UKC

North Face Redpoint Optimus as Belay Jacket (and camp jacket)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 08 Nov 2012
Any thoughts/experiences?
 TobyA 08 Nov 2012
In reply to neuromancer: I've had one for years but will only tell your about it if you promise to use the search function more in future and start less threads that are both vague and chirpily upbeat somehow making them just a little annoying.

Deal?
 L.A. 08 Nov 2012
In reply to neuromancer: Although quite a nice jacket there are better designs on the market. If its the hooded version then it doesnt really seem designed for 'Scottish' conditions as the hood cant be adjusted or locked down in a gale. If its not the hooded version then forget it- you need a hood on a belay jacket.
 jwa 08 Nov 2012
I have one of these as my belay jacket, although recently I've just been wearing it the whole time. It packs down nice and small, keeps me warm. The hood is a good feature to pull up when you're sat at the top of a climb getting blasted by the wind.
OP neuromancer 08 Nov 2012
In reply to TobyA:

D'aww. Only two threads, and both are pretty specific (x exact jacket for y purpose, can anyone find a link to p exact trousers), but I'll give that old search function a go.

Plus who doesn't love a natter about gear?

(sorry!)
 TobyA 08 Nov 2012
In reply to neuromancer: Do try the search as that jacket has been discussed over the years. I agree with LA totally on the hood, mentioned it here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1375

The zip is going on mine, but it must be 7 or 8 yrs old now and I've used mine loads as a general winter jacket as well as for climbing at weekends over that time.
OP neuromancer 08 Nov 2012
In reply to neuromancer:

A search only finds it mentioned casually in one other thread and one guy selling his this year with six threads, but I will.

If you don't mind; how would you compare its warmth to say, a basic down jacket like an alpkit filo?
 L.A. 08 Nov 2012
In reply to neuromancer: Dont forget to search 'older messages'theres review threads on there including one from TobyA asking for info on it )
 TobyA 08 Nov 2012
In reply to neuromancer: ignore the stove and shoe threads as there are Optimuses there http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=1&na...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...