 2012
In reply to the power: try adding some worcester sauce, or a nice spicy chutney, before you grill? or just experiment with, oh i dunno maybe some nice gruyere or pecorino
 Clarence 06 Nov 2012
In reply to elliptic:
> Crumbly cheshire or lancashire with a dash of worcester sauce...

That is one of my favourites along with the Welsh Double - Caerphilly and Fiery Dragon (some weird Welsh cheese with lots of chilli in it). Gentleman's Relish with Sage Derby is good too.

tlm 06 Nov 2012
In reply to the power:

Use GOOD bread, e.g http://www.londonroadbakehouse.co.uk/news.php Toast one side, spread tomato purée on the untoasted side, add a couple of bits of thinly sliced mushrooms, or peppers, and some fresh basil, cover in grated Davidstow Cornish Crackler (easy to get hold of in supermarkets), and toast!

A mini pizza!
 Sharp 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Clarence:

7 responses and no poor cheese puns, must be a first.
 tlm 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Sharp:

yeah, it's a bit rare...
 ayuplass 06 Nov 2012
In reply to the power:
Red Leicester is the best for cheese on toast. *folds arms*
 Sharp 06 Nov 2012
In reply to ayuplass: its nice on its own but it doesn't go well with whoosh, which discounts it as the best imo
 nniff 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Sharp:

It's only a brief topic..
Wonko The Sane 06 Nov 2012
In reply to the power: Try this:

Grate some mature cheddar.
Add one egg
Large teaspoon of english mustard.

Toast it, then add worcester sauce.
Parrys_apprentice 06 Nov 2012
In reply to ayuplass: you are correct
paulcarey 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Sharp:

I find the with cheese on toast the trick is never to burn the toast, always apply any heat to bread caer-philly.

<gets coat in shame>
In reply to the power: The answer is, it depends.

What it depends on is whether you like your cheese to release a bit of oil into the bread as you toast it, or whether you'd prefer it not to. Cheddar will, and that makes your toast a bit more moist as you eat it. Lancashire won't, and that keeps your toast crunchy. Get some of each and microwave a bit; the Cheddar will give you cheese solids and release a surprising amount of fluid; the Lancashire will stay combined.

That makes them surprisingly different when toasted. Go experiment and report back.

T.
pasbury 06 Nov 2012
In reply to the power:

Halloumi or stilton or, what the hell, both.
 sam@work 06 Nov 2012
In reply to the power: goats cheese and some tomato burger relish on the side . .
In reply to the power: Gouda! Or Comté?

I find cheddars to be a bit too sharp (much nicer thinly sliced on an oatcake).

The above are more creamy and buttery. IMHO.
 marsbar 06 Nov 2012
 Ava Adore 06 Nov 2012
In reply to the power:

Ayuplass is right. Red Leicester.

None of this nancy goats cheese and weird accompaniments. Just Red Leicester.
 Milesy 06 Nov 2012
Red Leicester is disgusting.

Cornish Cruncher from M&S is amazing.

Lincolnshire Poacher Cheese
 Ava Adore 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> Red Leicester is disgusting.
>
>

Freak
Daithi O Murchu 06 Nov 2012
In reply to the power:
guerier
 Ava Adore 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> Red Leicester is disgusting.
>
> Cornish Cruncher from M&S is amazing.
>
>

Poncy yuppie cheese

Steph-in-the-West 06 Nov 2012
In reply to the power:
Davidstow with sliced tomatoes on top.....yum!!!! Makes more of a meal too.
 Milesy 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to Milesy)
> [...]
>
> Poncy yuppie cheese
>
>

Red Leicester was always regarded as a posh alternative to Cheddar actually. The colour signified that the cows were eating much richer, high quality grass with a greater carotene content.

