UKC

Trail vs Road shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wee Davie 10 Nov 2012
I'm going to need to replace my current shoes soon. I run on road mostly, but my long run (10 miles) involves 4 miles of trails and hills. I'm using Nike Pegasus (road version) at the moment but they don't feel very grippy in muddy nick.

Anyone use trail shoes for mixed use- including road runs? Any issues?
 The New NickB 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Wee Davie:

Most trail shoes feel pretty crappy on the road, in my experience the Adidas Adizero XT are about the best compromise, but if conditions mean you can cope with road shoes, stick with them.
 Camm 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Wee Davie:
Yeah I'm not keen on my trail shoes, too light and not enough cushioning. My old asics gel kayanos had good grip for road shoes, though they're a bit dead now. I go for road shoes to save my knees and imrpove my balance (when I slip haha).
 Sharp 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Wee Davie: It's going to depend how you run. My past two pairs of trainers have both been la sportiva, raptors and wildcats, both a sort of "trail" shoe with minimal cushioning. I rarely run on the road but when I have done They've been ok, for short periods. Why not get one pair for the road and one for the trail, you wont be spending any more money in the long term.
OP Wee Davie 10 Nov 2012
In reply to all:

Thanks- might have to go down the different shoes route then.
In reply to Wee Davie:

I use the trail version of Nike Pegasus. After they got a bit of wear they don't feel that much different on the road to my old road version Nike Pegasus and they are a little better on hill tracks. When they were new they felt slippy in the wet on very smooth pavements surfaces.
 StefanB 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Wee Davie:

Shoes like the Brooks Cascadia or Asics Trabucco are trail shoes that cope reasonably well with roads. Salomon do mixed shoes, which I have not tried though. (Crossmax and Mission I think, dom't know the difference)
gizmo 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Wee Davie:

I think this is very much a question of personal taste. I use my Adidas Kanadias for all of my running - from road half-marathons to trail runs. I've never had any issues with them on the road, but I'm quite happy running with minimal cushioning.
 davegs 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Wee Davie:

Salomon Crossmax are pretty good for that type of stuff.
OP Wee Davie 10 Nov 2012
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Is the cushioning noticeably less on the Pegasus Trail?
I like the idea of staying with the Pegasus as they suit my wide feet.
I can't use Adidas (too narrow) which is a shame as the Kanadia looks really good grip- wise.
 Snax 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Wee Davie: I use Salomon XA Pro's off road, they are great, but they still have sufficient cushioning for road miles as well... BUT, I wouldn't wear them on a road run only... I think the down side of running trail shoes on the road is they tend to have a softer rubber with more lugs so they tend to wear out quicker than a road shoe...
In reply to Wee Davie:
> (In reply to tom_in_edinburgh)
>
> Is the cushioning noticeably less on the Pegasus Trail?
> I like the idea of staying with the Pegasus as they suit my wide feet.

The new trail shoes felt nice and springy compared to the old road shoes but that might just have been that the road shoes had a lot of miles on them and had lost their cushioning. They fit is the same - definitely worth a try if you like Pegasus road shoes. I think the soles on the trail version is softer so probably will wear faster.
OP Wee Davie 10 Nov 2012
In reply:

Thanks everyone.
rmt 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Wee Davie: I have separate road and trail shoes, but my trail shoes are okay on the road: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/pro-grid-xodus-2-0-p178281?utm_source=google&am...

gizmo 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Wee Davie:
> I can't use Adidas (too narrow) which is a shame as the Kanadia looks really good grip- wise.

I have quite broad feet, but have gone up a size and a half in the Kanadias (the sizing is just crazy) and they're fine.
 Andy Hewison 11 Nov 2012
In reply to Wee Davie: I had the same dilemma and went for the salomon crossmax xr and think they are great. My daily run has about 2 miles on pavement and 4 on very muddy farm tracks. They aren't as good as my mud claws in the mud but are a great compromise and I'm happy to run about 5 miles on the road in them as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...