UKC

changing front axle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lost1977 10 Nov 2012
got a front wheel which appears to have a 10mm diameter axle which won't fit my forks can you see any major issues in fitting a 9mm axle on it. dont really want to use my decent wheels during the winter
 steev 10 Nov 2012
In reply to lost1977:

It depends on the hub - some hubs (e.g Hope) allow you to change axle size by changing spacers. Otherwise you're just going to have a 9mm axle rattling about in a 10mm hole, right?
In reply to lost1977: you bought the wrong wheels.
OP lost1977 10 Nov 2012
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:

for some reason some fixed wheel sets use 10mm axles on both front and rear wheels. just happens to be a spare front wheel and it would be nice to get some use out of it (alternative would be to file the axles )
 itsThere 10 Nov 2012
In reply to lost1977: what wheels are they, cant you buy a new axel. is that a 9mm on the front or qr.
OP lost1977 10 Nov 2012
In reply to itsThere:

thw wheels are are a cheap set of no logo which apparently have Quando sealed bearing hubs, found an axle i suspect would fit for about £5. the axle it has at the moment is a non qr 10mm
 Timmd 11 Nov 2012
In reply to lost1977:
> (In reply to unclesamsauntibess)
>
> for some reason some fixed wheel sets use 10mm axles on both front and rear wheels. just happens to be a spare front wheel and it would be nice to get some use out of it (alternative would be to file the axles )

If you did file the axles you might have to make sure there's no square corners left after you have. It mightn't be anything to worry about, but corners are a classic place where cracks can start in metal things.

It's about the only thing I know to do with metal fatigue, and it might not be needed, but it'd be a pain to have your axel break while you're riding.
OP lost1977 11 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:

if i filed them it would only really be the thread i was filing so hopefully it should be ok

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...