UKC

Winter mitts for Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt250 08 Nov 2012
I'm going to Scotland for some winter climbing for the first time and I was wondering if people put mittens over there climbing gloves at belays, or change from climbing gloves into mittens?

If so has anyone got any reccomendations? I've already got a few pairs of climbing gloves sorted.

Thanks
Simon Wells 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Matt250:

Buffalo mitts, cheap, dry quickly unaffected by moisture. I find they can be slippery on frozen / wet ropes. Very light.

Dachstien, slighty more (£5 more) warmer, harder to get on on when wet, very hard wearing.
 Jabbott 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Matt250: I walk-in in a thin pair of gloves, change into and leave thicker gloves on whilst climbing then change into a pair of Dachsteins for the walk off. HTH

Cheers,
Jamie
 CurlyStevo 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Matt250:
outdoor designs summit inferno can often be bought pretty cheap and are used by a few users on here.
 CurlyStevo 08 Nov 2012
they are 30 quid on ebay for example
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Yip, I'll second these Summit Inferno Mitts, perfect for belays.

Montane Extrem Mitts (£17 Field & Trek) also look like serious contenders.

Whatever you get, make sure you size them up, makes entry/exit easier when layering over climbing gloves.

Stuart
 d_b 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Stuart the postie:

What are the palms like on the montane ones? Are they less slippery than the buffalo?
 Sharp 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Matt250: Used the outdoor designs and the dachstein ones, both have their place but I reach for the OD ones first for belaying, i.e. if your not climbing in them too. I don't find the dachs as warm when stationary and you can put normal mitts down your top so they're warm for the next belay. I never know where to put the dachs if I'm not climbing in them, down your top and you get soaked and cold and then they're wet and useless at the next belay, anywhere else and it's like putting your hands into the freezer when you try to put them on again.

They're also a bugger to dry out, if you forget to put them on for the walk out you'll be scraping ice off them in the car park.

The other option is a pair of dachs and a w/proof over mitt, probably best of both worlds but more expensive than the OD summits.

Ben
In reply to davidbeynon:

I would imagine so, they look like they have a rubbery palm! Buffalo (borrowed a friends once, ripped them after one route) have only pertex palms, way too flimsy.

Stuart
 d_b 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Stuart the postie:

Yeah, I use buffalo mitts for walking a lot, but they really aren't suitable for climbing.

I will seek out a pair of the montanes & take a look.
 CurlyStevo 08 Nov 2012
In reply to davidbeynon:
The infernos are water proof whilst the montanes are not. If you want them for belaying in I think being waterproof is an advantage (as you could be handling damp ropes or in an environment with some dripping water and you won't be sweating)

That said it does depend somewhat if you intend to put them on top of your climbing gloves, if so softshell is prolly better as youre not locking in the moisture.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...