UKC

Sheltered Climbing (Eastern Grit)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thomaspomfrett 06 Nov 2012
We're thinking of climbing in the peaks this weekend. The plan was to head to Burbage North but it looks like there are going to be some nippy westerlies coming in and my girlfriend feels the cold pretty badly. Can anyone recommend a crag in Eastern Grit that's reasonably sheltered?

Cheers

Tom
 Neil Henson 06 Nov 2012
In reply to thomaspomfrett: Rivelin
 Mark Bull 06 Nov 2012
In reply to thomaspomfrett:

This thread might help: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=523084
 deepsoup 06 Nov 2012
> in the peaks
<sharp intake of breath>

Rivelin is very sheltered and a really lovely little crag, quite likely to be busy.

Lawrencefield, similarly. (Yet, strangely, my partner and I had the place completely to ourselves for most of a sunny Sunday afternoon a couple of weeks ago.)

Froggatt can often be a bit of a sun trap, though the top isn't nearly as sheltered as the bottom.

Turning Stone Edge faces East and has a thick tangle of Rhododendrons at the top (bottom, middle...) Bit esoteric for a visit from afar possibly, but there are a few gems there and you can't get much more sheltered from a cold westerly wind.
 rustaldo 06 Nov 2012
Another vote for Rivelin, was there weekend just gone, zero wind on the top at the belay. Also went to Froggatt but was much windier there later in the day, caught plenty of sun though.
 jwa 06 Nov 2012
Lawrencefield and Rivelin were pleasant the weekend just gone when the rest of the Peak District was getting a bit of a battering.
 Simon Caldwell 06 Nov 2012

Cratcliffe
 Offwidth 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Toreador:

Rivelin, Cratcliffe, Hobson Moor (and various onscure moorland quarries)lots of obscure Froggatt guide crags like Matlock Bank. Wharncliffe and Froggatt worth a look if the wind isn't too strong from the west. Turning Stone and Ramshaw worth a look after morning sun.
Thanks for all of the replies. I was at Rivelin for the first time a couple of weekends back and loved it so if the winds are up we might head there. Fingers crossed the rain holds off!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...