UKC

How painful are eccentric loading exercises?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike_d78 10 Nov 2012
Hi everyone

I injured my biceps femoris tendon about a month ago. I am getting physio for another injury and spoke to him about my biceps femoris. He suggested trying ELE which I am doing but they are really quite painful during (about a 6 on my internal scale), the tendon stays pretty sore and the muscle stiff afterwards.

Should I be expecting this much pain do you think?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Regards

Mike
 koalapie 10 Nov 2012
In reply to mikedelderfield: No. The eccentric strength work is to prevent recurrence by altering the length-torque curve. Symptoms should be absent by the time you start this. You may get DOMS afterwards but this reads likely something different. The eccentric work has to be introduced quite gradually. Talk to your physio again.
 koalapie 10 Nov 2012
In reply to koalapie: Assuming it's just a hamstring strain!
 StefanB 10 Nov 2012
In reply to mikedelderfield:

The ones I have done were not painful. I suppose it's like everything: pain is your body's way of telling you to stop, so it can't be good.
OP Mike_d78 10 Nov 2012
In reply to mikedelderfield: I probably have tendinosis. When I have spoken to the physio about this type of thing in the past, he has said that the first few weeks of ELE should be pretty painful.

I am having doubts about just how painful I should allow.

It is tricky just speaking to the physio as it is NHS the last time I tried they insisted on booking an appt, which I didn't really need. Perhaps I will insist on a telephone chat.
 Ava Adore 10 Nov 2012
In reply to StefanB:

Christ. I should be completely static most of the time then
 StefanB 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to Steff)
>
> Christ. I should be completely static most of the time then

Maybe. Or you might have to adjust your definitions of pain and discomfort
 Ava Adore 11 Nov 2012
In reply to StefanB:

You mean "you great big girly wuss", don't you?

Yeah. You could be right.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...