UKC

Old Farts trip - Stanage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 07 Nov 2012
Just a heads up for you guys that we have arranged an old farts trip to Stanage at the weekend. Hope you don't mind.

We'll try and be as conspicuous as possible;
We'll talk very loudly about how polished Crack and Corner has become since the sixties.
We'll offer, nay give, unlimited advice to anyone who looks younger than us and has paused on a climb.
We will quickly solo up any climb if anyone is just gearing up at the foot of it, or has arranged a top rope on.
We'll go, 'Hmmph' at bouldering mats.
We will be wearing Ron Hills and lots of big hexes.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused, but thought we'd let you know in case you may want to arrange to climb elswhere at the weekend.
 Andy Say 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:
Any idea how many of you there will be?
 Andy Hardy 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt: I hope you'll all be arriving in separate cars.
 CurlyStevo 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:
haha
 deepsoup 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:
> We will quickly solo up any climb if anyone is just gearing up at the foot of it, or has arranged a top rope on.

This is rather poor form isn't it? I believe the done thing is to quickly solo up the first ten feet or so, then gibber and faff about for *ages*. ;O)
 Andy Say 07 Nov 2012
In reply to 999thAndy:
> (In reply to Fredt) I hope you'll all be arriving in separate cars.

Separate Volvo estates?
 Liam Brown 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:

Ta. I'm off to Lawrencefield.
 Bulls Crack 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:

I'll be wearing Ronnies in Turkey next week!
 The Pylon King 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:

Can i come and bring my wind up dansette up with me?
Hounds 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:

This made me laugh... I would say PMSL but I fear that is a youngster's expression.
andic 07 Nov 2012
In reply to deepsoup:

That is for balking lead climbers, I think you are actually supposed to chase top ropers up the climb and nip at their ankles
 SiWood 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:

Good luck - hope you get all the problems/routes sent
Will you be doing trad or TR ?
 Ava Adore 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:

Will there be red socks?
 xplorer 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:

Very Very Very STRANGE!!!
 deepsoup 07 Nov 2012
In reply to xplorer:
Not at Stanage.
Though it is unusual for the old farts to give advance notice on here. :O)
 Anhibian 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt: Hahaha this is hilarious
 Jonny2vests 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:
> (In reply to Fredt)
>
> Can i come and bring my wind up dansette up with me?

Your not old enough.
 TMM 07 Nov 2012
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to xplorer)
> Not at Stanage.
> Though it is unusual for the old farts to give advance notice on here. :O)

Must have received assistance from their offspring.
 Ramblin dave 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:
Hi Fred!

I'd just like to say that I ran into your trip to the Peak last week (and the week before, and the week before...) and I'd like to compliment you on the fact that all your old farts were moaning cantankerous old gits.

There's a lot of talk on here about how older climbers these days are all polite, friendly, helpful, well dressed and good looking - well, some of them may be but I can reassure anyone who's worried that your lot certainly won't be like that!
 Kid Spatula 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:

I'll be top roping over a bouldering mat, topless and wearing a beanie. I'll also use loads of chalk, and tick holds.
aultguish 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:
Can't see there being a problem. Come Saturday morning, most of them would've forgotten that they are going climbing and those that do remember, will forget the location anyway )
In reply to aultguish:

And you won't be able to find them, because most of them (me included) will be in a nearby pub telling tales of the Greater Ranges. Etc.
aultguish 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: bloody hell and I was gonna go to the pub to escape the potential stragglers
 EeeByGum 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt: You forgot

We'll moan about grade inflation and try and convince anyone that will listen that Right Unconquerable should be V Diff.
We'll berate anyone using friends sighting the lowly Moac as the only gear you really need
Talk loudly about the days when climbing was dangerous and sex was safe
In reply to aultguish:

You've forgotten that the thing about old farts is that they can be quite difficult to get rid of/avoid. The best thing is just to resign yourself to hearing useful tips about glacier cream, how not to 'cheat' by using chalk, and how to do various classic routes at Harrisons Rocks (complete with helpful hand movements). Etc. Etc
 Reach>Talent 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:
We will quickly solo up any climb if anyone is just gearing up at the foot of it, or has arranged a top rope on.

I'm planning on getting myself some free gear and some second hand ron hills by standing around faffing with gear at the base of a selection of dangerous highballs.

ripper 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt: ron hills? are they some new-fangled replacement for knee britches and long socks (to be worn with faded PAs/EBs) then?
 cliff shasby 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Say: Yes with tartan blankets on the back shelf...
 Offwidth 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:

You're bogus or have forgotten to change your profile...old farts have to be a good bit older than 57.
 Dave 88 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:

In keeping with ukc, will half of you be berating youngsters for not just getting stuck and to hell with safety (just like in the good old days), while the other half preach incessantly about how unsafe and dangerous the young generation are?
 Andy Say 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Dave 88:
> (In reply to Fredt)
>
> In keeping with ukc, will half of you be berating youngsters for not just getting stuck and to hell with safety (just like in the good old days), while the other half preach incessantly about how unsafe and dangerous the young generation are?

And the third half will be moneing about photo-topo guides as a simptom of iliterit and innumirate young 'uns.
In reply to Andy Say:

All of which is of course true.
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Fredt)
>
> You're bogus or have forgotten to change your profile...old farts have to be a good bit older than 57.

Or is 57 the new 70? If so I'm an old fart.
 NickK123 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Christheclimber:
Count me in as well (although I do have a drawer of red socks, but have thrown my Whillans Harness and EBs away (albeit recently)).
 muppetfilter 07 Nov 2012
In reply to NickK123: I have a whillans harness, EB's , moac's and Clog Cogs :0)
 Andy Say 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:
I'd love to be there, youngster; but I'm planning to sort my bus pass this weekend.

p.s. I've got a hemp waist-line in the attic*.

* Sorry. 'loft space'.
 Billy the fish 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt: I’m not quite 50 yet but my knees feel like they are so I’ll join as a honorary member. Turning up in separate cars shouldn’t be a problem; I’ll buy a 4x4 to drive to the bottom of the crag.
 NickK123 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:
Let me introduce you to the notion of friends, nuts and lightweight harnesses ...! (My climbing partner still climbs with Moacs, restrung hexes and Ronhills, so clearly I am not the one to market modern kit!)
 deepstar 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Billy the fish:
> (In reply to Fredt) I’m not quite 50 yet but my knees feel like they are so I’ll join as a honorary member. Turning up in separate cars shouldn’t be a problem; I’ll buy a 4x4 to drive to the bottom of the crag.

If you can manage to tie into your waist loop with a Tarbuck Knot you will have no problem joining as an honorary member.
 Billy the fish 07 Nov 2012
In reply to deepstar: Waist loop? Isn't that the bowline at the end of the rope does?
 Offwidth 09 Nov 2012
In reply to Christheclimber:

I'd say for climbers 80 is the new 70 and being an old fart is probably more in the mind (I know a few 30 year olds who would qualify). There are folk out there onsighting mid-extremes, climbing F8s and bouldering 8a in their 70s.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...