Sounds like you Red Leicester eater is the posh one. Oh my. Red Leicester and cous cous darlinnnnnnng.
 ripper 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to Milesy)
> [...]
>
> Freak

my mum always used to say red leicester made the best cheese on toast - and as far as she was concerned she was stating a fact, not expressing an opinion... she also used to make toasted cheese sarnies, in a frying pan with a bit of butter - mmmm yummy cholesterol!
 brokenbanjo 06 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper:

Me Nan used to call them Cheese Dreams. Me ma made me one t'other day. Figured I had eaten two bulbs of garlic in the previous week, so I was justified. Were good.
 subalpine 06 Nov 2012
 hazeysunshine 06 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper:

why stick to cheese? If you want to create food that also impresses girls, underpant toast is where it's at http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/underpanttoast/
 Ava Adore 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Milesy:

Of course it's posh. Fortunately it's not some johnny-come-lately cheese like that there Cornish Cruncher nonsense
 Sharp 07 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper: Always surprises me how many people buy toastie makers when they're so much nicer and less mess in the pan
 Ava Adore 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Sharp:

I don't like the over crustiness that a toastie maker provides and I've never heard of them being made in a pan. Mine are done under the grill.

I have a yearning for a toasted cheese sarnie now....
cragtaff 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the power: There is one from Lancashire called Bleasdale, ( a blend) superb on toast or as ingredient for cheese scones.
Jamming Dodger 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the power: Y Fenni is pretty nice toasted but quite potent.
I second the egg in cheddar. Bloody lovely.
 ripper 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Ava Adore: always amused me a bit that in my family these were referred to as 'toasted cheese sandwiches' when they were cooked in a pan. I guess 'fried cheese sandwiches' sounded a bit unhealthy even way back in the good ol' 70s
 Sharp 07 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to Ava Adore) always amused me a bit that in my family these were referred to as 'toasted cheese sandwiches' when they were cooked in a pan. I guess 'fried cheese sandwiches' sounded a bit unhealthy even way back in the good ol' 70s

You don't want to get confused with deep fried toasties though, as for a pan toastie but battered. They're actually healthier than a normal toastie.
 Jimbo C 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the power:

Toast one side, to the other side apply sliced (not grated) double gloucester to within a few mm of the edge. Add a few chunks of branston pickle, a sprinkle of oregano and black pepper and toast under a medium grill until bubbling furiously and starting to go golden brown. Wait a short while before biting or you will have scalding hot cheese stuck to the roof of your mouth.
 Alex Slipchuk 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the power: bellend brie, often served to visitors who fail to wipe their feet. Never had any complaints
 Dr.S at work 07 Nov 2012
In reply to the power:
roquefort works quite well
rockchomper 09 Nov 2012
In reply to Steph-in-the-West:
toast one side, warm the other side, lashings of butter, first the sliced tomatoes (or branston pickle) then the davidstow, then mixed herbs, oojjiii......drip,dribble....
....and this works on jkt potatoe as well, mix tuna (tinned in brine and drain) with mayo,chopped peppers and onion and black pepper, put ontop of toast/jkt spud and then the davidstow....off to get me bib....
 ben b 09 Nov 2012
In reply to the power: Of course, you could go international and try the second finest thing to come out of the South Island of NZ: cheese rolls.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/recipes/6555609/White-breads-on...

Also known as "Southland Sushi". With a degree of irony, admittedly. But definitely worth a go.

b
 Kimono 09 Nov 2012
In reply to the power:
pataks brinjal chutney, then cheese, then grill
 Owen W-G 09 Nov 2012
In reply to kieran b:

Caerphilly + Mustard + splash of beer
Removed User 11 Nov 2012
In reply to the power: grated cheddar, melt under grill, 10 drops of tabasco, more grated cheddar, melt under grill. White bread, obviously.
Parrys_apprentice 12 Nov 2012
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to the power)
> pataks brinjal chutney, then cheese, then grill

If you move away from the purist cheese on toast (the correct answer is Red Leicester) then Brinjal with cheddar is the absolute winner.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...